Tyres, cheap or expensive?

rcflyers · 55 · 13578

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Trev and everyone else for the feedback so far. Interesting thread. I'll try and make an educated decision with my next tyres, not that I've had any disasters so far.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's interesting how people get a favourite and tend to stick with it. I'm a bit of a Michelin fan, but seldom keep my cars long enough to swap tyres. I'm fairly price driven, but like a name brand. Gone with Goodyear mostly in the last decade but will be looking for the quietest name brand when I replace the SR's tyres. Looking like i'll get at least 50K out of them so that's another 12 months i've got up my sleeve to decide.  :Touch:
Your tyres aren’t wearing well Dazz, they’re the same as my tyres and I’ll get at least 80k out of mine ( 45k already ), I guess all them twisting Tassie roads might add some early wear to them :undecided:

Michelin Sport 4 will be my next choice though, they’re quieter with much better stability and similar 80k lifespan.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's interesting how people get a favourite and tend to stick with it. I'm a bit of a Michelin fan, but seldom keep my cars long enough to swap tyres. I'm fairly price driven, but like a name brand. Gone with Goodyear mostly in the last decade but will be looking for the quietest name brand when I replace the SR's tyres. Looking like i'll get at least 50K out of them so that's another 12 months i've got up my sleeve to decide.  :Touch:
Your tyres aren’t wearing well Dazz, they’re the same as my tyres and I’ll get at least 80k out of mine ( 45k already ), I guess all them twisting Tassie roads might add some early wear to them :undecided:

Michelin Sport 4 will be my next choice though, they’re quieter with much better stability and similar 80k lifespan.

I think they are the ones my M8 Dorian raves about. I might get 60K but lots of roundabouts down here and as you say winding roads...

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
TYRESALES NITTO NT830 205 55 R16 94W $105 , Made in Japan

Only complaint, not happy the build date is 3rd quarter 2015! Feedback left will reflect this

Just lodged a product review on Tyresales with verification and something I've never seen but you get an offer to privately resolve or submit the review. I chose Private, see what comes of it. i like the tyres, not the issue , greater transparency needed on stock dates.

not expecting anything but I will make my point. How many people check the stock date when they get new tyres I wonder?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting. I've posted quite a few reviews on Product reviews dot com, but most of them have been relatively positive.

I did post one about a transmission issue with my previous X300 John Deere mower and wonder if the local distributor read it, as they were quite helpful when i chewed their ear. They tried to fix it without much success and then gave me a fairly generous trade on a zero turn mower.  :victory:

I like Product review and Trip Advisor. I am either number one or number two reviewer in Devonport for Trip advisor now (280 reviews) just waiting on a leaderboard update email.  :fingers:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That's interesting. I've posted quite a few reviews on Product reviews dot com, but most of them have been relatively positive.

I did post one about a transmission issue with my previous X300 John Deere mower and wonder if the local distributor read it, as they were quite helpful when i chewed their ear. They tried to fix it without much success and then gave me a fairly generous trade on a zero turn mower.  :victory:

I like Product review and Trip Advisor. I am either number one or number two reviewer in Devonport for Trip advisor now (280 reviews) just waiting on a leaderboard update email.  :fingers:
Imagine having all expenses paid just tripping around and submitting reviews :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Imagine having all expenses paid just tripping around and submitting reviews :razz:

Yeah I'd love that!  :mrgreen:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I'll drive :P

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I'll drive :P
Maybe HA would lend us an i30N to drive around in.  :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:mrgreen: :happydance: :fingers:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@Surferdude

looking for feedback.

REPLY from TYRESALES

or all of the world’s largest tyre manufacturers do not have a standard 5-year use by date and inform recommendations of when to replace your tyres after they've been fitted - not from a build date. It’s not uncommon for tyres to be several years old before they enter service, providing they are stored correctly - this should have no adverse impact on overall performance.

The serviceable life of a tyre is dependent upon many factors; it is impossible to predict this lifespan on calendar age alone as time does not cause tyres to deteriorate, but rather exposure to outside forces.

All Industry experts recommend to avoid hard braking, sharp turns, regularly check the tyre pressure, ensure your vehicle is not out of alignment and to use tyre products to slow down any environmental damage.

Because of the diverse opinions of all Industry experts, most of the tyre manufacturers have released technical bulletins on this topic to clarify these misconceptions. The consistent message is that consumers should consider changing tyres that are in service for ten years or more.The Tyre Industry Association (TIA) website in the US contains technical bulletins from the manufacturers under the Tire Service Life Recommendations section :link: Consumer Safety | TIRE INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting.
I've just read the Goodyear and Michelin ones.
They seem to cover it reasonably well but I'll send a note off to my mate and get an update on Australian recommendations and warranty periods.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Interesting.
I've just read the Goodyear and Michelin ones.
They seem to cover it reasonably well but I'll send a note off to my mate and get an update on Australian recommendations and warranty periods.
it's variable, some say nothing, some say 10 years max, transport and tyre stores think 5 - 6 years.

i've witnessed a Government truck fleet be reduced in useabilty to 80kph speed limits with 6 year old tyres

I have no doubt if stored perfectly it's probably not a huge issue but How can you tell?

I've never seen 3 year old tyres supplied or fitted before so it's quite unusual.

Interesting they headed dtraight to teh US standards. I think ours are more realistic at 6 and going on my 33+ years 6 years and often the tyres will be hard and have cracking. I know someone who had 7 years tyres on a caravan that exploded

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK.
Goodyear (and I guess, Dunlop) is unchanged. So they've stuck to their promise to retain lifetime warranty (against manufacturing defects).
Therefore no issue if they sit around a while before fitting. However, both the warehouses and reputable dealers rotate stock on a FIFO basis.
Cooper is six years from the date of fitment which is also pretty fair.

I have to say i have always been aware of the dangers of damage to rubber in tyres through poor storage, bad stacking during transport and the effects of heats especially direct sunlight.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have to say i have always been aware of the dangers of damage to rubber in tyres through poor storage, bad stacking during transport and the effects of heats especially direct sunlight.

The effects of direct sunlight are a worry for people who park their cars outside in the sun for the life of the vehicle (for example, no garage)  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The effects of direct sunlight are a worry for people who park their cars outside in the sun for the life of the vehicle (for example, no garage)  :undecided:
Probably not a major issue if the car is used regularly which would mean not all the tyre is constantly in the sunlight.
Trailers and vans which are parked for long periods are more at risk. Also, car tyres especially if the car is used regularly probably will wear out before any issues arise. Not so with trailers.

Incidentally, my reply from my mate came from a ship somewhere off the coast of Spain as he and his wife are cruising. The final destination is Norway. Gotta love modern technology.  :goodjob2:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Probably not a major issue if the car is used regularly which would mean not all the tyre is constantly in the sunlight.
Trailers and vans which are parked for long periods are more at risk. Also, car tyres especially if the car is used regularly probably will wear out before any issues arise. Not so with trailers.

Incidentally, my reply from my mate came from a ship somewhere off the coast of Spain as he and his wife are cruising. The final destination is Norway. Gotta love modern technology.  :goodjob2:
Does that mean he simply got tyred of Australia :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :disapp:
He'll be baaaacckkk!

Wheely he will.  :happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
He'll be baaaacckkk!

Probably  feeling flat or a bit deflated

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
He'll be baaaacckkk!

Nah.
He'll be all pumped up to get back to work.
His employees will need to tread carefully around him though.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
He'll be baaaacckkk!

Nah.
Or else what? he'll get his steel belts out?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
He'll be baaaacckkk!

Nah.
Or else what? he'll get his steel belts out?
Nah.
He'll blow a valve.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :rofl:  :rofl:
Both of you are on fire lately   :goodjob: :goodjob2:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah! They're "Flamin'" hilarious.. boom, boom....

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Yeah! They're "Flamin'" hilarious.. boom, boom....

I find this puts the flames out

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal