i30 Owners Club

Battery drain

Offline Richard111

• 1st Gear
My 2009 1.4 petrol i30 has suffered from a flat battery recently after a few days of non-use. I bought a new battery to replace the original factory-fitted Solite, but I wanted to be sure that it was the battery at fault and not excessive drain from a fault in the electrics. So, with everything switched off (ignition key out of the socket) I measured the current drawn from the battery and was surprised to get a reading of 170mA.

I then withdrew the memory fuse and measured the current drawn at 2mA.

Is a quiescent current of 170mA normal? If so, then a week of non-use would drain over half of the battery capacity.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
  • 2009 1.4i ES petrol hatch

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Richard111

:wttc:

How long did you wait from key off until you measured the draw..?  I did same test on my 2008 a few years ago and seem to remember there is higher draw for about 10-15 min before it goes to sleep.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Richard111

• 1st Gear
From taking the key out of the ignition and locking the doors, I waited 30 mins before disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and inserting the meter in series. It gave me the same reading (170mA) as yesterday when I simply took the key out of the ignition and took the measurement straight away.
  • 2009 1.4i ES petrol hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal