i30 Owners Club

mirror fold motor keeps running

Offline Zoltan67

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Lake Macquarie
Hi ! Yes I've searched for this here, found no postings re this problem, and cannot find a wiring diagram. I did leave a message for one member who said he has one, we'll see how that pans out.
In the meantime:
2009 FD? diesel manual CW in Austalia.

Left side folds / unfolds OK. Drivers' side RHS folded in on button press, but motor continued to whorrrr and grrrr. I turned off ignition but it kept doing it. I turned mirror out manually, it kept doing it. I ended up having to disconnect the battery.
Then I pulled the doorskin off to get tto the back of the switch, pulled off plastic inner panel from behind mirror, finding another plug point, so prob no need to remove doorskin if mirror backing panel will come off first.

Checked fuses to see if ones marked mirror safety rhs and lhs stopped motor, but it did not. I did read later here that the fuse marked clock also controls mirrors apparently... of course it would  FFS LOL.

Disconnected wiring loom at rear of mirror, reconnected battery, got a multimeter, tried checking if one pin is either on positive or on negative all the time, strangely finding nil activity either way.

Anyhoooow, left plug disconnected for now until more info comes through from you guys.

I am happy to just cut one wire to inactivate folding action on driver's side, seeing car's old (260,000Ks) and I can manually do it anyway and rarely use it anyway, seeing they do not autofold when locking car.
If I was bored I'd piggyback off the doorlock wire to jump to these too to make them work at same time, but ....
Any clues or wiring diagram guys?
Thanks
Zol
  • 2009 i30 Country Wagon Diesel 5spManual

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yeah, the plastic gear inside retracting motor has cracked. Popping the plastic trim inside at the mounting point and removing harness will stop it, but it also kills everything else including the blinker.

I'd refrain from cutting a wire unless you don't give a shit. You could pop the mirror out and then I think it's a pair of wires green and red with a rubber seal. Behind the seal is teh 2 pin plug, pull that out and that  kills the motor. You may want to plug the gap and tap the connector to keep moisture out.

You could try and find a smashed one cheap at the wreck and  swap the gear or motor over. The gear is thye same in FD, GD and i40 electric folding mirriors.

Someone has also developed a one piece plastic gear on Ebay (Bross) not cheap but cheaper than a mirror.

Or we can look at a schematic and carefully remove the connector out of the plastic shell and tape it up.

Cut the wire if you must :faint:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:link: Hyundai i30 2007 fix repair not working folding mirror. - YouTube

take the assembly off and pop that plactic gasket off, that will reveal the wiring and pin out, you can see the green and red wires

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal