i30 Owners Club

Radio keeps turning on / off + random start issue.

Gubbi05 · 23 · 19503

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Good evening everyone.

3 weeks ago, my girlfriend and I bought a i30 2008.

The car is in a perfect condition. Engine spinning like New, and no rust.

Although a small problem started recently.

Whenever we take the car for a drive, the radio turns completely off and on again right away. This happens With Just few seconds in between.

The radio resets everytime it does it, based on the clock going back to 12.00

This issue makes it impossible to use the radio for anything, and also makes a small sound from the speakers when it turns back on.

I believe that it also cause the seatbelt light display to appear at random times.

One last thing.

I had 2-3 moments where the car has been off for 10 minutes, and cant power the starter enough to start the car. Just buzzering sounds. It does start perfect all the other times though.

A New battery did not fix the problem.

Hope that someone out there can guide me to a solution, and that i didnt make it sound too confusing.

First time writing here :-)
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 109hp 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Gubbi05,

You did a great job of explaining a complicated issue. Even I could understand!

First off I thought an earthing issue, but then (to me) the extra side issues make me think that something is shorting out!

I'm no expert but maybe a wire is pinched somewhere after a repair and when you go over a bump or something the exposed wire shorts on the body.

Unfortunately, I suspect a fault like this could be hard to isolate (especially without having the car in front of us)

We have a couple of brilliant and experienced Techs on the site including award winning Tim ( @cruiserfied ) and also @nzenigma who is very familiar with the working of our much loved little i30.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thank you for your kind words :-)

I am thinking bad earth wire aswell.

Your point of view makes sense too.

From what i know about the car history, it has been owned by the same man for 8 years, Who bought it from the same dealer as we did. All repairments has been done there.

Didnt hear about Any Electric fixes in the past, but worth asking them.

Back to the problem :D

The radio even "restarts" if u stand still. Such a weird pattern.

Do you know Any main earth wire, that is easy to check?

With All this being said.. The dealers warrenty is covering all issues for 6 months.

I have an appointment With the workshop 5th december.

But would love to skip the drive ;-)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Gubbi05

:wttc:

I'm with Dazz here, a bad connection. Let the dealer fix it under warranty. You most likely need to remove the radio to access the multi connectors.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Gubbi05

I'm with Dazz here, a bad connection. Let the dealer fix it under warranty. You most likely need to radio to access the multi connectors.

I think Henning missed out the word remove..

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Gubbi05

I'm with Dazz here, a bad connection. Let the dealer fix it under warranty.

2008 car, don't think it has any warranty left  :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

You most likely need to remove the radio to access the multi connectors.

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Maybe not factory warrenty  :P

In Denmark we get most things fixed if car is not working as it should.

6 months and then you are on your own.

But yeah.. I Will let the hyundai People look at it, and Hope that they fix it fast :-)

Nice to chat With all of you.

Seems like the right place to talk about issues and advices.

I Will update you, when it has been fixed.

Once again.. Thank you.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Gubbi05, welcome.

Dazzler is correct about this type of intermittent fault often being hard to track down. Setting aside my embarrassing faux pas yesterday, here are my thoughts.
Initially, you describe an intermittent radio that resets. So that could be a bad earth -12v or intermittent fused circuit +12v.
However, there are other problems, especially the hard start with buzzing sound.
Im guessing you are driving a manual car??? therefore, a brief loss of supply may not be noticed because the engine can crash-start itself.
I would be checking under the bonnet ( unlikely to be under dash) check the earth and +12volt connections close to the battery and from battery to chassis. I have had i30 battery terminal connectors that look ok, but on inspection they are fractured.
The buzzing sound may also be a relay. Again bad earth.

Leave the car idling and give the cables etc a shake. That may show it up.
 Tip... get familiar with the wiring and do the shake test in low light / dusk. You can see sparks that are not visible in daylight.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
That sounds like a good idea too..

We want to keep the car for as long as possible. So yeah, learning about the wires might not be a bad idea. I Will take a look tomorrow.

Great help everyone  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm with NZ. This all seems to point to your 12V dropping out in a systemic way and the radio, with its need for a keep-alive supply, is just a good indication of the problem. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
due to the age of the vehicle, the buzzing sound may be the starter turning but not engauging the ring gear of the engine. There is a separate solenoid that allows this to happen. It may have become unreliable.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just a thought, maybe make sure the fuse is ok . Did have a dodgy one a few years ago that caused a few problems.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thank you for all the good feedback.

Buzzering sound only happen twice. If i put jumper cables on the battery for Just 5 seconds, then it starts right away.

Dashboard light and cabine light, and ventilation light is all working.

Just the radio and i suspect the seatbelt lamp too, is messing up.

Today i have been driving 15 km without Any problems.

I could check the fuses too. Maybe bad connections?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'm with NZ. This all seems to point to your 12V dropping out in a systemic way and the radio, with its need for a keep-alive supply, is just a good indication of the problem. :victory:

Thanks Gonz. Yes, radio is just an indicator; as is the seatbelt light.
Phil's explanation of the starter solenoid action is correct. Poor connection from battery to the solenoid will cause the buzzing sound, AND the radio reset etc.
I will stake my unsound reputation on the fact that you DO NOT have multiple faults.  First thing to do, properly check the cables coming from the battery .
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Gubbi05

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
 :goodjob2: Will do..

I Will check it today. Sunny beautiful day.

I start with the ground wire :-)

Everything makes perfectly sense.

Offline Endre111

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Midtjylland
Hello! Could you please tell me what the solution was? I have the very same issue with the same type of car.

Thank you! :)

• Hyundai I30 2007

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi, and welcome. I can only suggest that you read the advice that we gave @Gubbi05  almost a year ago . It appears he is still an active member but he has joined the ranks of the 90% who 'forget' to update us. :Pout:
The above remains sound advice .
Good Luck

Offline gun monkey

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin, Ireland
Hi Guys
Just wondering if anybody has any updates on this? I have the very same problem except it has progressed to the radio now no longer turning on at all. Any updates would be gratefully received.
  • 2008 hyundai i30 1.6 diesel manual

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Guys
Just wondering if anybody has any updates on this? I have the very same problem except it has progressed to the radio now no longer turning on at all. Any updates would be gratefully received.

Lucky you  :goodjob2: Now you can easily trace the permanent fault.. Please. Let us know the result.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys

Lucky you  :goodjob2: Now you can easily trace the permanent fault.. Please. Let us know the result.

Welcome,  Gary wasn't being mean. It is just that a permanent fault is usually much easier to diagnose and fix than an intermittent one. Previous respondents to this thread haven't come back with updates yet unfortunately.   :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
yes no offence meant, I was/am in middle of a job. Check fuse, power at radio plus earth. presume you do have other symptoms above?

Offline gun monkey

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys,
Apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread but thought it was worth mentioning (in case anybody else is researching this) that my issue turned out to be as simple as a faulty head unit. Just got around to fitting a second hand unit from a breakers yard and it went straight in and hasn't shown any of the symptoms of the old faulty unit in the 36hrs since fitting. Thanks for all help/ comments above guys. :P
  • 2008 hyundai i30 1.6 diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey guys,
Apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread but thought it was worth mentioning (in case anybody else is researching this) that my issue turned out to be as simple as a faulty head unit. Just got around to fitting a second hand unit from a breakers yard and it went straight in and hasn't shown any of the symptoms of the old faulty unit in the 36hrs since fitting. Thanks for all help/ comments above guys. :P

Don't apologise! We like to know what happens in the end with these issues. Thanks for letting us know. GOod to hear.  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal