i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 55999

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks for all that, i was about to ask if anyone had any other good suggestions.

seems these dont need a canbus and are cheap and are philips? Seems too good to be true at 36W too? From altona in Vic. I shall give them a shot.

They seem to need the socket adaptors which i have but i dont know how to attach the adaptors without doing a diy job, i was hoping it was a simple plug and play.

:link: Pair Philips H7 12000LM LED Headlight KIT White Beam Replace Xenon Halogen Globe 501560109092 | eBay
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for all that, i was about to ask if anyone had any other good suggestions.

seems these dont need a canbus and are cheap and are philips? Seems too good to be true at 36W too? From altona in Vic. I shall give them a shot.

They seem to need the socket adaptors which i have but i dont know how to attach the adaptors without doing a diy job, i was hoping it was a simple plug and play.

:link: Pair Philips H7 12000LM LED Headlight KIT White Beam Replace Xenon Halogen Globe 501560109092 | eBay
They do require the Canbus adaptors I linked earlier, I also mentioned that these type would be extremely bright which you might get away with using on the high beams if they were H7 :undecided: but would think they are way too bright for the low's.

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Ok so the search continues, i guess buying the philips for 200 bux would be my best option? Pricey but the safest option. Is there room for the canbus in the headlight?
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What about the Narva ones I linked to the Roland eBay store, seem like a good design and price is right :goodjob2:

The canbus adapters are quite small and should fit inside the light housing...they would on my GD anyway.

You could go to your local Supercheap store and check them out first.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:52:26 by CraigB »

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I think I will try the Navara ones you linked, they seem to come with the canbus, do the just slot into the socket or do i need to adapt something... i guess i shall find out!
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
do the just slot into the socket or do i need to adapt something... i guess i shall find out!
Depends on how the bulbs are secured on your vehicle, if secured with the spring clip that’s fine, if secured by the power plug you’ll require adaptors :link: 2pcs H7 LED Headlight Bulb Holder Adapter For KIA K3/4/5 Hyundai Sonata 9 | eBay

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Cheers i got some of them for the last set of LEDs but i think id have to glue them on. I shall see once the items arrive and post some pics for others.

Thanks again :)
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline the_odd_roo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Hi all, I was following this topic even before I got my own i30. Just got an SR and couldn't really stand the halogen bulbs so swapped them for $30 LEDs from eBay. Much better colour consistency and brightness is okay. Only issue is that I get an error message on the dash now telling me to check my low beams. Even though they were meant to be error-free the result is quite acceptable for $30!

Link below
I30 LED bulb :link: I30 LED bulb - Album on Imgur
  • i30SR

Offline nogun

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi mate

Which LEDs did you buy for it? The colours seem to match well!
  • i30 PD active 2.0L

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi all, I was following this topic even before I got my own i30. Just got an SR and couldn't really stand the halogen bulbs so swapped them for $30 LEDs from eBay. Much better colour consistency and brightness is okay. Only issue is that I get an error message on the dash now telling me to check my low beams. Even though they were meant to be error-free the result is quite acceptable for $30!

Link below
I30 LED bulb :link: I30 LED bulb - Album on Imgur
You'll need Canbus decoders to eliminate the error on dash :link: 2x H7 Car LED Load Resistor CAN Bus CANBus Decoder Error Free Canceller Adapter 730052890211 | eBay

Without the decoders the LED bulbs you have installed wont last long as the extra current will burn them out in time.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Quote from: the_odd_roo on August 07, 2019, 02:15:48

Link below
I30 LED bulb   I30 LED bulb - Album on Imgur
You'll need Canbus decoders to eliminate the error on dash   2x H7 Car LED Load Resistor CAN Bus CANBus Decoder Error Free Canceller Adapter 730052890211 | eBay

Without the decoders the LED bulbs you have installed wont last long as the extra current will burn them out in time.

I have ordered a set of LEDs from these guys Cherry Tuning & Performance $145 all up, i will let you know when they arrive and fitted :link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have ordered a set of LEDs from these guys Cherry Tuning & Performance $145 all up, i will let you know when they arrive and fitted :link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade
They're obviously for the high beams at 6000Lm per bulb, why not the obviously better quality Narva kit at a cheaper price :confused: :link: Narva H7 12/24 Volt LED Conversion Kit (18008) 9350156004683 | eBay they have the correct focusing tip to replicate the proper cut off line without light spray.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
hoping there is 4 LEDs high and low beam as in picture on web site. Will let you know when they arrive, and come round  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
hoping there is 4 LEDs high and low beam as in picture on web site. Will let you know when they arrive, and come round  :whistler:
I didn't swap to LEDs but when I upgraded my globes I must say the PD is one of the easiest cars I've ever owned to swap headlight globes in..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
But the picture only shows one LED on each side of the bulb :confused:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Its been a long 14 hour day, i saw 4 bulb assemblies but then Im also seeing other strange things from lack of sleep.    :crazy2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Crustycottage Aside from the lights that Cherry site has a good range of PD specific upgrades available, nice find :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 21:31:13 by CraigB »

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Have anyone tried this out? http://www.blingworkauto.com.au/jw-speaker-h7-6000k-projector-lens-model-4000-evol
JW Speaker is quite popular in the USA from my research then.
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have anyone tried this out? http://www.blingworkauto.com.au/jw-speaker-h7-6000k-projector-lens-model-4000-evol
Autobarn sell the JW brand in Australia, last time I checked them out they were a triangular shape bulb with only 180 degree light throw.

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Autobarn sell the JW brand in Australia, last time I checked them out they were a triangular shape bulb with only 180 degree light throw.

They provide 2 versions (1 for reflector headlights, 1 for projector headlights). The one with triangular shape bulbs is specified for projector headlights. Will the 180 degrees light throw-out be better to avoid dazzling other drivers? Searching around but I can't find any review abt it
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:16:10 by quankino »
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

They provide 2 versions (1 for reflector headlights, 1 for projector headlights). The one with triangular shape bulbs is specified for projector headlights. Will the 180 degrees light throw-out be better to avoid dazzling other drivers? Searching around but I can't find any review abt it
Well the bulb that is used within the projector is a 360 degrees light throw Halogen so typically you would be looking for an LED that best replicates the halogen design like these Narva units :link: Narva LED Headlight Kit - H7 | Supercheap Auto

:link: Narva | H7 12/24V LED CONVERSION KIT
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:06:11 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's not to say the JW bulbs wont work as I've never physically tested their new design but as with all the previous design types out there the only ones that have proven to function best were the LED's that best replicated the halogen as that was what the OEM housings were made to accommodate.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With all your helpul posts in these headlight threads I'm trying to decide whether to give you a new Designation @CraigB   . Can't decide between Light entertainer or Globetrotter... :snigger:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Perhaps he should be the forum's Illuminati. :lol:

Nah, I'm just lampooning the bright spark. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

guest12451
Not wanting to 'threadjack' nor start another thread for a pretty dull question but RE: the HB3 high beam bulbs that are in the PD's. Firstly, they're pretty poor - so thinking replacing the halogen bulbs in them with one of the cheapo-ish LED ones. We live rural, my wife does a lot of night drives home in winter and well I think the high beams aren't up to the task .

Now I know these are technically illegal - but IMHO you run the main risk with those in your low beams - you'll be dipping your high beams anyway, so far less likely you'll draw attention to yourself.  Plus I'd be looking for something looking more normal e.g 4300K-5000K colour range. 

I have to say I find it really stupid that I could potentially get in trouble for putting LED bulbs in my high beams and yet I can mount a massive LED light bar or spotlights on my car and apparently use those completely legall!   Haha what is the difference really between them?

I don't know if anyone has found any cheapies they were reasonably happy with?

Also wondering if the PD needs CANBUS capable LEDs for it's high beams?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
With all your helpul posts in these headlight threads I'm trying to decide whether to give you a new Designation @CraigB   . Can't decide between Light entertainer or Globetrotter... :snigger:

Shining Light ?  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline the_odd_roo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Hi mate

Which LEDs did you buy for it? The colours seem to match well!

Bought on eBay. Item number 223525972595. Correction, about $20.
I don't do any night driving, just the occasional tunnel and carpark. I realise now that these are a bit dimmer than the original halogens. I don't think it'd be suitable for a lot of night driving.
  • i30SR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
On the FD front (literally), my combo DRL blinkers glow a nice modern bluish every time the ignition is on. When I switch to parkers, they look sickly yellow in comparison, so I've finally ordered a bag of W5W LEDs, just be be consistent with the fresh look.

ns

Sorry, not meaning to hijack.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:idea: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal