i30 Owners Club

Whoosh sound under acceleration

Offline jazzyrath3

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Hi guys

New to this forum. We have just purchased an 2010 I30 1.6 CRDI comfort with 90k miles. Goes good but i have noticed a few things over the last 2 weeks. Firstly when accelerating hardish there is a whoosh noise like something sucking in air. Is this normal or an issue. Secondly and the one that is giving me sleepless nights is the clutch. The travel to bite point is quite short and peddle is really heavy to push. Can anyone please give me some advice.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDI comfort

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day jazzy,
When you open the throttle,  air is sucked in at a fast rate, creating an induction growl.
It's pitch can vary a bit. Normal.
If it sounds more like a hiss or blowing could be a air leak on the pressure side of the turbo.
Pop the bonnet,  visually check hoses, if all looks good,  start and  move throttle by hand and see if the sound can be traced.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi jazzyrath3

:wttc:

Agree with Mick about the noise.  Regarding the clutch, I've had a 2008 i30 CRDi for 7 years. In that period (126000>290000km) the bitepoint was just above the floor, never changed.
I didn't think it was heavy to push, but my Wife did. She have an i10 with a very easy-to-press clutch. I recently changed the i30 to an i40 CRDi and now I can feel the clutch in the i30 was heavy..  :P

The feel of the clutch will most likely also depend what you've been used to, but maybe you can try another i30 to compare with..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Secondly and the one that is giving me sleepless nights is the clutch. The travel to bite point is quite short and peddle is really heavy to push. Can anyone please give me some advice.

We have had discussions on this recently and found remedies. :link: Clutch hydraulic system problem
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal