i30 Owners Club

Expected Fuel Consumption for 1.6 U FD Auto

eXDee · 8 · 2578

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
2009 1.6L U (not U2) Automatic transmission. i30cw. 117k on the clock.

Automobile Catalog says this, not sure if these are official figures:
extra-urban / city / highway / average combined:
4.6-6 / 7-9.1 / 5.9-7.7 / 6.3

I get 6.0 roughly on the open road - 100kph with some hills and many turns, being NZ). I briefly saw it at 5.9 but not for very long. Never seen it drop below that.

In the city im getting between 7.5 and low 8s depending on traffic, a lot of fuel burnt from the cold start on the commute it seems.

Just want to get an idea of whether this is is about right or if it should be lower. I tend to drive with a lighter foot than most i feel, and try and coast whenever i can see queues/stop lights in the distance.
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds about right. That fairly inefficient 4 speed auto is the killer... The Manual is so much more economical. The new 7 speed DCT (Dual clutch "auto" Transmission) is equal to or slightly more economical than the current Manual Diesel.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
I had a feeling that was the case. It was really hard to find a manual diesel up for sale over here. Only ones i could find all had higher kms. Manual cares in general are becoming a rarity across many models it seems.

Still decent, was just hoping the open road figure would nudge down a little more as that's always satisfying to see.

Also Re: 7 speed, before i bought the i30 i was actually considering Golf TDIs, and the 7 speed DCT VW does caught my eye as sounding rather nice. Until i read about the problems some people had had and how insanely expensive they are to fix.... D:
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Those fuel figures are correct for your country. In Oz, we have longer and flatter stretches where the Diesel really excels. The comment about the 4sp being inefficient is unfounded IMO it's as good as any other brand. If you buy auto, expect to use a bit more juice.

I am very happy with ours and have a lot of driving to do tomorrow  :happydance:

No need to go higher than about 2500 to 3000 rpm when driving.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Phil №❶

Sorry Phil, I apologise. It is not inefficient, just adds an average of about 25% to your fuel bills.  :winker:

@eXDee

Yes, bit of a worry about DCT repair costs, although so far Hyundai's design seems more reliable than VW and Ford.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi , i have 2010 1.6 CRDI FD auto wagon and i regularly get about 5.8 - 6 out on the hwy and 7 - 7.5 around town , it actually doesn't seem to alter much from 7 - 7.5 around town regardless whether i am taking it easy or being a bit of a lead foot , the consistency around town has impressed me , this has been over about 1.5 years , i am also running a racechip but that made no difference to fuel economy but definitely to the power. I love surprising people in much more expensive cars off the lights as it launches pretty hard and actually once i hit 120kmh it pulls even harder , i just wish i had bought a manual as fuel economy is even better and i could control the power better as the 4 speed auto want's to rev it out like a petrol motor.  :)
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Reckon the 4 speed isn't as efficient.

I was getting around 6-6.2 l/100 in the FD CW (1880kg) Best 5.6l/100 with 2 adults 2 kids and luggage (open road)

I get 5.4-5.8 in the 6 speed i40 (1547 kg). Best 4.9l/100 with 5 adults and luggage (Open road)

The (suprisingly) lower weight of the i40 would play a part, but the 4 speed box would sit on about 2600rpm on the freeway, the 6 speed sits just over 2100.

The i40 likes 1500rpm where as the i30 was a bit spluttery around that mark (to be fair the wife's later model seems to tollarate 1500rpm better).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal