i30 Owners Club

Broken Wheel/Tire Stud - Front 2012 FD

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Hi guys,
Anyone had this issue before?
Changing tires to summers... tire stud broke off.
Does anyone know the stud size  ( front, 2012 FD 2.0 petrol) or part number and if i need to remove the hub to replace it?
Although car has only 60 K wouldnut be easier to replace the entire hub assembly ( i think it comes with studs) rather than  remove and try to replace one of  the studs.
Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:10:18 by Endeavor »
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Try :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

Enter your car's VIN number and you can find the part number for the hub assembly (which has all the studs fitted) or the stud only. I think you'd have to take the hub off the car so the old stud can be pressed out, and the new stud pressed in. If the stud snapped off because it has been over-tightened at some point, it may be the case that the other studs have been strained so replacing all the studs (or the hub) might be a wise precaution.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
BrendanP, thank you for the detailed response. Very much appreciated.

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
In case someone is interested. I  finally got to the job to replace the hub ( as i need to remove it anyway to swap the broken stud. So i ordered a hub w studs. 
When i removed the lug nuts another stud broke! The one next to the already broken one. Great start!
I got to the rotor , took it  out and noticed it is heavily rusted. On the inside wall where rotor go over and contacts with the hub there was a large  chunk .. 1/3  of the inner disk diameter  loose. It was large  and thick enough to roll on the inerior circumference of the rotor without falling out .
Not sure if this was causing the studs to  strain and break.
I finally got to the hub... and could not get it to budge,  even with a hub puller .  I tried a few tricks... none of them worked. Unfortunatelly this hub will need to go to shop to get  it out with a press... as the manual suggests.
I was almost certain i could pull it .. umm not even close. With now 2 studs gone.. the car will be towed to the garage .
I was quite pissed at these rusted and falling apart rotors .. sorry forgot to take a few shots. The FD is 2012 and has 65k kms. Kept inoors until 2 years ago.
Other than that .. everything pulled nicely out.. until i got to the hub.
I hope your day was more productive than mine.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the update.
Do they salt the roads in BC?
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Salt is used very little compared to rest of Canada. No real winter here on the island. Yes it gets wet but this is the worst i've seen on any of my cars.... ever. Sorry for no pictures. 

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
I got the studs replaced in a garage/ shop by cutting a notch of the splash guard  to allow studs to be banged out of the hub and replaced.
Alternative was  remove the entire knuckle, use  press to push out the ball bearing and the  hub.  Much more costly if only replacing a wheel stud.
I will replace the  rottens ( rotten rotors) and pads next week. I beleve this was the root cause of the issue.  I will take some photos this time to visualize.
Happy motoring.

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Replaced the rotors/ pads today. Here are a couple of pictures.

And another

The new rotors ride very well. Still in break-in process. Pads are ceramic. Nothing else to report on that.. except that according to my torque wrench... i have been overtightening the lug nuts. Not very smart.
End of story.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal