i30 Owners Club

PD Active interior bulb upgrade to LED's

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So after reading a few posts on here I thought I would change my bulbs to LED ones in my I30 and along the way I took photos of it all in case other people wanted to see the process. All up i got 10 of each bulb in packs off ebay for about $6 a pack. Just be careful if the old bulbs have been on recently because they will be really hot. Also if the bulb doesn't work then either you have put it in the wrong way so just flip it round so the positive and neg are the right way round. There is also a chance you might blow the fuse. For the lights it is a 7.5a micro2 fuse in my active.

I did the lights in the sun-glass holder and also the number plate ones which were T10 bulbs. Then did the vanity lights under the sun-visors, also the central dome light and the boot interior light which were all 31mm festoon.

so to do the sun-glass holder lights i opened the holder up where the glasses go and undid the two screws inside and the whole unit came out then from above disconnected the power cable to it and twisted and pulled the bulb out the top. The old bulb slid out and the new one in. Then just plugged power back in to make the sure bulb was around the correct way then when i was happy it lit up i screwed the bulb back in and put the sun-glass holder back and screwed it to the roof again

Then next for the number plate bulbs i got a screwdriver and pushed the tab over and that side of it dropped out. Disconnected the power then took the bulb out of its holder, put the new one in. made sure it was in the right way round then inserted it back into the bumper.

Once they were in i moved onto the 31mm Festoon bulbs. For the Vanity light under the sun visors the whole unit just pulls down then out and then you can see the bulb from above and change it over. The ones i got were a little bit wide but still fit in alright.

Next was the center dome. This was the only one that needs to have it's cover pried off with a slim Flathead screw driver or similar. You will see on one side there is two indents just insert in them and gently pry and it will come away. Don't be too rough or you could damage the plastic. Make sure the light is off and remove the old bulb and insert the new one. Test to make sure its inserted the right way round then just click the cover back on.

With the boot light the unit came out then the cover popped off it. The bulb came out and new one in.

Hope this can help others thinking about doing it. It took about 15 mins max to change them all over and cost about $12. I took lots more photos so if you have any questions let me know.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So after reading a few posts on here I thought I would change my bulbs to LED ones in my I30 and along the way I took photos of it all in case other people wanted to see the process. All up i got 10 of each bulb in packs off ebay for about $6 a pack. Just be careful if the old bulbs have been on recently because they will be really hot. Also if the bulb doesn't work then either you have put it in the wrong way so just flip it round so the positive and neg are the right way round. There is also a chance you might blow the fuse. For the lights it is a 7.5a micro2 fuse in my active.

I did the lights in the sun-glass holder and also the number plate ones which were T10 bulbs. Then did the vanity lights under the sun-visors, also the central dome light and the boot interior light which were all 31mm festoon.

so to do the sun-glass holder lights i opened the holder up where the glasses go and undid the two screws inside and the whole unit came out then from above disconnected the power cable to it and twisted and pulled the bulb out the top. The old bulb slid out and the new one in. Then just plugged power back in to make the sure bulb was around the correct way then when i was happy it lit up i screwed the bulb back in and put the sun-glass holder back and screwed it to the roof again

Then next for the number plate bulbs i got a screwdriver and pushed the tab over and that side of it dropped out. Disconnected the power then took the bulb out of its holder, put the new one in. made sure it was in the right way round then inserted it back into the bumper.

Once they were in i moved onto the 31mm Festoon bulbs. For the Vanity light under the sun visors the whole unit just pulls down then out and then you can see the bulb from above and change it over. The ones i got were a little bit wide but still fit in alright.

Next was the center dome. This was the only one that needs to have it's cover pried off with a slim Flathead screw driver or similar. You will see on one side there is two indents just insert in them and gently pry and it will come away. Don't be too rough or you could damage the plastic. Make sure the light is off and remove the old bulb and insert the new one. Test to make sure its inserted the right way round then just click the cover back on.

With the boot light the unit came out then the cover popped off it. The bulb came out and new one in.

Hope this can help others thinking about doing it. It took about 15 mins max to change them all over and cost about $12. I took lots more photos so if you have any questions let me know.
Nice, I like the crisp white lights, question though. Are these dimmable? just thinking when the car is locked and they fade away although I guess it really does not matter.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@tw2005 Yeah! the LED's fade out just as the halogens do, they do on mine anyway :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Galixia,

Brilliant post. Always appreciate newish members who make an extra effort to contribute info and particularly photos!   :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal