i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99435

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some help. So I have read other issues relating to starting issues with older models of the I30 however I've taken my car to Hyundai several times and they are not helping at all.

So the thing is, I own a 2017 sr model since august. When it's a cold start the car turns on fine however after using it and then having it unused for 30mins-3hrs, when I come to turn it back on the car really struggles to start, sometimes I have to turn it off and back on as the noise it makes is not normal. Sometimes the imboliser light stays on and recently so has the engine light. This happens on a regular basis.

I've taken it back to where it gets serviced at least 4times since buying it and they keep it for a couple of days at the least. Each time they tell me they can't reproduce the problem and that the system is not giving any problem codes.

I've mentioned such issues as maybe the fuel pump, battery or imboliser but they keep telling me they have checked it and everything is running fine with my car like I'm making it up or something.

I am hoping someone can help because as far as I know Hyundai are refusing to believe it's happening despite it happening to me several times in the week. I know since it's still under warranty and I will be going  back to them and I will be taking it as further as I can but I was hoping for some help in regards to what the cause is or if anyone has had the same issues as me.

I put unleaded 95 in it and I have filled up fuel at different petrol stations so I don't believe it's the actual fuel.

Appreciate any help I can get in regards to the issue.
  • Hyundai I30sr premium auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Liisa and Welcome. Sorry to hear that. Is it the old shape 2.0 litre SR or the new PD shape launched in May?

Can't say this is a common problem with newer models.

I think it might be worth contacting the Hyundai help line and venting your frustration. I wonder if there is another dealer nearby that you can try with the incentive you will get future services done there?

Be interested to hear what others have to say.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are all terminals tight especially the battery?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, it is extremely difficult for the dealer to find the error if the car work when in their workshop.

I think the best you can do is next time is makes trouble, have the car towed directly to the dealer and hope the fault is still present when they have a look at it.

As frustrating it is for you, just have a thought about the poor technician trying to make a costumer happy, but everything he test says ok..?

If possible you could make a video next time, at least they can't deny it's happening to you then.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Yeah it's the newest model, the pd. The dealer said they haven't had such issues with this model yet. It is very frustrating.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 13:43:34 by Liisa »

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Are all terminals tight especially the battery?

As far as Hyundai have told me, they checked the battery and even cleaned the fuel line but could not locate a problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah it's the newest model, the pd. The dealer said they haven't had such issues with this model yet. It is very frustrating.

I have the non premium SR (same model)

I have had a very minor problem compared to yours which isn't throwing error codes and won't re-occur for the dealer. My blind spot monitoring module gets disabled from time to time due to being blocked? Fortunately I get an alert so I know not to rely on it when this happens.

The i30 has proven (via our forum and various reliability surveys) to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, so you have been pretty unlucky to say the least. Undiagnosed starting issues are always frustrating and inconvenient. :disapp:

I'll tag @cruiserfied (Tim) at Tamworth Hyundai to see if he can shed any light on a possible solution. He is a super Technician and his wife also drives one.  :cool:

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

I have the non premium SR (same model)

I have had a very minor problem compared to yours which isn't throwing error codes and won't re-occur for the dealer. My blind spot monitoring module gets disabled from time to time due to being blocked? Fortunately I get an alert so I know not to rely on it when this happens.

The i30 has proven (via our forum and various reliability surveys) to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, so you have been pretty unlucky to say the least. Undiagnosed starting issues are always frustrating and inconvenient. :disapp:

I'll tag @cruiserfied (Tim) at Tamworth Hyundai to see if he can shed any light on a possible solution. He is a super Technician and his wife also drives one.  :cool:

The is amazing, I bought the premium model and other than this issue it's been fine. It's annoying that the problem can not be solved but I don't regret buying the car.

I appreciate your help

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Well, it is extremely difficult for the dealer to find the error if the car work when in their workshop.

I think the best you can do is next time is makes trouble, have the car towed directly to the dealer and hope the fault is still present when they have a look at it.

As frustrating it is for you, just have a thought about the poor technician trying to make a costumer happy, but everything he test says ok..?

If possible you could make a video next time, at least they can't deny it's happening to you then.

I understand it's difficult for the technicians hence why I haven't been rude to them buts it is frustrating the problem is still not solved as the car is great when it's working properly.

I have started the recording of it and do have it a few times on video, I intend to show them it when I take the car back again.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good move, Liisa :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey @Liisa  when the car does this next try this.

- Open the car door
- Close the car door
- Lock the car
- Unlock the car
- try starting again

If it turns off successful, it's most like the transponder in the car that is faulty and isn't disabling the immobilizer. My Elantra did that back in the day and was the problem.

Hope you find the issue soon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey @Liisa  when the car does this next try this.

- Open the car door
- Close the car door
- Lock the car
- Unlock the car
- try starting again

If it turns off successful, it's most like the transponder in the car that is faulty and isn't disabling the immobilizer. My Elantra did that back in the day and was the problem.

Hope you find the issue soon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will give it a go. I'm taking it back on Monday once again.... the engine light has been staying on each time it does it until I turn it back off and on again. It's all recorded now. I'm hoping they fix the issue.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi @Liisa ,

Good idea to have the video, it will give the mechanic a clue hopefully, and enforces the fact that you do have a fault that the dealer  cannot ignore.

From what you say, ( time is specific) to pursue the immobiliser seems impractical because the car does start and run, although it runs badly.
I doubt that the fault is electronic.
As a punt, from this far away  :phone1: I would be inclined to look at the fuel supply and especially fuel tank purge valve/ system.

please keep in touch. :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Ok so just an update with what happened. Took my car again to service and showed them the video. The guy was surprised however, they were unable to reproduce the problem when they took it so nothing was done.

I've linked it to a app now and was told that when it happens again the app with show error codes and that I should screenshot it and call them up to take it into Hyundai.

So yeah they themselves don't know what's causing the issue but now they know that something is wrong thanks to recording it.

So now I have to wait until it happens again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Liisa,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. If anyone else with a PD i30 reports the same issue on here we will be sure to let you know.

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi Liisa,

I've been having the same issues as you. I remember there was a similar post back in April or May of last year in one of these forums about a guy having the same exact issue as you and I - he had a PD SR too. Since the car just came out then, it looked like it only got 1 or two replies and was quickly forgotten. Got the same response from the dealer... "Couldn't replicate the problem" "let us know is if it happens again".

Apparently there was a ECU update that they hoped would fixed the problem. They flashed it into my SR and that was that. Everything was fine until a couple of days later and it went back to its old ways. I was told a other guy before me had the same issue. I got mine checked out at Castle Hill Hyundai.

It's definitely frustrating because it is an otherwise perfect car with no issues. I also don't regret purchasing it. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue, but I'm also sorry your SR is acting the same way.

One Tidbit I'd like to add is, if the lazy idle starts again, try pressing the gas pedal to rev the engine. This will make the car idle normally again and will make the check engine and immobiliser light disappear. Saves you from having to restart the car.
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Without stating the bleeding obvious this is not good. We have a lot of new members (and me) with the SR so will at least be able to monitor how widespread it becomes and also track any fixes that pop up.

I thought Liisa's was the first and only (apart from your now as well) But my memory is not what it used to be.   :Pout:

My intermittent Blind spot monitoring issue (which Hati also has) hasn't been rectified yet, but that hasn't caused me anywhere near as much grief as a starting issue would.  :undecided:

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Liisa,

I've been having the same issues as you. I remember there was a similar post back in April or May of last year in one of these forums about a guy having the same exact issue as you and I - he had a PD SR too. Since the car just came out then, it looked like it only got 1 or two replies and was quickly forgotten. Got the same response from the dealer... "Couldn't replicate the problem" "let us know is if it happens again".

Apparently there was a ECU update that they hoped would fixed the problem. They flashed it into my SR and that was that. Everything was fine until a couple of days later and it went back to its old ways. I was told a other guy before me had the same issue. I got mine checked out at Castle Hill Hyundai.

It's definitely frustrating because it is an otherwise perfect car with no issues. I also don't regret purchasing it. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue, but I'm also sorry your SR is acting the same way.

One Tidbit I'd like to add is, if the lazy idle starts again, try pressing the gas pedal to rev the engine. This will make the car idle normally again and will make the check engine and immobiliser light disappear. Saves you from having to restart the car.

So I’m not the only one with the issue I guess.
Well since my car was connected to auto link, it hasnt done it again. They apparently said they they could not find the issue and had not fixed anything but I don’t know what to believe. It’s not a waiting game I guess.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Its like a trip to the dentist Liisa.
Stick with it we are all waiting for the verdict.  :phone1:
We appreciate your feedback.
Even "nothing so far" is helpful.  :goodjob2:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline POWERMAD

• 1st Gear

• Sydney
I just bought a new 2017 i30 SR and i have noticed the starting issue a couple of times and have recorded the last 2 start up fails both after a long drive for 2 and a bit hours. I stop for about 30min to 1 hour then when i come back to start the car it struggles then stops sometimes it just keeps trying to start for about 10-20seconds then stops.

Has anyone else found this issue or found a fix?? 
  • 2017 i30 SR PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I just bought a new 2017 i30 SR and i have noticed the starting issue a couple of times and have recorded the last 2 start up fails both after a long drive for 2 and a bit hours. I stop for about 30min to 1 hour then when i come back to start the car it struggles then stops sometimes it just keeps trying to start for about 10-20seconds then stops.

Has anyone else found this issue or found a fix??

Welcome. Bit of a worry this (seeing I have one too) :sweating:

Many of our newer members have got the SR. Without doing a head count I'm guessing at least 100 members in the last 6 months. I think you are only the 2nd or 3rd to experience it. I may do a check at some stage how many members have listed an SR as their weapon of choice...

Keep in touch and we will monitor this on an ongoing basis.  :cool:

Offline jonicrypto

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Bought a brand new SR Premium at the end of December, picked it up first week of Jan and have experienced this starting problem on 3 separate occasions all after a brief stopover to go to the grocery store etc. The first time was the worst - it made a horrible racket and engine appeared to be running and engine light was on (I recorded this) tried to switch off the car and it actually tried to crank again and would not shut off. Eventually it shut of after pressing the button again- was fine after restarting the car. Hyundai AutoLink app or the AutoLink diagnostic did not pickup any problem when I ran it straight afterwards. The 2 other occasions it was just trying to crank over but you could tell it wasn't going to start so I would press the stop/start button again and it would stop cranking. Then the next start up would be perfect. Apart from this the car is fantastic. I am tempted to wait for the 10k service to tell the service department as I don't want the hassle of leaving the car with them for a problem that I am sure they will not be able to replicate. Stupidly I did not mention it at the 1500k service as the car was perfectly fine afterwards and it had only happened once at that stage.

• PD i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome jonicrypto and thanks for that! So the plot thickens. One of our technicians owns an SR. What are your thoughts Tim!!!! @cruiserfied

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes Dazz, Would be nice to hear from him  :blubber:

Alternative plan, lend your car to some techie  :whistler: and he can get up to speed.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would be tearing strips off the service manager if I took in a video of a problem, and was told 'we can't replicate it'

You don't need to replicate it, I have shown you a video of it, now its the bit where you fix it.....

Unfortunately mechanics across the board are less and less inclined to go searching for problems. 'Tested no fault found' is easier.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: beerman
'Tested no fault found' is easier.

Yep. More likely: "nothing shows up on the diagnostic computer".
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
At the very least take a copy of the video and send it to Hyundai to see if they have come across the fault before. I think a lot of the lag time between a  fault that becomes a recall and the fix is dealers who fob off customers.

Personally I would use social media to make Hyundai aware of the fault, and post a link to here where others have expressed the same fault. It may just move them to action.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
that auto link app is a load of shit (sorry for the language) my car still is doing the struggle starts and each time it would do it either the app won’t do the health check and it keeps saying put the car in drive or neutral or it will say no faults detected despite it not starting properly. I’ve gone back to recording each start and stopped using that crappy app.
I’m going to book another service in March and Im making my last as I’m going to go through consumer bodies next time.
It’s sad to See that other people are having the same issues. The car is amazing but I’m getting fed up of being made like I’m some idiot who knows nothing about cars or how to Start them.
Video recording it doesn’t do anything as they keep saying ‘we can’t reproduce the problem’.
I’m guessing a recall is coming with this model.
My worry is that because the engine light comes on and the engine makes strange sounds when it struggles to start, that the engine may go and then Hyundai will turn around and say they having nothing to do with it and I’d have to pay for a replacement.

So an update with my car...... still doing the same thing. The app is useless and I’ve gone back to recording it and intend to go back to Hyundai for the same issue they still can’t fix.
I’d suggest record it and if they won’t fix the issue, the recording is there as proof to take it further.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Liisa,
My sympathy , Given past experience with dealerships who get faults that require some lateral thinking - standard solution is ' can’t reproduce the problem’. Then they wait for you to give up or die.
I think that trip to the consumer group may be the solution, however so you can say that you have tried every avenue, write to Hyundai head quarters , be succinct and demand action.

@Liisa If possible, can you post the sound the car is making, @jonicrypto   describes it as a horrible racket . This may give us some clues.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal