i30 Owners Club

Replace HU with Bluetooth standard HU

eze2410 · 12 · 3039

Offline eze2410

• 2nd Gear

• UK
My can annoyingly does not have Bluetooth and steering wheel control. I just wanted to know if I can get a standard HU for the same car with Bluetooth will it simply plug in and work and will it work without steering wheel controls. By that I mean can all of the HU functions be controlled from the HU itself.

Thanks for help in advance.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi Blue classic 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know from the two units GD-01/GD-03 I've used they are not dependent on the steering wheel controls as same buttons are on the unit itself, If you can find another factory GD non navigation unit with Bluetooth it should be plug n play.

Offline eze2410

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Cheers for the reply yea Ive found 1 with Bluetooth jus thought there could be an issue as I've noticed the steering multifunction steering wheel has the answer and end call green and red buttons on 1 side of it. If I was to change the HU does it have a microphone on the units for phone calls or is that fitted sum where else?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Microphone should be on the unit, call and end call buttons should also be on the buttons of earlier GD units, later units had touch screen.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I believe the microphone is placed on the roof above the driver, it’s circular with holes
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I believe the microphone is placed on the roof above the driver, it’s circular with holes
Did Hyundai do something different with models over there :undecided: our mic’s are definitely on the head unit lower fascia.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It’s seems to be the case as there is no mic on the factory fitted units here.
Now I have retrofitted the gd-03 I’m not sure which mic is in use. I would guess the mic built into the head unit would be working and the fitted mic will be of no use
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 22:13:13 by StokeyBry »

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
It’s seems to be the case as there is no mic on the factory fitted units here.
Now I have retrofitted the gd-03 I’m not sure which mic is in use. I would the guess mic built into the head unit would be working and the fitted mic will be of no use
The mic used by gd-03 is indeed the one built in to the unit!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline eze2410

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Mine hasn't got it can u post pic dies anyone know if it can be wired in

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If your head unit is like the one pictured below the mic B/T connections are pin 10 and 22 on connector B.

You could check your wiring loom that connects to the stereo to see if the wires are present. If not you could connect your own if you can find one, I am not sure if a third party mic will work maybe someone else may know

Offline eze2410

• 2nd Gear

• UK
I've checked and I do have wires terminated at 10 and 22 which join into a loom and go behind glove box and up pillar trim. My idea was to locate the wire  and connect a mic I have from a parrot kit to it.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Definitely worth the look, and if you now have the Bluetooth enabled head unit you are half way there

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal