Mutley · 52 · 8850

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
Hi club! It's been quite a while since I've been on here....you might not remember so: previous intro

I sold my white 2010 SLX in 2013 for a VW Golf but am looking to come back to an i30 because of the Golf money pit! Have test driven a number of cars over the last couple of weeks but the i30 has won our money. Trying to make a deal this week on an i30 premium in Fiery Red or Polar White. Just gotta get the right deal!  :wacko: :D

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
John

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcomeback: Mutley

Great to hear you are coming back! Sorry we never answered your tyre question... I'm guessing you know as muchas us now.

The N-line seems to be what most members go for these days but a premium diesel would be awesome too...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Thanks Dazz. We're going for the Premium 2L because we want to stay away from the dry dual clutch trans....even though we love driving one! The N-Line Premium in Lava Orange looks sweet but DCT.

PS. Seems like they still come with kumho tyres!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz. We're going for the Premium 2L because we want to stay away from the dry dual clutch trans....even though we love driving one! The N-Line Premium in Lava Orange looks sweet but DCT.

PS. Seems like they still come with kumho tyres!

No probs! I just had a 2.0 i30 Go as a rental and apart from missing all the bells and whistles in my SR (proximity key, push button start, built in gps, auto cruise,  etc..) I was quite impressed with how it drove. Bit thirty around town, but good on longer trips. I like the DCT. The Hyundai one is very reliable generally.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Yeah they are a little thirsty compared to the turbo engines. I did some research on the Hyundai DCT and it does seem more reliable than the DSG but still...if it were a wet DCT we'd probably go for it. I want it but my wife is erring on the side of caution and going with the non DCT version.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day Mutley,
 :i30:
Go the RED !!
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Haha thanks....thinking red and get some black wheels since the car already has other black highlights :mrgreen:

3 dealers are currently trying to get our deal. They keep calling me! "What do we have to do to get you across the line?" :lol:
Best offer so far: 2019 Premium auto in red with tint, mats and black/white plates - $25000 with trade-in

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Tint , pain & interior etc will probably be done through Motor 1, they use solar tint etc and say its worth a fortune and stay at legal darkness, ask how much it is "worth ",  subtract that from  any figure  as you don't want it.
Times are tough in the car business.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Actually I want tint but happy to get it elsewhere instead of including it for 5-600 in the deal. Thanks for making me think about it!
Has anyone actually ever got ceramic paint protection? I usually just clay bar and wax every so often...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:36:46 by Mutley »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Actually I want tint but happy to get it elsewhere instead of including it for 5-600 in the deal. Thanks for making me think about it!
Has anyone actually ever got ceramic paint protection? I usually just clay bar and wax every so often...

I have never had any extra paint protection. And I live close to or visit the ocean regularly.
And whenever I trade a car in they complement me on its finish and the upholstery.
I reckon if you are prepared to look after the car, extras aren't necessary.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Due to an over confident protection sales person , we got:
Front & rear cameras, paint & interior protection on our Santa Fe last year for nothing.  Cameras great,  paint & interior on list to redo myself.
It was our first car to have paint protection.
Our i30 was only ever waxed every 9-12 months. Our 04 Mitsu Challenger before that maybe every 2 years  :lol: .
New Kona is being waxed as we speak.
Maguires NXT , easy on ,easy off.
Coffee finished, time for us to get off our arse , Anita is doing the inside, she's  getting Kona ready for a drive tomorrow.  :lol: :victory:
@CraigB  got the really good stuff on his i30.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Nice! I probably will just continue with clay bar and wax once a year :whistler:
I am interested in scuff plates but just saw some LED ones which look cool, especially since I like soft footwell lights!

One of the dealers has a sale starting tomorrow so going to visit them after work and see what they can do for us. Black wheel upgrade? hehe :cool:

Edit PS: NXT is what I use too :wink:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:34:12 by Mutley »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wish it could make it so I never have to wash as well  :D  not having to polish and wax anymore is a bonus though :goodjob2:

Don’t waste money on the factory paint protection, it doesn’t last long and requires yearly top coating to maintain, it doesn’t have anywhere near the shine or protection of the Opti-Coat Pro :link: Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia | Opti-Coat Australia

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nice! I probably will just continue with clay bar and wax once a year :whistler:
I am interested in scuff plates but just saw some LED ones which look cool, especially since I like soft footwell lights!

One of the dealers has a sale starting tomorrow so going to visit them after work and see what they can do for us. Black wheel upgrade? hehe :cool:

Red with black wheels,  Dazz will love it.
Just finished Kona, super shiny and like glass. Give it wash in a couple of weeks,  and wax again,  done for at least a year.  I also do the glass with the wax too  :goodjob:
@CraigB
 After seeing yours, I made my last xmas order a foam gun for wash days .   :victory:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
I wish it could make it so I never have to wash as well  :D  not having to polish and wax anymore is a bonus though :goodjob2:

Don’t waste money on the factory paint protection, it doesn’t last long and requires yearly top coating to maintain, it doesn’t have anywhere near the shine or protection of the Opti-Coat Pro :link: Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia | Opti-Coat Australia
No washing...wouldn't that be great! I think I'll just stick with wax for now... :D

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

Just finished Kona, super shiny and like glass. Give it wash in a couple of weeks,  and wax again,  done for at least a year.  I also do the glass with the wax too  :goodjob:
@CraigB
 After seeing yours, I made my last xmas order a foam gun for wash days .   :victory:
Yeah I've done the glass before too. :cool: Wax again in 2 weeks? Why?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

@CraigB
Yeah I've done the glass before too. :cool: Wax again in 2 weeks? Why?
We now live near Merimbula and are 60m from the rocky headland.  Salt spray when surf is up,  wife's heavily into birdlife , snorkeling,  soon to be kayaking,  so salt, sand , dirt/mud roads/ fire trails/ national parks are going to be Konas normal life, probably 5 or 6 days a week  summer, not much less in winter.  Bought Hy all-weather floor mats, boot liner and roof racks. Sometimes it's 2 activities in the one day. AWD was a must, may need to alter tyres. Our Santa runs B/stone LT All-Terrians.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ahhh, wow that is a lot going on!
I do a little of above,  need to leave time for  service/semi restoring /riding my motorbikes  :victory:
There was a couple of times we went - better go to the club for dinner and make time for food shopping tomorrow  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, true.. Here's my SR (Fiery Red with standard wheels sprayed black)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Looks hot Dazz!

@CraigB How much is it roughly?

Just signed a great deal. They are offering paint protection, interior protection and tint for $1745 or just tint for $545. The protection is a once off for the lifetime, not yearly...it's called hydro. Said we'd think about it overnight.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks hot Dazz!

@CraigB How much is it roughly?

Just signed a great deal. They are offering paint protection, interior protection and tint for $1745 or just tint for $545. The protection is a once off for the lifetime, not yearly...it's called hydro. Said we'd think about it overnight.

Don't do it! Tinting by probably the same mob they are getting to do the job will be something like $200 less direct...  Personally never seen the point of interior protection. Even the Hydro paint protection or an equivalent is going to be cheaper if done directly with a retail detailer (if you shop around) They push this stuff at the dealer because it's money for jam... Even their special deal would be at least a 20% or 30% loading (for them) on top of what it would be costing from a third party... But it's your money.  :whistler:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Thanks. Yeah after reading up about it we've decided not to do it.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Now to find a place who does good tint work at a good price...!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How much is it roughly?
Opti-coat Pro about $900, a lot of paint prep has to be done prior to the coating.

As Dazz mentioned you'll get a better price on tint taking it in yourself, roughly $350 at Tint A Car.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Thanks for that info. Got a couple of quotes from places. Octane for $350, or a ceramic one for $450. Another place was $550 for their ceramic one. Any reasons to go ceramic over metallic?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This video (and comments) show the work involved:

:link: How To Apply A Ceramic Coating To Your Car !! - YouTube

Thanks for the link but in his last post I think Mutley is referring to types of window tinting.

@Mutley Octane is a good window film. I've had it before....  Never heard of ceramic window tint film.. I better google it!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Thanks guys. Yeah some metallic ones also block heat...I want to go see and feel the tint in person but I'm leaning toward the ceramic.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal