i30 Owners Club

Waroona Evacuated

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Much of Waroona (23 kms south) was evacuated last night due to an out of control fire.
Today, Preston Beach was evacuated.
My sister had to leave in a hurray last night and came to our place for refuge. (I have a refugee living with me now  :D).
Their house is OK though and the fire seems to have just skirted the townsite before racing towards the coast at Preston Beach.
All three major north/south highways are closed and aerial bombers are being used.
My nephew, Patrick, is a volunteer fire fighter and spent all night fighting the fire after having been awake all day and today back there again.
They do a great job, these guys.
39 degrees forecast again today with strong easterly winds.

Bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING for Waroona and surrounding areas, including Preston Beach, in the Shire of Waroona
Thursday 7 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

*Please note changes under Power.

ALERT LEVEL:   

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is in place for people in an area bounded by Willowdale Road, Johnston Road, Forrest Highway, Dorsett Road, Williamson Road, Mayfield Road and Nanga Brook Road, including the Waroona townsite, in the Shire of Waroona. 

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is also in place for people in Preston Beach in the Shire of Waroona. 

You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
    Homes are under threat by fire now. 
    The fire started in Lane Poole Reserve. It is burning on both sides of the South Western Highway.   

BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR:

The bushfire is moving fast in a westerly direction.
    It is out of control and unpredictable. 
    Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire. 

WHAT TO DO: (PRESTON BEACH and EAST OF SOUTH WESTERN HIGHWAY)

For people east of South Western Highway, it is too late to leave, leaving now would be deadly.
    You need to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
    For people in Preston Beach it is also too late to leave. If you are unable to actively defend your home you should shelter at the beach.
    Go to a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
    Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
    You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
    Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
    If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.

WHAT TO DO: (WEST OF SOUTH WESTERN HIGHWAY, EXCLUDING PRESTON BEACH)

For people west of South Western Highway, you can leave in a westerly direction.
    If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
    There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
    It is not safe to stay and defend your home, your best chance for survival is to leave now.
    Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with you hose and put out spot fires.
    If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous. 

PLACE OF LAST RESORT:

If you cannot shelter in your home, a safer place you can go to is a local open space, shed, swimming pool, dam or building where you may go to seek shelter from a bushfire.
    This will give you some protection from the effects of a bushfire.
    Take water, woollen blankets and wear protective clothing.

EVACUATION CENTRE:

An evacuation centre has been established at Murray Leisure Centre, 16 Camp Road, Pinjarra.

A second evacuation centre has been established at Harvey Recreation Centre, Young Street, Harvey.

COMMUNITY MEETING:

A community meeting will be held at 11.30am at the Waroona Recreation Centre, Hill Street, Waroona.

ALERT LEVEL:

A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Johnston Road, Willowdale Road, Forrest Highway, Riverdale Road and Logue Brook Dam and Clarke Road to Nanga Road, in the Shire of Waroona

There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is burning in the area and conditions are changing.
    You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.

WHAT TO DO:

If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
    You should leave in southern direction if it is safe to do so.
    There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
    If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
    Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
    If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.

ROAD CLOSURES:

A number of roads have been closed including:

Forrest Highway is closed between Pinjarra Road and Raymond Road.
    South Western Highway is closed between Coolup townsite and Johnston Road.
    Nanga Road is closed between Nanga Brook Road and Driver Road.
    Old Coast Road is closed between Old Bunbury Road and Forrest Highway. 

Main Roads advises:

If your heading north to Perth an alternative route to take is Coalfields Highway to Albany Highway.
    If you are heading south from Perth an alternative route to take is Albany Highway to Coalfields Highway.

Heavy haulage should check Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting :link: Main Roads Western Australia 

RECREATION SITE CLOSURES:

The following recreation sites are closed:

The Bibbulmun Track, between Yarragil Form and Driver Road
    The Munda Biddi Trail, between Nanga Mill and Driver Road
    The Captain Fawcett 4WD track
    Yalgorup National Park south of Mt John Road including Martins Tank campsite, Heathlands walk trail, Lake Pollard walk trail and Haywood day use site on Preston Beach Road.

POWER:

Western Power has advised that there are electricity interruptions as a result of the bushfire. Customers without power are encouraged to make alternative plans on the basis that power is not likely to be restored today.

For further details visit :link: Western Power: Home.

WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:

Approximately 100 firefighters are working at the scene.
    Firefighters are using more than 40 appliances, including 5 dozers and 3 loaders. 
    Aerial support is assisting firefighters on the ground.

EXTRA INFORMATION:

The fire was reported at 7.25am on 6 January 2016.
    The cause of the fire is lightning.
    Telephone text and voice messages have been issued.
    More than 11,000 hectares have been burnt.
    The Department of Parks and Wildlife is managing the fire.

IMPORTANT NUMBERS:

Register with Register.Find.Reunite. to let your family and loved ones know you are OK in person at the Evacuation Centre or via :link: Register.Find.Reunite.  from any computer or mobile device.

If you are unable to contact a loved one who may have been affected by the fires visit the Red Cross website :link: Register.Find.Reunite.   

KEEP UP TO DATE:

Visit :link: DFES Alerts and Warnings, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.

Updates will be provided every hour unless the situation changes.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Cripes - by the time you have read all that - the fire could have reached you.

It's a dreadful problem and I feel truly sorry for those effected.

It's a pity we can't send you the rain that is causing all the floods here in the UK
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, that would be nice.
Or all the rain from the floods on the east coast of Australia.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hopefully that storm forecast for this afternoon comes in quick, fighting fires in 39c weather is terrible.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hopefully that storm forecast for this afternoon comes in quick, fighting fires in 39c weather is terrible.

That would be good for the rain, but bad for the lightening, as that is what started the fire in the first place.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

That would be good for the rain, but bad for the lightening, as that is what started the fire in the first place.
Praying for a shxt load of rain :Prayer:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The fire has changed direction, now heading south-west and Harvey townsite is now under threat.
The evacuation centre previously established in Harvey is now closed.
Not good.

Thursday 7 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

​*Please note new EMERGENCY WARNING for Harvey townsite and surrounding areas and changes to evacuation centre and bushfire behaviour.

ALERT LEVEL:   

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is in place for people in an area bounded by Willowdale Road, Johnston Road, Forrest Highway, Dorsett Road, Williamson Road, Mayfield Road and Nanga Brook Road, including the Waroona townsite, in the Shire of Waroona. 

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is also in place for people in Preston Beach in the Shire of Waroona. 

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is also in place for people in Harvey townsite and surrounding areas in the Shire of Harvey.   

You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
    Homes are under threat by fire now. 

BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR:

The bushfire is moving fast in a south westerly direction. 
    It is out of control and unpredictable. 
    Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire. 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not Good say dazz, master of the understatement :-(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I heard about some of the evacuations on the radio today.  Apparently there are more than a few people that are choosing to ignore the "evacuate" message from the emergency services.  They are putting themselves and emergency services personnel at risk. 

Please, when the emergency services tell you to evacuate, it means leave, as soon as possible.  You can rebuild a house, you can't unkill yourself.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Last I heard is the warnings have been put out to those as far as Australind, the fire now stretches 100km's with temperatures still 38c at 6pm and 60kph winds expected this evening.

Sorry I heard wrong, Australind is the evacuation point.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, that's right, Craig.
My nephew, Patrick, has had a short rest and is now going back into the fire zone to fight the fire.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

An Emergency Situation has been declared for the Shires of Harvey and Waroona

As the easterly winds are picking up at night time, hopefully they can contain this huge fire.

Thursday 7 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

​* An Emergency Situation has been declared for the Shires of Harvey and Waroona.
* Please note changes under alert level and extra information.
* Motorists are asked to avoid non essential travel through the area.
* If you must travel please ensure your petrol tank is full before you depart.

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING remains in place for people in an area bounded by Forrest Highway, Dorsett Road, Williamson Road, Mayfield Road, South Western Highway, Nanga Brook Road, Dawn Creek Road to Murray River, Murray River to Driver Road, Logue Brook Road, Dupont Road, Tallanalla Road, Harvey-Quindanning Road in the Shires of Waroona and Harvey.

This includes the town sites of Waroona, Hamel, Yarloop and Harvey.

A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING is also in place for people in Preston Beach and Lake Clifton in the Shire of Waroona.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• Homes are under threat by fire at Preston Beach, Lake Clifton, Waroona and Yarloop.
• It is not safe to leave these locations, excluding Lake Clifton, where it is safe to leave in a northerly direction.
• The fire has breached containment lines under influence of strong winds, life and asset protection is a priority.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The fire has burnt through 60,000 hectares so far, Yarloop has just about been wiped off the map with 95 houses - school and historical buildings lost overnight.

High temperatures with strong winds and lightning storms about means the fire is still out of control and threatening more towns.

:link: WA bushfire: Three people missing, 95 homes lost in Yarloop after blaze rips through town

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The only good news is apparently one of the missing 3 has turned up.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

All three now accounted for.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Good news!!  As said previously, buildings can be rebuilt, you can't undead yourself.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:brilliant: and amazing in the circumstances!  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal