i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth skip and stutter

Xebec25 · 18 · 11283

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Everyone,  I own a 2018 PD2  i30 SR and a Samsung 8+ phone. Whenever i attempt to play music from my phone over the car stereo via  bluetooth it skips and shudders like an old discman or knocked record. I've tried setting the bluetooth so it excludes contacts and phone, tried different music apps, turned off the NFC chip and wireless, cleared the bluetooth cache and unpairing and re-pairing the connection. I even had the local Hyundai service centre take a look at it but it's still doing it. Anybody else been having this issue and if so have you managed to fix it?
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Everyone,  I own a 2018 PD2  i30 SR and a Samsung 8+ phone. Whenever i attempt to play music from my phone over the car stereo via  bluetooth it skips and shudders like an old discman or knocked record. I've tried setting the bluetooth so it excludes contacts and phone, tried different music apps, turned off the NFC chip and wireless, cleared the bluetooth cache and unpairing and re-pairing the connection. I even had the local Hyundai service centre take a look at it but it's still doing it. Anybody else been having this issue and if so have you managed to fix it?
Just curious , is it music stored or music over and app into the Car? My Daughter's OPPO plays up using Google Music and Youtube music. Spotify seemed ok but have not proven exactly what it is. I don't stream from my S5 so can't compare and it's not just this car but also the other and both Hyundai, different headunits.

I'm talking 2010/11 vehicles
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. I have a 2017 PD SR and a Samsung S8 and haven't experienced anything like that. The stereo in the PD2 SR Premium is slightly upgraded from mine I believe. The Galaxy 8 and 8+ should behave similarly.   :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Just to  clarify,
S8 BT to other BT devices is perfect  ? 
Is it crap when stationary or on the move ?
Tried another car when at dealers ??
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi tw2005 - The music is a bit of both, some I have stored on my phone and some I stream over google play music but it seems to stutter for both. So frustrating!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:01:39 by Xebec25 »
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Welcome. I have a 2017 PD SR and a Samsung S8 and haven't experienced anything like that. The stereo in the PD2 SR Premium is slightly upgraded from mine I believe. The Galaxy 8 and 8+ should behave similarly.   :undecided:

Funny you should mention that. Our work cars are all base model 2017 PD i30's and the bluetooth works fine in them. Just seems to happen with my car.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just to  clarify,

The S8 works perfectly on other bluetooth devices. The skipping seems to happen regardless of my car being stationary or moving. The S8 works perfectly in the 2017 PD i30's at work except for the newest one which is a 2018 model. I get the same problem in that car. I haven't tried a different phone in my car though so that might be something to look at.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline ntebis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Do you happen to have a smartwatch or a fitbit like tracker connected. I found out that my xiaomi mi app was bugging so i had similar issues.
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do you happen to have a smartwatch or a fitbit like tracker connected. I found out that my xiaomi mi app was bugging so i had similar issues.

That is a good thought!  :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just to  clarify,

The S8 works perfectly on other bluetooth devices. The skipping seems to happen regardless of my car being stationary or moving. The S8 works perfectly in the 2017 PD i30's at work except for the newest one which is a 2018 model. I get the same problem in that car. I haven't tried a different phone in my car though so that might be something to look at.
Would appear to be an issue with 2018 model unit or software. 
Wonder if they could re load software or load 2017 version ??

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

That is a good thought!  :goodjob:

Hi, no smart watch or fit bit. I do have some bluetooth head phones paired but they aren't the times i go driving.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just to  clarify,

Would appear to be an issue with 2018 model unit or software. 
Wonder if they could re load software or load 2017 version ??

This is what i fear may be the case. I asked the dealer if it needed a software change when i asked them to take a look at it and have noticed they haven't done anything with the software. It is exactly the same version as when i put it in.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline Xebec25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So i think I've found a solution. After testing my work phone which is a Windows phone in the car and seeing that work fine i could see it's my S8+ that was the issue. After a bit of a Google search I found a YouTube video about stuttering that showed how to turn off the in built battery optimisation for bluetooth which can interfer in signal strength. Doing this seems to have fixed the problem so far.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi tw2005 - The music is a bit of both, some I have stored on my phone and some I stream over google play music but it seems to stutter for both. So frustrating!
Yep, I have no answers, just curious as my daughter has a new Oppo R11S and starting to wonder if the phone is faulty. Then when I read your post starting wonder if there was a common link.

She's rarely in my car with it on but seems to be consistent though between two different cars.  :crazy1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So i think I've found a solution. After testing my work phone which is a Windows phone in the car and seeing that work fine i could see it's my S8+ that was the issue. After a bit of a Google search I found a YouTube video about stuttering that showed how to turn off the in built battery optimisation for bluetooth which can interfer in signal strength. Doing this seems to have fixed the problem so far.

:ta:
Not only did you explain and explore your problem,  you found the cure !   :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
*forum search* Apologies for bringing this old thread back to life..

Yeh I've been noticing that my bluetooth connection is becoming increasingly sketchy .. It doesn't skip or stutter on every drive but it's more common than not.

I mainly stream Spotify premium. Usually the music sounded like it just skipped a beat, like a CD skipping, however in addition to that I'm now also getting the 1-2 second stutter, sometimes longer. In addition to all that, twice it has just cut out completely midway through a song.

This morning the second complete cutout occurred so I pulled over and kept the car idling whilst I conducted some tests. I disconnected from bluetooth via the phone and reconnected, no sound. I disconnected via the headunit and reconnected, no sound. I restarted my phone and reconnected, no sound. I turned the headunit off and on again, no sound. Like the first time this occurred I had to completely shut off the engine, open the door [to shutdown the headunit completely] and then restart the car. Only after total shutdown will it play sound properly, albeit with a skip or stutter.

I've also deleted the phones connection out of the head unit completely and "forgot connection" via the phones menu, reconnected it from scratch. Unfortunately, the same problems persist. I'm still using an iPhone 6s as my device, however I have not had any bluetooth issues on any other vehicle [current Mazda CX5, previous Mazda 6] or any other connected bluetooth device.

I did mentioned it to the service department at the 1500km checkup and was met with a throw away comment in similar vein to "well, bluetooth can be a tricky thing sometimes", which is so dismissive and unhelpful. So I will begin documenting via video over the next couple of months, which will actually include a change in device for myself and will also be conducting tests using my wife's Galaxy S9..

I don't have any playback issues using Apple Carplay.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Adz,

I forget, what is your current device. Some model of Iphone? I have a lot of trouble with Android Auto but not so much Bluetooth with my Samsung S8. I'm starting to wonder if mine is partly due to heat. She gets pretty hot sometimes when connected via USB and wireless charging at the same time. I'm going to experiment with leaving the wireless charger off to see if that helps. I like the way the car reminds you that you have something in the wireless charger so I don't forget to grab my phone though. Obviously I lose that reminder if I turn the wireless charger of...

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
I have an iPhone 6S .. I'll update it when the new version comes out next month.

Incidentally, as I stream music exclusively through Spotify I thought I'd search their website/forum for a solution.. I found this [ :link: click here, and thought that the users experience in a KIA would use similar hardware .. I've changed the setting from "extreme/very high" to "high" and will conduct testing over the next week. I'm now interested in the technical specifications of the bluetooth module in the i30 to see how much bandwidth that thing can handle. It seems odd that it wouldn't be able to handle a 320kbps audio stream in today's world.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal