i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230891

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Correct, the base shape of the head unit fascia and aircon will not match.

Am I getting the head unit models correctly? Just did this quick comparison based on my search at eBay AU:

Tend to think that (3) would indeed fit. And (4) won't.
They look compatible in the pictures though its deceiving, the GD-03 is a slightly deeper in the lower fascia which will leave gaps on both sides where the stereo meets the aircon fascia.

You can see the height difference when looking at the GD-03 fitted in my car

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
Here's a better picture of my head unit.

I want the GD-03 so bad, I'm tricking myself to just believe it will fit in my car.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I want the GD-03 so bad, I'm tricking myself to just believe it will fit in my car.
If you're a crafty fellow you could make it fit, make something up to fill the gaps.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I’m fairly confident it will fit ok, as your head unit is exactly like mine was regardless of the air conditioning controls.

• I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline marcelo_pe

• 2nd Gear

• cl Chile
      Santiago
I'm going to give this a go and will report my results here.

Cheers guys.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm going to give this a go and will report my results here.

Cheers guys.
If StokeyBry has fitted one with the same setup as yours then you could be in luck, all the small variances between countries makes these mod's so confusing at times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :fingers:

Offline Teegan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Anyone found somewhere that stocks just the USB (blue one) that works the Apple CarPlay? I’m sure mines dodgy and need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Anyone found somewhere that stocks just the USB (blue one) that works the Apple CarPlay? I’m sure mines dodgy and need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Replied to your msg.

Try running the update again before thinking about replacing components, it's unlikely a cable issue being the problem started after an update.

Offline Teegan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sorry I should’ve been more specific. It was becoming a real problem prior to the update it would happen more times then not, but since updating it has been continuous. I think I’ve managed to temporarily fix the lag 2 times but just happens the next time I turn my car off and on. The parts were from a wrecker but my phone and the actual screen are fast that’s why I’ve leant towards the cable connecting the two being an issue. I can’t find the actual part but found something that looks the same, do
 you think it would work?
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry I should’ve been more specific. It was becoming a real problem prior to the update it would happen more times then not, but since updating it has been continuous. I think I’ve managed to temporarily fix the lag 2 times but just happens the next time I turn my car off and on. The parts were from a wrecker but my phone and the actual screen are fast that’s why I’ve leant towards the cable connecting the two being an issue.
Today is the first time in months that I've had a whole day out in the car listening to music via CarPlay and I was also getting a lot of lagging when trying to change songs via the touchscreen, must be a bug in the current Apple iOS 15.1 update.

Pulling the USB cable from the AUX module fixed it twice for me today.

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
some good news.  Another success which can be put down to aux-usb cables that have had a rough life (or rough extraction by the wrecker).  I procrastinated for AGES before pulling apart the dash again for what I feared would be another round of disappointment (and the dash is now a 60sec job knowing where and how hard to yank the panels!).

I FINALLY got around to soldering up a JST cable to a Jaycar female USB cable, and it works!!  My wifes phone was a bit hit and miss, but I think that's because car motion was causing a dry joint in the female pin socket.  So I pulled it apart again tonight to remove the pins (which were a just in case if if I got the pin order wrong) and solder up properly, when Mr Murphy struck and my soldering iron ran out of gas.  Literally with one cable to go, sigh.  At least I can see the end of the road for this journey.

The JST cable.
:link: JST PH 4-Pin to Female Socket Cable - I2C STEMMA Cable - 200mm | Adafruit ADA3950 | Core Electronics Australia

A pretty picture of my very dodgy solder of USB cable to pin to female pin socket to JST head..... and a OMG SO BLOODY HAPPY a working carplay.
  • 2015 i30

Offline general2460

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Grafton NSW
Hi all

I have managed to get a GD-03 from ebay. The piano black plastic is a bit scratched and there's a small mark on the screen but it cost $350 so I can't complain. It didn't come with the aux/usb assy and cable unfortunately.
I rang Hyundai parts and they can't seem to find the parts based on the model number of the headunit (which I find strange). He suggested I find the year model of the car that definitely has the GD-03 and call back.
Has anyone bought the parts new from Hyundai in Australia? If so, did you take note of the part numbers?? If not, would it be safe to say the 2016 i30 year model definitely had a GD-03? Apparently a VIN number of a i30 with GD-03 would be helpful.

TIA!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 22:35:04 by general2460 »
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Auto, White

Offline general2460

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Grafton NSW
Hi all

I have managed to get a GD-03 from ebay. The piano black plastic is a bit scratched and there's a small mark on the screen but it cost $350 so I can't complain. It didn't come with the aux/usb assy and cable unfortunately.
I rang Hyundai parts and they can't seem to find the parts based on the model number of the headunit (which I find strange). He suggested I find the year model of the car that definitely has the GD-03 and call back.
Has anyone bought the parts new from Hyundai in Australia? If so, did you take note of the part numbers?? If not, would it be safe to say the 2016 i30 year model definitely had a GD-03? Apparently a VIN number of a i30 with GD-03 would be helpful.

TIA!

UPDATE.

Spent a bit of time on the phone with the local Hyundai parts dept. Apparently you can't buy the USB cable separately - you have to buy the whole dash wiring loom?? approx $4k worth!!  :eek:
He quoted the KIA part number the he found on the net (possibly from here ;)  ) - 96595A5000. He checked with the local Kia dealer and apparently that part number is unavailable in Australia!
Almost bloody impossible to get one!!  :lol:

@jprice46 I'm assuming you already had the correct cable? and that it was just tired?

Ive tried a few wreckers - most have no idea what you're talking about, or, they won't sell the USB cable separately from the unit.

Any other ideas??

Thanks!

Offline Divv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Hi all

TIA!

UPDATE.

Spent a bit of time on the phone with the local Hyundai parts dept. Apparently you can't buy the USB cable separately - you have to buy the whole dash wiring loom?? approx $4k worth!!  :eek:
He quoted the KIA part number the he found on the net (possibly from here ;)  ) - 96595A5000. He checked with the local Kia dealer and apparently that part number is unavailable in Australia!
Almost bloody impossible to get one!!  :lol:

@jprice46 I'm assuming you already had the correct cable? and that it was just tired?

Ive tried a few wreckers - most have no idea what you're talking about, or, they won't sell the USB cable separately from the unit.

Any other ideas??

Thanks!

Hi legend,

I purchased a GD-03 headunit through Grant Walker Parts.

I was of the undertstanding they were going to send the cabling as well, but they only sent the headunit.

I called them up and asked them for them to send the cable, and they informed me that they would have to get the cable out of a car.

SO it is possible, 4K$ is not true, and not accurate. I would not reccomend buying a cable through Kia or Hyundai simply because those companies charge way too much.

Going through a wrecker is much easier however you have to be pretty demanding and dont be a pushover.

Explain to them your situation, and say that you know its possible because you know they have done it in the past.

Let me know how you go,

Divv
  • 2012 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6T, Manual, Tropic Red, Hyundai i30

Offline general2460

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Grafton NSW
@Divv Just spoke with Grant Walker Parts just then - those guys are legends! He's going to do a hunt for me... fingers crossed!

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
@general2460 my original cable never worked, which started my great tale of woe.

I soldered my own using the pin out and pictures from page 1, a JST cable ($3) from the link above and a USB-A Female from Jaycar ($25).  In hindsight I could have gotten a cheaper usb cable from the JST suppliers.  oh well, still better than the $75'ish quoted through the previous 16 pages of posts for a proper cable)
  • 2015 i30

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks very much for this great post , having just bought a 2012 wagon and joined this forum , very happy !
  • 2021 I30N PDe 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt,Turbo 8 speed DCT, White

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Dear All,

I've read this great post on how to upgrade to a GD03 head unit and am about do this job on my 2013 diesel wagon.
My car has the OEM parking sensors and after  market camera that plugs into the after market dash cam / parking assist unit.
Would it be possible to run the camera into the GD03 ? would anyone have any info regarding what wires I need to tap into ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Kind regards , Gary
  • 2021 I30N PDe 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt,Turbo 8 speed DCT, White

Offline Becaben

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Just joined this fantastic forum to post my results:
I sourced a GD-03 unit from Ebay for about $300 and followed VTHs guide to install. As a lot of people have found, the usb/cable is a bigger issue than installing the unit itself!!

There is a quick workaround though - the cable Teegan linked to on Aliexpress does work. It's also available on ebay sellers with Australian stock for about $16. There are two versions so buy the one that terminates with the usb port.

Then, just plug the cable I to the back of the head unit and run the usb end down the back of the a/c unit and out the bottom of the fascia (near the glovebox) and that's it!!

The only parts that needed to be removed were the air vent trims and 4x screws holding in the head unit
  • 2014 i30 GD

Offline Marcino86PL

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Wroclaw
Hi everyone!
I'm wating for ma GD-03 unit to arrive and I've made some research. In the back where the original camera should have been, I found something like this

It may be a connection to the camera, but I do not have A14 and A15 pins in the radio connector.
Does anyone have wiring diagram instructions where do these cables go? Or does anyone know what this cube is for?
  • 2012 GD 5 Door Wagon, Gasoline 1.6l, Manual, Silver

Offline Jingle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Has anyone installing the GD-03 been required to put in a code for the new unit ?
  • 2013 i30 SR MY14 (Phantom Black)

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
Has anyone installing the GD-03 been required to put in a code for the new unit ?
I don't remember requiring a code when I installed mine.
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No code required on a GD-03 unit.

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Just did the upgrade, and I'm stoked - it worked perfectly and it's so much better than the GD-01!
I pulled it from a car myself at the wreckers, but it was missing the brackets. Modified the original brackets to suit and away we went.
Thanks again to the original poster - looks like this has helped a lot of people out!!
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline treker_sg

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      TAS
Dear VTH.  I just want to say thank you so much for this tutorial!  I had it saved for a while now cos my wife's GD-01 head unit only just died and it gave me the opportunity to have the confidence on to "just do it".  Only thing I sorta digress and cut the (black/white) wire off! :) 

Just doing the firmware updates now and really looking forward to Andriod Auto!!!  Thanks again.

If there is any way I can donate a small toke, please let me know!  Cheers!!!

• i30 Nline Sedan

Offline annbdavis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
2023 and this thread still delivers!.  Thanks heaps VTH, Samgregory and everyone else. 

I Recently picked up a GD-03 from New Model Wreckers for $250 via ebay.  Did not include the USB cable or AUX panel.  Figured I would go Samgregory's route and make up a cable.  The USB cord was snipped and the plug was still in the back of the head unit with maybe 15mm of lead attached.  Rather than wait for the 2mm header cable to arrive I thought I would connect on to the original lead. So I snipped off the end of a USB extension cable and connected up the coloured wires. It was a fiddly job trying to join up the wires with so little room to work, but I got there in the end - even remembered to put heat shrink on first  :P.

It installed smoothly (again big thanks - there's no way I would have been confident to remove the trim without the instructions) powered up and all worked, except the USB - it would charge the phone but wouldn't detect a device.  I thought I may have damaged one of the solder joints while trying to coax the blue plastic shroud back down onto the plug.  I tested each wire for continuity - all good, usual troubleshooting - tried different leads etc.  I eventually realised I had managed to get the data +ve and -ve wires the wrong way around.  Here's a picture of the original plug after I opened it up.

The green and white wires are the opposite to all the USB pinout pictures I looked at.  I swapped the pins around and success!

That's the reason for my post - just to highlight the wiring of plug for anyone else who might go down the same route.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:34:07 by annbdavis »
  • 2016 GD Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal