i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99501

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I think that is a good idea. I may write to them.
The noise from the engine is a strange racket sound. I don’t have a video of the engine sound it makes but I have recordings when it does not start properly.
  • Hyundai I30sr premium auto

Offline POWERMAD

• 1st Gear

• Sydney
I put the video on youtube:

:link: Hyundai I30 SR MY18 Staring issue - YouTube

Dont know if u can hear it but it failed to start.
  • 2017 i30 SR PD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thankyou powermad, it is a bit faint, but get the picture. Motor is 'idling' at half normal revs, immobiliser hasn't completely dropped out and MIL is indicating a fault.
Its not mechanical, certain to be a software issue.
Have you confronted the dealer yet?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Liisa

Very frustrating to say the least. Feel free to refer to this thread on the site. Obviously if you email them you can attach a link. They really need to sort this for those affected and the reputation of the new PD.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Liisa

Very frustrating to say the least. Feel free to refer to this thread on the site. Obviously if you email them you can attach a link. They really need to sort this for those affected and the reputation of the new PD.

Absolutely.
 At first I thought Liisa's start problem was a one off issue. But the way others have come forward so quickly, I suspect this is more wide spread than we imagine. If Hyundai hasn't already been informed about it, they should come down heavily on these shifty dealerships who benefit from the brand's reputation.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Liisa ,
 Please read last page (currently) of this topic :link: OIL SEAL FAILURE_ 130 motor removal
It has hyundai's commitment to ACCC to lift its game in regard to customer relations.
Cheers Gary

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Lisa

I've been doing some Googling to help a family member who has a DCT SR Turbo just like yours, and is experiencing the EXACT same issue.

I'm just wondering if you've had a resolution? Hyundai have had the car for a while now and it's just not "enough to record" according to the technicians, however we have been pushing Hyundai AUS to no end.

We find that if you push the start button without pushing the brakes til all the lights come on, letting the pump prime, and then holding the brakes and pushing start once more, the car doesn't do it.

Videos for you;
:link: Hyundai i30 SR Start Issue 1 - YouTube

:link: Hyundai i30 SR Start Issue 2 - YouTube

:link: Hyundai i30 SR Start Issue 3 - YouTube

:link: Hyundai i30 SR Start Issue 4 - YouTube

:link: Hyundai i30 SR Start Issue 5 - YouTube
  • Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT "Phoenix Orange"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome lukeee. That's a handy tip.  :victory:

Good to know as we have an SR and this problem which has surfaced for some owners makes me nervous.

Interestingly some Early i30 N's in Europe have experienced a different fuel pump issue, so maybe it is something to do with the fuel pump.

Keep pushing. It's a shame because i30's are generally very reliable and the SR is an awesome car.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Dazz, While you just posted I had earphones on trying to listen to the car. Vid #1 really does sound like low fuel pressure. However , each clip is a bit different. I note again like Lisa's the com between key fob and immobiliser remains on. Is it possible that it is picking up another signal from some source?
Also action of the tacho is different from #3 to #4.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting Gary. Think we are probably closer than Hyundai at solving it.  :crazy1:

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Gents,

Just so you know we have had our fuel pump replaced with no change.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the DCT models, I haven't found a manual that does it yet.

Still pushing Hyundai... Convenient that the case managers go off sick... all. the. time.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Gents,

I have a feeling it's something to do with the DCT models, I haven't found a manual that does it yet.

Still pushing Hyundai... Convenient that the case managers go off sick... all. the. time.

Out of interest, where are you "pushing"? The dealer or Hyundai HQ?

Questions to ask in writing:
Do Hyundai senior executives understand that they are jeopardising the company's reputation by burying their heads in the sand?
The number of reports we have had in a short period indicates that this a prevalent fault; how many complaints have they had to date? In Australia and Globally?
Does Hyundai have the technical skill to resolve this problem?
Why are customer's vehicles remaining unrepaired with, given current advice, little expectation of the fault being resolved?
Does it concern Hyundai executives and managers that this fault can leave their clients stranded and in possible danger?

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey, so I’ve just called head office today and sent them a couple of the videos to their email. The guy over the phone said to email him what’s happened and someone will call me. It’s a waiting game now ii guess. I didn’t take it back to where I service it as I didn’t bother wasting my time. They keep it for a couple of days then give it back saying they can’t reproduce the problem.
The auto link app kept saying no faults detected despite the engine and immobiliser light being on so clearly their app has a fault itself.

I am waiting for head office and if nothing comes from them I’m going through the ombudsman.
  • Hyundai I30sr premium auto

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Gents,

Out of interest, where are you "pushing"? The dealer or Hyundai HQ?

Questions to ask in writing:
Do Hyundai senior executives understand that they are jeopardising the company's reputation by burying their heads in the sand?
The number of reports we have had in a short period indicates that this a prevalent fault; how many complaints have they had to date? In Australia and Globally?
Does Hyundai have the technical skill to resolve this problem?
Why are customer's vehicles remaining unrepaired with, given current advice, little expectation of the fault being resolved?
Does it concern Hyundai executives and managers that this fault can leave their clients stranded and in possible danger?

Pushing Hyundai HQ

We're always waiting for calls back, they don't really want to talk to us.

We've sent a letter with the deadline as per fair trading's advice, just a wait game now..

Happy easter!

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Hi Gents,

Reports of same issue with the N which is manual only so not DCT only

• i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 @joebris  Thanks mate. Can you point to these reports. Helpful for lukeee , Liisa and others if they have a wider reference list when they go to Fair Trading and beyond.
Cheers G

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Gents,

Reports of same issue with the N which is manual only so not DCT only

EEEK @tw2005  :faint:
 Given our recent discussion ..... a non-starter could screw up our track test drive(s)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dear Hyundai,

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding a starting problem on my i30 that dates back to February.

Unfortunately to date despite my efforts in bringing the vehicle into the dealership on the following dates you have not yet rectified the cause.

As the vehicle does not start as a vehicle is expected to do and you are unable to remedy same, I am of the opinion that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and propose to return the vehicle for a refund. I draw your attention to the recent ACCC prosecution against Ford denying consumer rights for transmission issues in their vehicles and your recent agreement with the ACCC regarding better respecting consumer rights.

As a final sign of good faith on my part I propose to allow you uninterupted access to the vehicle for a reasonable period of time to remedy the fault (I would expect your senior engineers would take the opportunity to attempt to remedy the vehicle) This offer is subject to me being offered a loan vehicle with an insurance excess and conditions that equal my current insurance policy.

Should after this time the issue continue I will have no option to exercise my rights to a refund.

Would get their attention I would expect  :twisted:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dear Hyundai,

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding a starting problem on my i30 that dates back to February.

Unfortunately to date despite my efforts in bringing the vehicle into the dealership on the following dates you have not yet rectified the cause.

As the vehicle does not start as a vehicle is expected to do and you are unable to remedy same, I am of the opinion that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and propose to return the vehicle for a refund. I draw your attention to the recent ACCC prosecution against Ford denying consumer rights for transmission issues in their vehicles and your recent agreement with the ACCC regarding better respecting consumer rights.

As a final sign of good faith on my part I propose to allow you uninterupted access to the vehicle for a reasonable period of time to remedy the fault (I would expect your senior engineers would take the opportunity to attempt to remedy the vehicle) This offer is subject to me being offered a loan vehicle with an insurance excess and conditions that equal my current insurance policy.

Should after this time the issue continue I will have no option to exercise my rights to a refund.

Would get their attention I would expect  :twisted:

Brilliant mate. Best post in this thread so far.

Offline jamcat102

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Has anyone got resolution to their problem?

@lukeee has been posting for me in this forum and I thought I would join in to see if any outcomes have happened?

I have been dealing with Hyundai Australia for a good 8-9 weeks on this issue. I have had flight box recordings taken of my car to try and catch the data to show the fault which hasn't happened. I have had the fuel pump changed and every earth wire and pressure checked.

Hyundai Australia believe the car isn't faulty and have rejected my demand for a replacement or a refund.

My next step is to go go tribunal and fight for a replacement or a refund but I don't think I will go down that step.

Only option now is to unfortunately sell what is a great car aside from this issue.  :blubber:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would give the ACCC a call, the good people at Hyundai made a undertaking in regards to consumer rights. If the vehicle won't start I would say it is indeed faulty.

:link: Hyundai Motor Company Australia Pty Ltd - s.87B undertaking | ACCC

The only issue you are going to have is gathering evidence of this fact. Though posts on here and elsewhere if avaliable, video and diary evidence (film start ups, make a diary with date and time each issue occurred) will assist here.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Has anyone got resolution to their problem?

@lukeee has been posting for me in this forum and I thought I would join in to see if any outcomes have happened?

I have been dealing with Hyundai Australia for a good 8-9 weeks on this issue. I have had flight box recordings taken of my car to try and catch the data to show the fault which hasn't happened. I have had the fuel pump changed and every earth wire and pressure checked.

Hyundai Australia believe the car isn't faulty and have rejected my demand for a replacement or a refund.

My next step is to go go tribunal and fight for a replacement or a refund but I don't think I will go down that step.

Only option now is to unfortunately sell what is a great car aside from this issue.  :blubber:

Welcome. So it is still happening after a replacement pump, etc...

Just in case you have an event before you get a resolution and need to go somewhere in a hurry, apparently if you prime the engine by pressing the starter without your foot on the brake then do it again with your foot on the brake it should start.  :undecided:

Offline jamcat102

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have been given the Flight recorder from Hyundai & a few steps to run to try and collect the data. An adapter is connected to the car via the cigarette point and when the car faults the flight recorder turns off.

:link: Hyundai i30 SR flight recorder fault - YouTube

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:25:35 by CraigB »
  • Hyundai i30

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Guys we are going through the ACCC and have been for a while. They have their mechanical team involved in the issue.

We have been given a flight box recorder to use when the vehicle is faulting. The video below is the vehicle not allowing James to turn it off, it still keeps trying to crank.

As James mentioned above, the recorder turns off when the ignition is started so we aren't sure if it's doing anything...

Not sure why the video above isn't embedding, click the link!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:17:00 by lukeee »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's a hard one. Unless you've had experience with one of those gadgets it's hard to know. Can you get an opinion from the manufacturer?  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I also note that the taco is at 250-500 RPM before the engine cranks.  :confused:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Is this the same tool?
If so, the average Joe will be completely out of his / her depth.
Not to mention the apprentice at the dealership. :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I also note that the taco is at 250-500 RPM before the engine cranks.  :confused:

Thinks,  :confused:
Therefore,  if engine management thinks the engine is already running, it will not attempt to start it.  :head_butt:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is this the same tool?
If so, the average Joe will be completely out of his / her depth.
Not to mention the apprentice at the dealership. :whistler:
I would say so but likely setup to use simply as a trigger or interface into a tablet etc with software for all that other stuff.

probably going to confuse things posting that but thought some may be curious of it's capabilities.

Surely this is a software issue.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal