i30 Owners Club

2018 pd2 i30 sr rough idle

Offline Cammo81

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia Nsw
My sr has started having rough idle jumping between 750 to 900 rpm have it booked in Friday afternoon for its 20k service but looking to see if anyone else has the same issue, I’m thinking it could be carbon build up on the back of the valves as I have no other issues.
Would an oil catch can slow down the buildup like it does on turbo diesels?
  • 2018 i30sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Cammo,

Sounds like you might have one of the dodgy batch of injectors that have been causing the warm start issue. See how they go with their analysis/fix.

I wouldn't be going down the oil catch can path. If that were necessary on your car then it has an underlying problem that needs to be sorted.

I've had 63,000 kilometres of smooth trouble free motoring in over 25 months. Be tactful but persistent and don't let them try and fob you off with "no fault codes found" or some such crap!

Good luck with it.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Like Dazz, I have to think injectors, mainly because of that now acknowledged problem.

Dont know where you get the theory: "carbon build up on the back of the valves and an oil catch can slow down the buildup like it does on turbo diesels"

It does not apply petrol motors and is also baseless in relation to diesels.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Cammo81

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia Nsw
I used to have a Subaru liberty gt. Carbon build up is a common problem in these and is fixed by using upper engine cleaner( it’s actually part of Subaru service). It’s probably more injector related after reading up some more, I’ll see what they say at service time
  • 2018 i30sr

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Some cars have their own quirks. The oil catch can slow down the buildup like it does on turbo is nonsense stemming from Navara forums and U tube.
Navara diesels = Cr*p engines , and owners who are lost.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Cammo81

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia Nsw
Rough idle has been fixed, they updated cpu I think... now I have more bottom end power but top end is definitely down on power. Also fuel consumption on the screen has gone up 1/2l per 100kms yet to refuel so actual usage could be the same.
  • 2018 i30sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Rough idle has been fixed, they updated cpu I think... now I have more bottom end power but top end is definitely down on power. Also fuel consumption on the screen has gone up 1/2l per 100kms yet to refuel so actual usage could be the same.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us in the loop how she goes long term.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal