i30 Owners Club

SatNav Updates without Dealership Servicing

Kovacs · 7 · 2131

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone was aware of a method to update the SatNav in the PD i30 without having to go to the dealership to have this done?

Thanks
  • 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not that I’ve seen or heard, they’re free to get updated so leave the risk in Hyundai’s hands :)

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression from Hyundai's website that you could only obtain 'free' map updates if you had the car serviced with them, which is something I'm reluctant to do at present and we only have the one dealer in town unfortunately.

• 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Kovacs,

I'm a real tight arse, but I have decided with the fixed price servicing it's not worth the hassle of either doing the servicing myself or shopping for a cheaper independent. I do tend to supply my own oil though which is then removed from the bill. Usually I get better oil than the dealers would use for less than what they take off the bill. 

I also switch the air filter in my car to a K & N reusable one which also saves money on every 3rd or 4th service (soon pays for itself)

This gives you the free Nav updates, free roadside assistance, a free wash and vacuum and a bit of peace of mind with your warranty cover.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression from Hyundai's website that you could only obtain 'free' map updates if you had the car serviced with them, which is something I'm reluctant to do at present and we only have the one dealer in town unfortunately.
I don't think you have much choice, Hyundai is the only supplier in Australia that I know of.

I have seen Hyundai UK put maps up on their website before but we don't seem to do it here.

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I'm no expert and haven't tried this at all and you will do so at your own risk. But I believe the maps live on the SD card that's accessed from below the screen and above the Hazard lights button. I heard that Hyundai just pull the card and plug it into their computer and update the maps that way each time. If that was the case, if you have a mate with an I30 that services with Hyundai you could ask them really nicely to take a copy of their card and apply it to yours.

Of course I would take a proper backup of the current card first just in case. Also the card prob has other stuff on it like favorites and home location etc.

But I'm like Dazzler. The price of servicing is cheap enough with Hyundai and you get the maps and roadside assist for a year as well anyways included. I managed to talk the dealer into 3 years free servicing with my car so i'll ride that out then change the air filter to a K&N and also provide oil too. I wish my dealer did washes and vacuums but...
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wish my dealer did washes and vacuums but...

The quality of those varies and I think some prefer their car not to be washed with a mop as I suspect mine is... But for various reasons I think I might get looked after better than most. :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal