i30 Owners Club

PD blind spot monitoring issue

Hati · 11 · 4345

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Since we seem to have an SR and now my Elite do the same, figured this thread can go to "non fuel specific".

The blind spot monitoring disables with a "radar blocked" error.

On my car this always happened at high speed (110 highway), no other vehicles around and certainly nothing physically covering the two radars under the back bumpers. It happened now about 4 or 5 times, twice it switched back to fully functioning before the highway stint has finished, the rest of the time the trip ended and car was turned off. Always started with the monitoring enabled after that.

I mentioned that at the dealer when the 1500 k service was performed. They told me that they recalibrated the radars but did not speak of any error codes (I forgot to ask too).

I am going to fit the tow bar I had them include in the purchase shortly, I will have a look at the plugs/connections (if I can) then.

See if anyone else has this issue and perhaps a solution.

Other than that, my Elite is the best car I have ever owned.

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's interesting Hati. Mine seems to do it in similar circumstances (same message as you are aware) They seem to thing it may reset if you slow to under 30 kph. It did it twice on my recent West coast jaunt and I kept an eye on it as much as I could. Not sure if it ended up resetting before I finished each journey or before.  :undecided:

I might get your Dealer's name at some stage if that is ok, because when I mentioned it they said they had no other reports of it happening and no error codes. Could be handy for service departments to compare notes.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My dealer is Morley Hyundai. Hopefully more eyes see more in this instance. I have to give the "slow to 30 to reset" a try, see if it works. 
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My dealer is Morley Hyundai. Hopefully more eyes see more in this instance. I have to give the "slow to 30 to reset" a try, see if it works.

Cheers, their theory is that BSM only works above 30kph, so it should switch off under that speed. I tried to slow down to 30 on my trip but the roads were a bit winding and I was worried someone would run up my bum (then forgot about it)  :crazy1:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
their theory is that BSM only works above 30kph, so it should switch off under that speed.

Mine works at crawling speeds from memory. I have to test that out. Doesn't make sense to switch off under 30. Peak hour crawls slower, so once you do walking speed, the system no longer works? I thought the only caveat with the radars on the i30 was that the detectable thing needs to move compared to the "background", otherwise it IS the background and as such it does not get picked up. Like radar cruise and stationary vehicle in front...

Mental note to self: test blind spot detection under 30 Km/h, if true, test slow down under 30 when it's disabled with radar blocked error...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Quick update.

Fitted the towbar (easier physically but more complicated than the FD was) and had a look at the plugs of the radars under the back bumper. Nothing was loose or in any way questionable.

Have not had any long drives since so I could not test if the blind spot monitoring quits again.

I can confirm that it (blind spot monitoring) does turn on at 30 Km/h. Unable to check when it turns off though.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quick update.

Fitted the towbar (easier physically but more complicated than the FD was) and had a look at the plugs of the radars under the back bumper. Nothing was loose or in any way questionable.

Have not had any long drives since so I could not test if the blind spot monitoring quits again.

I can confirm that it (blind spot monitoring) does turn on at 30 Km/h. Unable to check when it turns off though.

Thanks Hati for the update.

It is very random. Drove over a 100 kms today in various highway scenarios and no hint of a problem. Very intermittent.  :undecided:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Might pay to try and record how long into the trip dos it cut out, if at all.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Might pay to try and record how long into the trip dos it cut out, if at all.

Mine will get a 4000 km+ workout fairly soon.  :happydance:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you guys get small orange illumination in your door mirrors when BSD triggers?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Do you guys get small orange illumination in your door mirrors when BSD triggers?

Yep. You can see the outline of the icon (dark grey), turning orange when triggered.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal