i30 Owners Club

i30 2011 harsh vibration at 2000rpm

Jones95 · 87 · 26272

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
Hi all,

Basically, the issue is this.. originally, when accelerating somewhat heavily in 3rd-6th, going onto a slip lane for example, between 1800rpm - 2000rpm there was a harsh vibration/ loud noise that would occur. This would stop as soon as you passed the 2000rpm mark.

Pressure plate was replaced in the clutch, thought the issue was fixed... but the vibration moved and started at 2000rpm - 2200rpm.

So far the garage has ran a diagnostics, changed a plate that’s between the clutch and engine (not sure what it is) checked the DPF, the entire exhaust system, the turbo, engine mounts etc and yet STILL cant pinpoint the issue. So now, they’re going to bring it to a main Hyundai dealer and see what they’ve got to say. The dealer I purchased the car from is telling me they reckon it’s something loose, rather than drivetrain related. But this doesn’t make sense as when the pressure plate was replaced it went from the 1800rpm mark to 2000rpm. This would indicate to me it’s mechanical..

I’m hoping this main dealer can source the issue but has anybody has this problem?!? I’m getting so frustrated. It doesn’t happen in idle, is not dependent on cold/ hot and is not dependent on speed, only the engine speed and 3rd-6th gear.

Thanks in advance.
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
It might just be vibrations under full load, diesels get vibrations at certain conditions. Im thinking it starts vibrating as its transferring max torque through the clutch, new clutch takes more torque before strting to vibrate.

Mileage?
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

Thank you for getting back to me..

The car has 90k miles on the clock.

This vibration, followed by the noise it makes in my opinion wouldn’t be normal.. I wish I had the car now to record it but it’s in the garage.. when it vibrates, the whole car does too and it’s quite a loud, unpleasant noise that follows. I’ll try YouTube to see if I can find anything similar and post the link.

Thanks again :)
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

I know this isn’t the best and also doesn’t show the extent of the issue... and it’s a VW... but it’s the most similar I could find regarding the noise itself and the fact it’s happening to him whilst accelerating..

:link: Vibration and Noise from VW Passat 2.0 TDI - YouTube
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline Soegaard

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Danmark
Hi Jones.

The way you describe it, is sound a 100% like my cars problem.
If I apply light to medium throttle, the "rattle" at 1900 rpm is almost none existing. Over 1900 rpm or in neutral the "rattle" is not present. Under load, worst in third gear, the car rattles and moans like crazy at 1900 rpm.

The rattle very annoying, and the whole car rattles and shakes. My car also suffers from rattles and creaks, and I suspect the 1900 rpm problem is causing every panel and clip to shake loose.

I have done my own troubleshooting, and my car is in perfect mechanical condition.  Some people have replaced the fly wheel with success. Others have replaced the engine mounts. I really like my car, but the problem drives me mad. Is your car under used car warranty? Or are you paying for the troubleshooting yourself?
  • i30 1.6 crdi 2009 90 hp.

Offline Bogdan1986

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Denmark
Mine started doing it at around 105.000 kms. Someone gave me a ride in a similar car a few months ago, with 200.000 kms on the clock, it did the same thing. He said he couldn't remember when it started. Most likely culprit would be the clutch and/or flywheel.

• 2012 FD Estate, 1.6lt CRDi Blue, Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

Hi Bogdan,

Really?! Well from the responses I am at least relieved that it is more common than Google would have me believe!

So far as mentioned the garage has checked most of the car mechanically, turbo, engine, exhaust etc. they’ve replaced the pressure plate (which was desperately needed!!) but now I’m thinking as I’m reading replies that maybe it is the flywheel.

Do you think the main dealer should spot this if it is?! It’s driving me mad and I’m so so hopeful that once it’s brought to a main dealer that the mechanics there will source the issue.
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline Bogdan1986

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Denmark
It is frustrating to feel that something is wrong with your car and at the same time have mechanics tell you that everything checks out.
From my experience with dealers, if the car is under warranty, they will do everything possible to avoid big repairs. On the other hand, if the car is out of warranty, they will try to do unnecessary work on it, since you're paying.

I got used to this issue in my car. The way I get around it is I change gears over 3000 rpm, so the next one will engage at around 2000 lol. It is not the end of the world and other people seem to have lived with it for a few years now, without their cars breaking down.
When the time to change the clutch will come, I will have the flywheel changed also and see if that fixes it. But this won't happen soon... Either way, I won't step foot into a dealership service department again.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Jones95

Hi mate,
If you drill down in our search engine you will find vibration complaints. You are not alone.

One thread deals with it in this way;
A long term member who has the habit of claiming some issue is commonly occurring in i30s came up with vibration.
I think HIS 'consensus'  opinion was that the problem lay with the clutch and or flywheel.
I pulled up all reported cases and found no evidence that this was the case.
As you have found, the vibration changed after components were changed.

I argue that the vibration is possibly the exhaust system resonating.
Moving the engine while replacing a clutch may alter the resonate tuning of the exhaust.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

@Jones95

Hi mate,
If you drill down in our search engine you will find vibration complaints. You are not alone.

One thread deals with it in this way;
A long term member who has the habit of claiming some issue is commonly occurring in i30s came up with vibration.
I think HIS 'consensus'  opinion was that the problem lay with the clutch and or flywheel.
I pulled up all reported cases and found no evidence that this was the case.
As you have found, the vibration changed after components were changed.

I argue that the vibration is possibly the exhaust system resonating.
Moving the engine while replacing a clutch may alter the resonate tuning of the exhaust.

I’m quite new here so still figuring everything out regarding looking at certain threads etc. Firstly though, I’m so happy to know more people are having this issue as it’s infuriating especially with a mechanic telling you otherwise.

I’m also very thankful that you took the time to look into it. I’m new to this forum but also new to Hyundai. I love the car, but this has been very annoying. The mechanics checked the DPF, turbo, engine, etc as mentioned originally. I’m sure they checked the flywheel too although they didn’t say..? I’m not sure.

I’m not massively mechanically minded outside of the basics, but if you wouldn’t mind elaborating on the exhaust issue you believe may be causing this? If it’s easier, you can PM me. I’d like to know more or if there’s a solution/ DIY fix to it?

Thanks again!

• i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

So far as mentioned the garage has checked most of the car mechanically, turbo, engine, exhaust etc. they’ve replaced the pressure plate (which was desperately needed!!) but now I’m thinking as I’m reading replies that maybe it is the flywheel.

Before I explain resonating , I have to say, guys spend some time in Search. Read the many related posts. Bogdan is unwittingly repeating the repeated.

You will both see that flywheels have been changed to no avail.  not surprising!!!!

A trombone resonates. If you blow at a certain rate, the resonate vibration is music. The pitch changes as the player changes the shape of the instrument.
If you have a speaker inside a thin wooden cabinet (old style TV set) and play music, the cabinet may vibrate at a certain frequency. That resonating vibration can be  loud enough to block out the music. Make a small change to the cabinet shape and the noise is cured.

I have a theory that the exhaust pipe acts in a similar manner. It physically changes with age and movement during maintenance.
Thats your vibration .
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Bogdan1986

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Denmark
Indeed mine was just an opinion. I am not a mechanic.

The threads I read relating to this issue did not seem to have a definite conclusion. Perhaps I didn't read the right ones.

The exhaust system resonation hypothesis is something that I didn't take into consideration.

The turbo is also part of the exhaust system and the vibration appears at the same rpm that the turbocharger in these cars kicks in.

I just think that if it was the exhaust resonating, the vibration would be present when you hit the 1800 rpm mark while in neutral, too. The fact that it only happens when gears are engaged leads me to think it is more likely a clutch/flywheel issue.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I just think that if it was the exhaust resonating, the vibration would be present when you hit the 1800 rpm mark while in neutral, too. The fact that it only happens when gears are engaged leads me to think it is more likely a clutch/flywheel issue.

How do the flywheel and clutch change from N to a gear? They are locked together.

As I indicated all this has been discussed at length before.
Please search here for any of those discussions and criticise them. If you have new evidence it will be most welcome.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 21:22:39 by nzenigma »

Offline hoolydooly

• 1st Gear

• Wollongong, Australia
Have you managed to find any more info on this issue? I've had the clutch replaced, flywheel machined and one of the engine mounts replaced. None of which fixed the issue, but just made the issue happen between 1800 and 2400rpm. All under warranty which is wonderful, but id rather have this sorted properly.
  • MY12 i30 Active 1.6 6M

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Have you managed to find any more info on this issue?

Where do I start?  :undecided:
How much of our stored info have you studied so far?

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

Still no luck!!

I got an extended warranty and have the car now. My own mechanic is doing his own bit of research and should be back to me by tomorrow.

I’m thinking of taking a recording of the sound while driving just to be sure everybody on this/ other threads are experiencing the same thing.

It’s a pain and as said it’s been discussed before but this sound is unreal, apparently everything was checked by the dealership so I’m hoping my mechanic can find the issue. It’s definitely coming from the front of the car, somewhere between the passenger side and center of the car, then spreads throughout.
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline hoolydooly

• 1st Gear

• Wollongong, Australia
I've read a fair bit of info about it, with regards to engine mounts, clutch, flywheel, exhaust as mentioned above and turbo.

I'd be keen to see what happens when the turbo is replaced.
  • MY12 i30 Active 1.6 6M

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Still no luck!!

I got an extended warranty and have the car now. My own mechanic is doing his own bit of research and should be back to me by tomorrow.

To assist him, write a list of the things tried and collated in our threads. All were repeats of clutch and flywheel etc, all had different outcomes, none identified the culprit.

The car needs to go on the hoist and run in gear through the vibration. An Irishman needs to been under it with a stethoscope of some kind.  :mrgreen:

So far eyes have glazed over at the notion of a part resonating ( I suspect the exhaust).

Try to get your head around my explanation, Ive worked in this area and found cures.

It would be interesting to see what happens if a piece of steel ( for example) is clamped to the pipe. Is there a change.?

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

I definitely am not doubting the advice you have shared with me. As I will happily admit, outside of normal maintenance I haven’t got a clue. I just wanted to give an update.

But in the meantime I have uploaded 3 short clips of the noise onto YouTube. But if it’s the exhaust can you explain this to me (I don’t mean to sound smart!!) but..

It doesn’t happen in 1st - 3rd. There’s a very slight rattle as if something is spinning or loose over by the passenger footwell. This rattle increases sometimes when turning and accelerating.

The vibration only kicks in in 4th, 5th and 6th. It does go away as soon as I’m out of that particular rev range or if I let my foot up off the accelerator.

Is this due to more vibration in the engine when in those gears etc? And the noise will only happen under load. Very very slightly if I’m just cruising. I’m sure you can tell how mechanically minded I am now.. 😂

Anyway, I’ve uploaded the vids. If this noise is what you’ve heard before please tell me! It seems to be coming from the front left/ center of the car, then spreading a vibration throughout.

Thank you. (The shortest video I moved it to the passenger side of the center console and it’s quite noticeable. Last link).

:link: Hyundai i30, 2011, harsh vibration - YouTube
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The early rattle could be something else thats not tied down, but certainly worth investigating.

The buzzing  / vibration in the 2nd video - I would stake the reputation of my Irish grandmother that it is some thing , part or area that is resonating.

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

Well hopefully it’s nothing too serious/ expensive! I’m still unsure as to why it’d only be under load in the upper gears as I would have assumed if that was the case it’d be throughout them all.

But; I’ll take your word and get the mechanic to take a look and post an update once I hear more! :)
  • i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'day jones95,
I have a 2018 Santa Fe 2.2 diesel 6spd. In eco or normal at 60kmh in 5th, appro 1400 rpm it gives off that diesel rattle, drone, rumble when slightly accelerating or a cruising.  Same at 80kmh in 6th. Using sport it  moves the shift point up by 15kmh and noise doesn't excist.
You can also feel this through the car. Basically,  too low a speed for a  gear tends to make this happen.  I've had quite a few TDI work vehicles and they all have made a noise/vib when gear /rev ratio hits a certain spot. The diesel combustion process is more severe with almost double compression ratio than petrol, thus making that loveable torque and fuel economy.
Hang in there,  sometimes things take a little while to track down.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :brilliant: Thanks Mick spot on.

Well hopefully it’s nothing too serious/ expensive! I’m still unsure as to why it’d only be under load in the upper gears as I would have assumed if that was the case it’d be throughout them all.

Just reinforcing what Mick has said. The motor esp. when the turbo is giving you a boost is acting differently at other speeds and work loads.

Re cost thats why I advised you to bone up on what  we have posted in the past about remedies that have failed.

Offline Markyc95

• 1st Gear

• Leinster, Ireland
Hi I had the same problem for months. This was cause by a previous owner installing a 3rd party clutch. Swapping it for a genuine Hyundai clutch solved the problem
  • I30 1.6 2011

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi I had the same problem for months. This was cause by a previous owner installing a 3rd party clutch. Swapping it for a genuine Hyundai clutch solved the problem

As your research will have informed you, this has been tried many times in the past, with mixed results.

Question : was it the caused by this component, or did vibration disappear because the position of the power train has moved? 

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Was anything else changed?,  could you check or post itemised invoice if you still have it please.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

But; I’ll take your word and get the mechanic to take a look and post an update once I hear more! :)

Noooo! do some reading.  :crazy1:

:link: VIBRATION: i30 Diesel FD _ Links to past comments.  :link:

Offline Jones95

• 2nd Gear

I did some reading and saw your latest post earlier in the week also! Whilst I appreciate you compiling all of the information and whilst I don’t doubt what you have said and it may be the case for some people but  it has been confirmed it is not being caused by exhaust resonating for my situation.

Which is actually a shame as now I have to dig deeper. I’m still under the impression it’s clutch/ gearbox related as the vibration changed rev range once a new pressure plate was installed.

• i30, 2011, 1.6 CRDi

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
No worries,  get as much detail as you can, what was replaced and if possible the brand and keep us posted. Goodluck.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
confirmed it is not being caused by exhaust resonating for my situation.
Which is actually a shame as now I have to dig deeper. I’m still under the impression it’s clutch/ gearbox related as the vibration changed rev range once a new pressure plate was installed.
No worries,  get as much detail as you can, what was replaced and if possible the brand and keep us posted. Goodluck.
:wss:
The exhaust is just a possible resonator, can be some other part or area.
Follow the link to past examples.
I would love to see this scientifically examined.
 Suddenly we have not only the original pressure plate, but various replacement brands all causing a vibration.
The pressure and driven plates are fixed in place to the flywheel and do not move while driving.
The weight of the flywheel is 'about' 10 times the weight of the clutch. So, how much influence can the clutch have in that area?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal