i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 SX Petrol Auto 165000kms $6400

drunk · 7 · 2240

Offline drunk

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth AU
Hi there,

My niece is looking to buy this from a used car lot. She had an RAC check done and this is the report:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Vehicle due for service
- Coolant passed test but looks clear in tester
- All shock absorbers aged and worn
- Right hand front lower control arm bushes starting to split
- Left hand front lower control arm bushes starting to perish
- Excessive tyre noise heard on road test
- Excessive scolloping to both rear tyres
- Drivers front tyre feathering on inner shoulder 
- Rocker cover tube seals seaping
- Sweatyness near auto transmission sump
- Battery failed load test
- Front passenger window wont go up with own switch but will with master switch

- 18/19 Due to attached fault codes present:
- C1259 STEERING SENSOR
- C1623 CAN TIME-OUT SAS
- C1260 STEERING SENSOR - ABNORMAL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The report doesn't look great to me but I have little mechanical knowledge so I'm trying to get an idea as to whether any of these faults are show stoppers or if they're relatively minor wear&tear type faults.

Looks like she'd be up for at least a service, new tyres, shocks, control arm bushes and a battery, so that'd be at least ~$1500 to spend I'm guessing?

Dealer claims the car comes with a "FREE 1 YEAR WARRANTY! (CONDITIONS APPLY)"
I haven't seen the details/conditions yet, but I guess if some of the faults are covered it might still be an ok buy?

The car has a full service history apparently which I'll likely see tomorrow.
I'd appreciate any advice on things to check, or opinions in general please?

Thanks.
  • 2010 i30 SX Petrol Auto

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi there,

My niece is looking to buy this from a used car lot. She had an RAC check done and this is the report:
- Vehicle due for service
- Coolant passed test but looks clear in tester
- All shock absorbers aged and worn
- Right hand front lower control arm bushes starting to split
- Left hand front lower control arm bushes starting to perish
- Excessive tyre noise heard on road test
- Excessive scolloping to both rear tyres
- Drivers front tyre feathering on inner shoulder 
- Rocker cover tube seals seaping
- Sweatyness near auto transmission sump
- Battery failed load test
- Front passenger window wont go up with own switch but will with master switch

- 18/19 Due to attached fault codes present:
- C1259 STEERING SENSOR
- C1623 CAN TIME-OUT SAS
- C1260 STEERING SENSOR - ABNORMAL

The report doesn't look great to me but I have little mechanical knowledge so I'm trying to get an idea as to whether any of these faults are show stoppers or if they're relatively minor wear&tear type faults.

Looks like she'd be up for at least a service, new tyres, shocks, control arm bushes and a battery, so that'd be at least ~$1500 to spend I'm guessing?

Dealer claims the car comes with a "FREE 1 YEAR WARRANTY! (CONDITIONS APPLY)"
I haven't seen the details/conditions yet, but I guess if some of the faults are covered it might still be an ok buy?

The car has a full service history apparently which I'll likely see tomorrow.
I'd appreciate any advice on things to check, or opinions in general please?

Thanks.
For $6400 does not exactly read well and it's a SX. So 4 tyres, $400, Wheel alignment, $70, new battery $200, 4 new shocks $550, 2 control arms  or rebushed $300, potential defective electric steering column $500 used , oil / filter  $60, trans flush $200, and a master switch used $100 plus labour

Otherwse it's a gem, right with a free 12 month wty :scared:

watch the auto, they can have valve body issues. delayed engagement or unusual 2-3 shift can be clues

What's the condition of the trans fluid?

Does it have to be a dealer? Is petrol auto the preferred option?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

:whsaid:

Dealer warranties are usually not worth the paper they are written on. Have so many exclusions and usually they ask the owner to make a part contribution which often equates to the normal cost of the repair required!  :fum:

Glad you came here 1st for advice. There has to be better buys out there.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Codes indicate steering bush is on way out $240, or has been done and codes not been cleared.

Yes, give the dealer a miss. You are looking at a brilliant model   :goodjob2: . There are plenty in the private market, but get REVs / PPSR cert before buying.
 You will be able to find an FD  i30  and definitely GD with lower Ks.
Although even at 160,000km its a young car. ( 100,000 miles)

Personally Im not in favour of RAC type reports. The report has to look like its worth the money you paid.
50% of the so called faults would have been obvious if you had looked more closely..

If you are not into DIY then you must have contact with a good trusted independent mechanic or garage. NOT A DEALERSHIP. The mechanic will look after your interests and give you the nod- good or bad.

At the moment cars are cheap, sales are down due to inquiry into banks and re-election  of the crumbs in Canberra.

You will find the diesel i30 is a bit more expensive but great car and its good for a million Kms.

The slow auto change is extremely rare.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline drunk

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth AU
Thx very much for the advice guys   :goodjob2:

I've only just become involved in this car search, and I have no familiarity with Hyundais of any type, so thought I best check the opinions of those in the know :)

I just had a local mechanic eyeball the RAC report and he said overpriced too.
Estimated at least $1500-2000 to fix up the known stuff.
He suggested if my niece is still keen on it, offer em no more than $5000 in its present state, and it'd still be a decent vehicle.

Yeh I'm not a fan of the RAC report now... that text is pretty much all they provided (doesn't seem very comprehensive) and the bloke was reportedly quite reluctant to explain anything or give a general opinion of the vehicle.

Everyone I've spoken to seems to have high opinions of the i30 though.
  • 2010 i30 SX Petrol Auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ive been working on the i30 and owned them for 6 years.

Have an RACQ tow contractor who bought a diesel FD because it is the only car he never has to rescue.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Have an RACQ tow contractor who bought a diesel FD because it is the only car he never has to rescue.
:happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal