i30 Owners Club

Changing the grille on a 2013 GD Tourer

Heady · 15 · 6830

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I'm wanting to add LED Driving Lights to the i30 for night-time winter driving along county roads.

I'd looked at nudge bars and number plate brackets - but wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.
What I was looking to do was fashion some LED Driving lights into the front grille.

There are two options:

(1) Get a custom aftermarket grille with mounts for LED Driving lights.

I was looking at something like: :link: Ford Focus RS MK3 Upper Grille | Zunsport
OK its a picture of a Ford but you get the idea - Zunsport will also add mounting brackets for Lazer Lamps LED Driving lights.
Like:
As it would be a custom one-off (they currently don't see a market for i30 after-market grilles which is a pity) its a time consuming & expensive proposition.  It would require either leaving my i30 with them for a couple of weeks or multiple trips up to them as well as subsidizing part of the construction of the jig.

(2) Or to cut & modify the Hyundai plastic grille and add brackets for LED Driving lights.

I have the 2013 GD with the curved chrome bars so the factory plastic grille would be very difficult to modify without a lot of effort and having straight LED bars intermixed with the curved chrome grille bars I think will look out of place.

The other option I have is to change the grille to a 2015 variant where the chrome bars are straight and horizontal.  Therefore, making it easier to cut & modify and straight LED bars shouldn't look too out of place.

However, from what I understand the 2015 Hyundai plastic grille is not a straight drop-in replacement for the 2013 Hyundai plastic grille as to my understanding there is a surround that is needed to match-up the 2015 grille with the front bumper plastic as well as a replacement energy absorbing foam needed.

I've read on this forum somewhere where someone in Australia did a Australian<->Korean grille swap which might be close to what I'm thinking of trying.  However, I cannot find the thread now - my Google foo escapes me.

My semi-local Hyundai dealer isn't so helpful regarding which parts I need to order to be able to do what I want to do.  They want the part numbers but I don't know how to get the part numbers when I don't have access to any workshop or panel beater workbooks.

Can anyone help with working out what is needed to swap a 2013 grille with a 2015 grille (this surround & energy foam replacement) and help with getting the required part numbers.

I understand that the Australian i30's are made in Korea and the UK i30's are made in Czech and the part numbers are different even for the same thing.  Apparently the Australian part numbers are 10 digits and the UK part numbers are 8 digits.  However, even if I can get the Australian part numbers I will have a least something to hit the local dealer over the head with.

Thanks for any help.
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've read on this forum somewhere where someone in Australia did a Australian<->Korean grille swap which might be close to what I'm thinking of trying.  However, I cannot find the thread now - my Google foo escapes me.

Here you go:  :D :link: New 2015 Grill

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Thanks - much appreciated.  So 50% of the mystery has been solved thanks to @CraigB .

From the post: :link: New 2015 Grill

The part number for the energy absorbing foam that I need is:

In fact that topic also has a good photo of the grille that I wish to swap to.

All I need now is the part number for the plastic surround that allows the grille to fit the front bumper skirt (which is very evident in the image above).   Anyone know what the part number is for this plastic surround?  (There might be a few as I think I've seen some pre-painted others being a brushed aluminum or chrome depending on level of trim)

Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I knew putting that part number up would come in handy one day :)

There was no part number for the surround that I recall, if you order the grill then the surround automatically comes with it as mentioned here :link: 2012-2016 i30-Elantra GT Factory Grill - Shark Racing

It will be much cheaper to get from Korea if you want one, Hyundai wanted $1400 if ordered through them in Australia :faint:

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
FYI all Tourers are made in the Nošovice factory in the Czech Republic.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
FYI all Tourers are made in the Nošovice factory in the Czech Republic.
Yes as Heady mentioned in his first post, and all 3drs like mine were also Czech made :)

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
There was no part number for the surround that I recall, if you order the grill then the surround automatically comes with it ...
I have purchased two grills from from Poland via eBay - when I asked he said:
Brand new grilles for the latest Hyundai i30 2015-. May be used as an upgrade for the pre facelifted model however outer frame will be needed (available as a separate part also from dealer).

I realize its dodgy to rely on what someone on eBay said - but the semi-non-helpful dealer didn't say anything different...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As someone who has already purchased ( direct from Korea ) and fitted one of the new grills I can only tell you that the box comes with the grill and surround preassembled already, it's combined as a kit with a single part number on the box, if your getting asked whether you want the surround then I'd say the seller is separating the surround from the grill trying to make extra money :disapp:

Shark Racing deals with Hyundai/Mobis OEM parts so I'd recommend sending them an email if you need the grill or just surround.

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
I'm wanting to add LED Driving Lights to the i30 for night-time winter driving along county roads.

I'd looked at nudge bars and number plate brackets - but wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.
What I was looking to do was fashion some LED Driving lights into the front grille.

There are two options:

Thanks for any help.

Why not put in a request to LAZER to develop an in Grille Kit - or Behind Grille Kit for the GD i30 ??
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, look, BMW-style eyelids! :D

"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Oh, look, BMW-style eyelids! :D

"ns"

The Fluffy Dice are pretty cool  :wink:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Why not put in a request to LAZER to develop an in Grille Kit - or Behind Grille Kit for the GD i30 ??

Thanks edagrade; I've learn't that LAZER only on-sells ZunSport grills.  This was my first line of inquiry and because of the time required to work with ZuneSport - I'd initially discounted that option.  However, because of having to prioritize funds elsewhere at the moment my project has been frozen for a little while.  Therefore, I might now be able to get up to visit ZuneSport and get their opinion.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire

There are two options:

Thanks for any help.

This is kinda what I did in the end...  although, it took a year to do the research, find the appropriate groups willing to assist, get the custom grill designed and manufactured, then get it installed (then fix the design/manufacturing oversights).

I'm happy with the results and will write-up a separate post about it.

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Looking forward to your write up :-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

There are two options:

Thanks for any help.

This is kinda what I did in the end...  although, it took a year to do the research, find the appropriate groups willing to assist, get the custom grill designed and manufactured, then get it installed (then fix the design/manufacturing oversights).

I'm happy with the results and will write-up a separate post about it.
Sounds impressive.  Can't wait to see it!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal