i30 Owners Club

Wagon I30 or i40 purchase

kroner · 24 · 4883

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So my beloved crdi FD got in a Hail damage and insurance will write it off.
We've been toying with the idea of a wagon for car camping for a while. So looking to but one asap.

So you know what year/badge Hyundai decided to include android auto and climate control?

I think I have a challenge up my hands as wagons are rate, wagons+crdi next to impossible. Let alone climate control and android auto.
I'm OK to drop crdi but I just loved the high kms, and will still miss it. ( Sydney to Threadbo return on a tank)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:39:27 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very late 2015 to 2016 they introduced Apple Play/Android Auto and the premium model GD's had Climate control from 2012 onwards

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:link: Hyundai i30 Tourer discontinued | CarAdvice

http://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/hyundai-in-tune-with-android-auto-103841/

I Find the i40 significantly bigger. heavier and less agile nut very comfortable. It's an early one, quit soft in the suspension and lacks some feeling in the steering.

Compared to the FD wagon at least. More thirst around town but comparable on the Highway. Mine has 18s with 45 profile, tends tp tramline a lot with any  heavy ruts in the road from trucks.

I'd expect the GD Tourer to be an improvement over the FD and it also kept the IRS setup from the FD where the GD hatches lost that. Not sure about the 3 door GD

all mine are the diesels. Petrol in the i40, you'd want to test drive well, going to miss that torque in a heavy car I think
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 14:24:06 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Come to think of it I'm not sure the GD Tourer comes with climate control, they might all be Active models like my 3dr :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi kroner,

If you pick up the right car at the right price you can always add an aftermarket stereo with AA. Good luck with your search. Sorry to hear about your previous car.   :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Come to think of it I'm not sure the GD Tourer comes with climate control, they might all be Active models like my 3dr :undecided:
Elite, dual zone Climate,

https://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/details/Hyundai-i30-2015/SPOT-ITM-410354/?Cr=0

:link: 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Series II pricing and specifications | CarAdvice

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Elite, dual zone Climate,

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/details/Hyundai-i30-2015/SPOT-ITM-410354/?Cr=0

:link: 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Series II pricing and specifications | CarAdvice
That clears that up then :hatoff: I wish my 3dr had scored a couple more of the premium options but I still love her :) still got the factory DRL's and IRS :happydance:

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks guys. I found an i40 premium with a lot of luxury accessories (more than I want) with 80k and great price in Canberra.

Problem is the i40 is a bit of a boat and it's a 2012 model.

But it comes with panoramic roof.

I can imaging lying in the back looking at the stars.

Hard decision. A 2012 Boat with the lot or a 2015 i30 with a bit less.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:00:02 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks guys. I found an i40 premium with a lot of luxury accessories (more than I want) with 80k and great price in Canberra.

Problem is the i40 is a bit of a boat and it's a 2013 model.

But it comes with panoramic roof.

I can imaging lying in the back looking at the stars.

Hard decision. Boat with the lot or a newer i30 with a bit less.
My Titanic.  spare parts could be a killer. One plus for the i30 there's shed loads of them written off.

I bet you have the full Nav System, Mine's too early. How good a price?

White?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
2015 should have some wty, a consideration too. have you looked at the GOV fixed price vehicles through  Pickles maybe?

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
No, I haven't, thanks for reminding me of pickles.
I just searched in carsales and gumtree.
not many.

I kinda narrowed down the "features" i must have.
Climate control
Leather seats
cruise control (that, if possible brakes, rather than downshifts)

the sun roof thing.. love that stuff, but I'm not sure about the length of the i40, might try to find one at the local dealer and have a look/maybe take it for a drive.

a bit limited on time unfortunately. car will be written off tomorrow, and the boss at home uses it everyday.
luckily my parents went away for 10 days so i got their car..

about $15k is the cheapest I found for either.

PS: just checked pickles, not many wagons, the ones there seem overpriced
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 13:09:45 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That i40 is likely going to have other stuff you may like. Cooled/heated seats front, elctric both sides with 2 memories of the drivers, auto hold, EPB sensors all round and camera, HID, adaptive lights that turn  , auto height , it may have LKAS lane keeping, mine does not, has cruise and speed limiter, rear seats heated, auto wipers. 

It may also have the powered rear tailgate, mine does not.

High beams are a disappointment though , conventional lighting, I like the HIDs though. :goodjob2:

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
yeah, has all of that.
the one I found is premium model.
what year is yours? how do you find the size?

Maybe you can upgrade the high beams with LEDs
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@kroner ,
Manhiem auctions ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
yeah, has all of that.
the one I found is premium model.
what year is yours? how do you find the size?

Maybe you can upgrade the high beams with LEDs
Sep 11, 1st reg end of 2011. It's very comfortable and parking sensors very handy to help judge . I'm 6 foot, I like it, my midget Mrs though loves teh i30CW, we dropped back from a Magna Wagon .

I'm happy to have the extra size at little fuel cost, But I love the i30 for it's handling and perfomance. Both are excellent really ca't complain. I've driven far worse.

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
That i40 is likely going to have other stuff you may like. Cooled/heated seats front, elctric both sides with 2 memories of the drivers, auto hold, EPB sensors all round and camera, HID, adaptive lights that turn  , auto height , it may have LKAS lane keeping, mine does not, has cruise and speed limiter, rear seats heated, auto wipers. 

High beams are a disappointment though , conventional lighting, I like the HIDs though. :goodjob2:

Is the cruise/speed limiter the one that uses the brakes when going downhill?
Normal cruise that shifts down enrages me :head_knock:

I think I'll do my best to get an i40 premium of the missus approves
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Is the cruise/speed limiter the one that uses the brakes when going downhill?
Normal cruise that shifts down enrages me :head_knock:

I think I'll do my best to get an i40 premium of the missus approves
That's an interesting question. Not sure if it brakes, it can downshift whilst slowing using the brakes but nothing crazy, personally I downshift manually anyway to hold speed with all the cameras around. I have a down hill section 80k, I alway drop back 1, to reduce the need for brakes, I hate sitting on the brakes to slow down if a lower cog will do the same.

The logic used for autos these days it predicts pretty well when to hold and when to shift. My only annoyance is at 60 it holds the gear ( forget if it's 3 or 4) won't upshift until 62 63, 2000rpm at 60 is rediculous, I usually have to go up to 63, lift to force the change and then light throttle to hold that higher gear. I'd say electronically it's set at 60 with speedo error that's likely 63.,

A diesel at 2000RPM can be a bit resonant

Have not used the limiter and not read the manual.
maybe I should.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Wow it still has wheels, or is that the first hour it arrived in Ipswich?  :evil:

When comparing i40 to i30 the resale is , in general, lower on the i40. The lack of positive steering got a lot of negs from the punters.
 That said, I was a participant in Gerard's acquisition. Very Nice car, I was tempted but he was so ruthless, I missed out.  :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Wow it still has wheels, or is that the first hour it arrived in Ipswich?  :evil:

When comparing i40 to i30 the resale is , in general, lower on the i40. The lack of positive steering got a lot of negs from the punters.
 That said, I was a participant in Gerard's acquisition. Very Nice car, I was tempted but he was so ruthless, I missed out.  :whistler:
Yes you are correct :winker: I do wish however the wheels fell off jsut as i got to Toowomba, would have slowed me down somewhat :lol:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The sedan is quite responsive and does much better at my favorate corner than either of my Fds. 

Mine is also more economical than the FD wagon was. The two extra cogs help.

Can't comment on the wagon though, never driven one.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
OK some good news.
we ended up finding an crdi i30 premium hatch from 2012 with 64k.
there were not many wagons, and i40s seemed too big for us.
anything newer in premium was over 17k (might as well buy new)

it has everything i wanted, but Android Auto.
has sat nav, but given google maps/Waze has traffic information, it's probably better to have the phone on a cradle via bluetooth.

best of all this was from a single owner lady from a well of suburb with the majority of the services in the logbook (last 2 years were not there, and she said were done with her local mechanic, I think she might have skipped 2018, from the sticker.
no biggy.

negotiated down to 10k.
crossing my fingers it doesn't turn out to be a lemon.

BTW, hoping this is post purchase anxiety, but on the drive home, I noticed the gears changes on the low end happen quite fast compared to the FD. I imagine this is normal given the 6 speeds rather than 4?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
OK some good news.

has sat nav, but given google maps/Waze has traffic information, it's probably better to have the phone on a cradle via bluetooth.

best of all this was from a single owner lady from a well of suburb with the majority of the services in the logbook (last 2 years were not there, and she said were done with her local mechanic, I think she might have skipped 2018, from the sticker.
no biggy.

negotiated down to 10k.

BTW, hoping this is post purchase anxiety, but on the drive home, I noticed the gears changes on the low end happen quite fast compared to the FD. I imagine this is normal given the 6 speeds rather than 4?
Most definitely, more gears , more shifts, less time in each ratio

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes you are correct :winker: I do wish however the wheels fell off jsut as i got to Toowomba, would have slowed me down somewhat :lol:

Just got back from z3 excursion Northward : my mate pulled a picture of his car from the mail.  Setting was Steve Irwin Way. We are all getting them, helps build roads Im told.   :phone1: :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
OK some good news.

no biggy.

negotiated down to 10k.

Most definitely, more gears , more shifts, less time in each ratio
100% agree .
$10k  :goodjob: paid that for 2012 FD Trophy 55k km 18 months ago for daughter.   
Enjoy the new toy . :D
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal