i30 Owners Club

i30 Premium Multimedia system and Remote/Central locking not working!

Offline judeasmith

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hello.  I own a 2012 i30 premium.  It was serviced in Dec 2018 and had a battery replaced.  A couple of weeks later the battery was completely flat.  I jump started the car and all was ok.  Until a few weeks later i was driving home from work and listening to the radio, and the multimedia screen went dead.  It never came back on.  ALso the central locking system has died.  Once the car is turned off the courtesy lights dont even come on.  The remote sensor and thumb unlock button doesnt work.  Even when the car is on. 
Any ideas??  Do you think it is a battery problem or a wiring problem (are the MMS and central locking using a similar part of electronics?)  I have it booked in with a garage next week, but just wandering if anyone else had similar issue?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:46:43 by tw2005 »
  • i30 premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello.  I own a 2012 i30 premium.  It was serviced in Dec 2018 and had a battery replaced.  A couple of weeks later the battery was completely flat.  I jump started the car and all was ok.  Until a few weeks later i was driving home from work and listening to the radio, and the multimedia screen went dead.  It never came back on.  ALso the central locking system has died.  Once the car is turned off the courtesy lights dont even come on.  The remote sensor and thumb unlock button doesnt work.  Even when the car is on. 
Any ideas??  Do you think it is a battery problem or a wiring problem (are the MMS and central locking using a similar part of electronics?)  I have it booked in with a garage next week, but just wandering if anyone else had similar issue?
Thanks.
I am wondering if there is a common fail point here like a fuse. Normally the BCM , body control module manages all these items and ther may be a blown fuse that feeds both the MMS and BCM.

I would need to dig through the manuals, I'm not familiar with GD series though.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What was the go with a brand new battery going flat?  Recharged and all is well, seems strange. Was something shorting or drawing current with the car off?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm just going to give you a shotgun approach because I'm unsure.

I would either do a 100% on every fuse both in the fuse box in the engine bay and the one on the drivers side internal. Engine bay may be a waste of time but anyhow, nothing to lose.

I do have a list of possibles but I have not tied the MMS to the BCM at a single fuse, maybe someone else can.

Here's some targets. F6 = Fuse 6,  internal is inside car

Internal
F6       7.5Amp , BCM/Smart Key Control
F14    10Amp, Module 6, Pwr O/S mirror, Audio, Clock
F16    7.5Amp , Module 3, BCM,Audio, Console Switch, Seat Warmer, Instrument Cluster
F23    10amp, Interior lamp, Door lamp, overhead console lamp, luggage lamp, door warning switch, vanity lamps
F25   7.5amp, module 1, sport mode switch, key solenoid
F28,   7.5Amp, Module 7, BCM,Smart Key control module
F30   15A, MMS, Audio
F41   10amp, memory 2, BCM,Instrument Cluster, Auto lights, PWR Outside mirrior, clock, data link connector

I think also there's a master fuse in the centre of these intelligent fuse boxes in a yellow holder which I think if pulled out disconnects.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As usual Gerard is full of great suggestions. Thanks mate. :goodjob:

I do think though from the sound of the battery issues that something is drawing current when the car is off. Do you have a dashcam or any other aftermarket accessory plugged in or wired up?

It could be a fuse this time but sounds like the battery is getting a hard life too.  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal