i30 Owners Club

2012 leather steering wheel cracked/peeling

kroner · 27 · 7471

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
just bought a second hand premium for an great price, but has a few little cosmetic issues that I'm planning to address (If it makes $ sense)
leather steering wheel has some big cracks, little chunks missing.
the 1st owner was a lady with long fingernails  haha, i wouldn't be surprised if that helped.

found this kit, but not sure of the quality, though it has some good reviews.
:link: Artificial Leather car steering wheel braid for Hyundai Avante i30 2012 2016/Custom made Steering cover-in Steering Covers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on

thanks
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:51:06 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can't predict the quality but I would consider it a worthy replacement for the price. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thanks Gonz.
is the original removable?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
thanks Gonz.

Not usually.  Normally the new one goes over the top. I like stitching new covers on for some reason!   :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
thanks Gonz.

Not usually.  Normally the new one goes over the top. I like stitching new covers on for some reason!   :crazy1:
That would be your feminine side showing :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thanks Gonz.

Got any pics of your work Daz?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Some of those covers look nice :goodjob2: searching around and found a reputable eBay manufacturer/seller for them who do custom work in fake or real leathers :link: MEWANT official store | eBay Stores

Their YT site vids seem quite helpful :link: Ouyue MEWANT - YouTube

It's got me thinking about one of these myself now to spruce up the toy :whistler: nothing to flashy though I do like their black with red inserts but it'd be a bit loud to suit my interior, just a black perforated leather with light grey stitching to match the seats for me :) I'd been contemplating getting a leather wheel from a wrecker for a while but I think one of these leather covers still work out a little cheaper without the hassle of pulling off the wheel.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Some of those covers look nice :goodjob2: searching around and found a reputable eBay manufacturer/seller for them who do custom work in fake or real leathers :link: MEWANT official store | eBay Stores

Their YT site vids seem quite helpful :link: Ouyue MEWANT - YouTube

It's got me thinking about one of these myself now to spruce up the toy :whistler: nothing to flashy though I do like their black with red inserts but it'd be a bit loud to suit my interior, just a black perforated leather with light grey stitching to match the seats for me :) I'd been contemplating getting a leather wheel from a wrecker for a while but I think one of these leather covers still work out a little cheaper without the hassle of pulling off the wheel.
You know it's only a  single nut holding that wheel. :rolleyes: :snigger:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@CraigB  By the way, have you ever taken it off? This darn i40 with it's defective vol controls. Bag's been off twice ,wheel's been off once. At least for the airbag it's spring loaded pins you depress in as opposed to the torx bolts.  Just curious if that concept was used in the GD as well?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB  By the way, have you ever taken it off? This darn i40 with it's defective vol controls. Bag's been off twice ,wheel's been off once. At least for the airbag it's spring loaded pins you depress in as opposed to the torx bolts.  Just curious if that concept was used in the GD as well?
I wouldn't have a clue mate, never needed to remove mine yet :Dunno:

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
ver taken it off? This dar
I did it on my FD, it wasn't such a big deal, probably took me an hour to replace the clock spring, and the steering wheel.
just need to make sure you remove the battery, before disconnecting the airbag, in case it goes poof
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ver taken it off? This dar
I did it on my FD, it wasn't such a big deal, probably took me an hour to replace the clock spring, and the steering wheel.
just need to make sure you remove the battery, before disconnecting the airbag, in case it goes poof
It very may well be that. It's heat affected but also randomly works then does not, I have the buttons, I'll try that but I have a feeling it will be back. .Cruise side is ok

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks Gonz.

That would be your feminine side showing :P

Actually it's probably because my grandmother on my Dad's side was a Gable from Gambles shoe factory. Now long gone unfortunately,  but I've always liked working with leather...  :evil:

thanks Gonz.

Got any pics of your work Daz?
I did stitch one from Ebay on a previous Camry Hybrid and posted pix of the result on here somewhere.  But my best efforts were done from scraps of leather I cut to size and shape on some older cars many years ago and unfortunately got no idea where photos of them would be.

I actually found stitching them on with good qualty hat elastic worked better than the thread often supplied.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

• Adelaide Hills and beyond
I'd love a decent leather steering wheel cover for my PD. The plastic used on the wheels are pretty hard, and I tend to have really dry hands, so the wheel kinda kept slipping in my grip.
I've resorted to using one of those RM Williams leather covers which has helped a tonne, but I don't like print on them and I don't like the gap either, but it's better than nothing.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2.0lt Manual Go Platinum Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I ended up ordering one of the MEWANT premium leather covers, not quite the two hour job as mentioned in the ad's...about ten hours and three coffee's for me :faint:

She's come up as good as a factory wheel though so I'm glad I took my time with it

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I ended up ordering one of the MEWANT premium leather covers, not quite the two hour job as mentioned in the ad's...about ten hours and three coffee's for me :faint:

She's come up as good as a factory wheel though so I'm glad I took my time with it

What's the hourly rate? And the PO Box number. Is that a new skin on top of the old? How does it feel , thicknesss wise? :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What's the hourly rate? And the PO Box number. Is that a new skin on top of the old? How does it feel , thicknesss wise? :goodjob2:
Too much if it takes ten hours $$$ :D

It's a MEWANT leather cover that goes straight over the existing standard rubber wheel, when ordering you choose the type to suit whether you're covering the standard or leather wheel and what style/pattern and thread colour.

Feels great under hand, it's quite thin (roughly 0.8mm) so once all stretched and stitched I don't think would add much measurable difference to the wheel.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I have to say that's a nice job you've done there, @CraigB
 :judges:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

That looks fantastic, Craig :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Worth the effort Craig.. very nice!  :victory:

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Had a quick look at what MEWANT has to offer, and unless I completely missed it there's no offerings for the wheel style in my PD :(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had a quick look at what MEWANT has to offer, and unless I completely missed it there's no offerings for the wheel style in my PD :(
What's the wheel look like? same style as SR :undecided:

Is it this one :link: Top Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover for Hyundai Elantra 4 Solaris Accent | eBay
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:18:23 by CraigB »

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

What's the wheel look like? same style as SR :undecided:

Is it this one :link: Top Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover for Hyundai Elantra 4 Solaris Accent | eBay
It's this type.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They have the flat bottom wheel for the i30/Elantra which is released in Asia I think :undecided: but the closest I could match yours was the Kona :link: Design Black Genuine Leather Car Steering Wheel Cover for Hyundai Kona 2017-2019 | eBay other than the split in the base it's identical.

Probably best to contact the seller and ask if it would fit or maybe they might need to measure one up :Dunno:  then you have the option of requesting perforated leathers/style/colour and thread.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 13:13:53 by CraigB »

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Thanks for the suggestion @CraigB and apologies to Kroner for hijacking your post :whistler:

Offline pug20g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
That looks really good. Just like what the factory ordered.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal