i30 Owners Club

Engine Flush

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
The other day whilst I was down in Sydney I had a friend of a friends mechanic look at my car. He took off the oil cap and recommended I do an engine flush as the inside was dirty. I've recently bought the car and it had a full service history (though 2 late services) so I was surprised to hear this.

I know he's not trying to earn money from me as he didn't charge me for the inspection and he knows I live in the gold coast and didn't have time to get the car serviced in Sydney.

My question is, is there an alternative to a flush? As I have heard that they can damage your engine. I have read about changing the oil very regularly to slowly clean it the engine, is that advisable?
  • Hyundai i30 2010 Petrol 2.0 SX

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I canot locate the Hyundai document at the moment, but let me assure you of this fact.

Hyundai recommend that their engine is NOT exposed to flushing oil.

It would almost certainly void any warranty if carried out and if it was clear that this caused the engine parts to fail i.e. bushes and seals.

Someone many remember where the document is, I cannot recall

Good luck

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The other day whilst I was down in Sydney I had a friend of a friends mechanic look at my car. He took off the oil cap and recommended I do an engine flush as the inside was dirty.
Tell your friend to get a new mechanic, that's the worst diagnosis/recommendation I've ever heard :crazy2: are you sure he's even a licensed mechanic :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I too, do not recommend engine flushing. Depending on the type of driving the car has done, it's best to simply use the best oil and change at recommended intervals.

Engine flushing can cause "clots" for want of a better word, to break away unexpectedly and cause a complete blockage to oil channels with devastating results.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unfortunately there are a lot of otherwise good mechanics out there who have been sucked in by the supposed benefits of engine flushing.
In my opinion it fits into the same category as putting nitrogen I  your tyres.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
OK so I think it's been established that an engine flush is out. But does anyone have any ideas what to do to clean out the engine?
  • Hyundai i30 2010 Petrol 2.0 SX

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Depends on what you call dirty. If it is full of dirty black oil, change it and the filter for the recommended oil and keep a watch on it. Generally dirty engines are a result of poor driving and incorrect use of the vehicle. For example, a vehicle that is continually operated cold and for only short distances, will inevitably build up sludge, especially if the oil changes have been missed. This is because water is a byproduct of combustion and the engine never gets hot enough to evaporate the condensate that builds up. This condensate reacts with oil to thicken it and also can provide a false reading on the dip stick indicating full or over full condition.

If it were mine, I would change both oil & filter myself, add the correct amount of the best oil you can buy and then you know it is fresh and new. Then I would arrange for a nice drive @ at least 100 kmh for a couple of hours to power the oil through the motor.

Do not do country driving on the dirty oil as the heat form the engine will evaporate the water and you may be left with a very low oil level in the sump.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK so I think it's been established that an engine flush is out. But does anyone have any ideas what to do to clean out the engine?

Morning klyvenator, I am definitely not a mechanic/tech but I have owned and maintained vehicles for over fifty years with a reasonable level of success.  Based on this I would say, do a full oil and filter change, run the car for a few k' then do it again.

If the oil galleries where blocked and oil not getting to all parts I believe that you would quickly be aware due to overheating, or even seizing up of the engine.

We have had several Hyundai owners inquire about using flushing oil over the years, in fact my local Hy dealership tried to flog it too me once and back then I had the document to hand which stated in absolute terms NOT TO use flushing oil which I was happy to wave in their faces and embarrass them   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyhow klyvenator that's the advice....  and now it's snowing here so I have to get my sledge out and go tobogganing down the hills.

Good luck  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal