i30 Owners Club

Anybody ever had issues with washing diamond cut alloys?

kateaew · 11 · 3862

Offline kateaew

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newmarket, UK
So I took my car to get washed yesterday, and noticed on one side the 2 alloys look weird. Its almost like the top coat has come off and instead of being silver they are silver + white patches. On the undamaged side they still have the little ribbed lines in them and on the damaged side they no longer have these. Weird its only on one side too!

I've got alloy wheel insurance from my dealership, but unsure if they would even consider repairing something like this.

Just wondered if anybody else had the same issue with diamond cut alloys, or something similar. I know nothing about them and have decided I'm just never going to get my car washed again :lol:
  • 2015 Turbo GDI 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That sounds crazy Kate. Please post some pictures of a bad one and a good one!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Maybe someone has used some rather harsh or corrosive wheel cleaner on these in the past and damaged the clear coat. Maybe it was touched up, was the car pressure cleaned?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline kateaew

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newmarket, UK

Offline kateaew

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newmarket, UK
The last two is what it should look like, if its not obvious  :lol:

And yes it was lightly pressure washed then went into the car wash (which ive never had any problems with on previous cars) and then hand finished wax and polish, cleaned inside and wheels cleaned i guess.

Looks like it's just dirty, but it wont come off haha.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Maybe they've tried polish/wax on the wheels which has filled the face cut lines, the smears look petroleum based  :undecided:

If some methylated spirits doesn't fix it you'll need to make a complaint with your carwash centre :disapp:

Offline kateaew

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newmarket, UK
I've started a claim on my alloy insurance. Will see what they come back with whether I can fix at home or if they can fix it. If they wont take my claim I will try and rub them down with something. Will wait until I head back from them though dont want to make it worse in the meantime haha!

Thanks for your help I'll post an update when they get back to me!!

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Maybe they've tried polish/wax on the wheels which has filled the face cut lines, the smears look petroleum based  :undecided:

If some methylated spirits doesn't fix it you'll need to make a complaint with your carwash centre :disapp:
Does  have a residue look about it, I was thinking a very mild buffing compound or swirl remover  and go lightly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Does  have a residue look about it, I was thinking a very mild buffing compound or swirl remover  and go lightly.
:whsaid: go lightly!

I love your attitude.. not many would be saying haha...  :faint:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is that an optical illusion that on the good one I can see lines or a textured machined surface but on the marked ones they appear smooth on the faces?

Craig's idea of a wipe over with metho or rubbing alcohol is a good start and quick indication  if it's going to come off easy.

Offline kateaew

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newmarket, UK
Is that an optical illusion that on the good one I can see lines or a textured machined surface but on the marked ones they appear smooth on the faces?

Craig's idea of a wipe over with metho or rubbing alcohol is a good start and quick indication  if it's going to come off easy.

Yeah the good ones have the lines and the bad ones no longer have them. Its like they've been wiped off by something!!

:whsaid: go lightly!

I love your attitude.. not many would be saying haha...  :faint:

Well, these things happen and there's not much point in being dead upset by it! Just glad I got that free alloy insurance thrown in when i purchased the car  :lol: :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal