i30 Owners Club

Should I get a camera?

sundiz · 27 · 4787

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
For several years I have been using my phone as a camera. Now I have started to feel like getting a real camera might be a good "investment". Holiday trip coming in few months etc.

I was thinking of pocket cameras like sony rx100. It would be small and it would be easier to take with me. Of course the photos would be better than with a phone, but would they be so much better to justify the purchase? I was also thinking of nikon or canon entry level dslr camera. I could learn with those and get better objectives later, if I still had interest in photographing. While doing searches and youtubes I came across with superzoom cameras. Never heard about those before. Sony hx400v and nikon p900 caught my attention. Have you got any experience with high zoom cameras?

If I understood correctly, they are like pocket cameras (point and shoot), but with better zoom than many affordable dslr lenses. It would be big and heavy like dslr but with a ease of use and small sensor like a pocket camera.

I am a keen hunter and I would like to take photos of nature and game. Big zoom would help me get better photos of live game. When the superzoom would be to heavy to carry, I could still use my phone... Would mostly film nature, cars, family & friends. Any ideas?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I got sick of carting around my Sony NX5, though the camera itself was small the lenses are quite large and heavy to lug around in a back pack all day when travelling, I just use my iPhone 7+ now days but I don't think it would be capable for the needs you described depending on distance required  :undecided:

If you are looking for long distance shots of animals past the point of what could be done with a modern phone then you'll still want an SLR or similar, some of the new mirrorless types are coming into reasonable affordability now days, make sure to get one with a sight lense as when only having digital viewfinder it's quite hard to see the subject if any light shines on the screen.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I am a avid photographer  and have two professional Canon cameras for the wife and myself. We spend a lot of time travelling the world every year and at times find it a big inconvenience carrying the cameras and lens for that one off photo. As you might know to get that perfect shot you might need to take a couple of hundred photos, get up real early or be late at a site you want to take...light is everything before composition .......  also you need to carry your camera in your carry on luggage  to protect it and that takes away from other items you need to carry...... then you are walking around with this camera hanging off the shoulder while it bumps into everything........ this year the wife and I went to USA for four months and decided to take one camera with only two lens.......... I can tell you that most of our shots came from the phone camera as things come up quickly while on the fly . With  over 2 thousands photos taken, most were with the phone cameras and downloaded to the computer every night. We are actually looking now at the telephoto lens that clip onto your camera phone...work in progress....mind you there are some good point and shoot cameras out there that fit in your top pocket....

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a 2 year old Panasonic Lumix TZ60 which has an excellent Leica long zoom lens and fits into a pocket. The zoom (35mm equivalent) is 24 to 720 mm.

This replaced a bulky bridge camera, which like CraigB I got fed up with lugging around and the compact camera takes pictures that are just as good.

The WiFi link for remote control of the camera is useful and it has a good range of manual tweaks for the enthuiast photographer. I am lazy and use the camera on auto.

It may well have been updated or replaced by a later version by now. It would merit you taking a look at one.

I have a smartphone which I very occasionally use - but I find taking pictures with a phone difficult. Camera shake being the main problem plus lack of an optical zoom.

:link: Panasonic TZ60/ZS40 review: Noise and dynamic range | TechRadar

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sundiz,

I've been converted by the convenience and quality of the latest mobile phone cameras. My last 3 phones, Sony Z1, LG G4 and now Galaxy S8 all do great shots, only lacking an optical zoom.

I had a pretty good Nikon SLR for a while, but ended up selling it as just too cumbersome to cart around and never had it with me when the best photo opportunities arose. I initially had a couple of  SLR  style compacts with long zooms but again, too bulky to have with you all the time.

I now have a similar Sony equivalent to Alan's Panasonic and it is excellent when I need some zoom. I still find I  default to the phone camera mostly though.

Because you live in a mostly cold climate, I assume you wear coats a lot. A super zoom compact will slip nicely in the pocket of a coat. I mainly just wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt so easier over here to just carry your phone.

A Panasonic like Alan has or the Sony equivalent with around a 30x zoom would be my recommendation.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Last spring I lashed out several hundreds on a decent DSLR Nikon camera followed by another couple of hundred on a decent portrait lens.

Ask me how many serious photographs I have taken with said camera, yep, you got it nil, nada, none.

I use my iPhone 8 plenty because it is so bloody convenient.

I may make a special effort come the spring, we'll see  :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The correct answer is, it depends on what you plan to do with your images. If you are just going to post to social media and make a photo book, then you can easily get away with using a phone/tablet, but if you want to do more you will quickly find the limits of images captured this way. And you will also find there are shots you just won't get with a phone no matter what you do.

I travel with two bodies and a bag of lenses and will get shots that are not possible with a phone. Recently I spent about six hours on the viewing car of the Northern Explorer and had an epic time photographing New Zealand as it went by at speed. Others came with their phones, spent a few minutes working out that it wasn't going to work and went away never to return. Its a shame to pay for such an experience and have nothing to show for it.

This is an example of a shot that eluded those with mobile phones..

Nonetheless, some shots are quickly taken with a phone owing to convenience and good conditions. You can't always have all the gear with you, just in case a photo opportunity arises.

If you were to consider a pocket cam, the Sony RX100 is the business. If you can find a MKIII new, they are well worth considering as great value for a really capable compact camera.

:link: Sony Cybershot RX100 III Compact Digital Camera | JB Hi-Fi
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:35:53 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My first and only digital camera is the

ns
:link: Canon Digital IXUS v (S110 Digital Elph) Review: Digital Photography Review

It served us brilliantly throughout our posting to the UK and long after. Had it been any bigger, it wouldn't have been a permanent fixture on my utility belt and hence not nearly as valuable as it has been. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
I hear you about the portable/unobtrusive thing. My first digital cam was one of these:

:link: Samsung Digimax 800K Specs - CNET

It traveled the world and I took a lot of pictures with it. I still have it and it still works, but its not been used in some time now.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I reckon a few of us have got a soft spot for our first Digital Camera.

These were my first two. I think all the images under were taken with the DC3400 which didn't even have an optical zoom!

I reckon they're pretty good given the limitations of the camera.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I heard we are getting late christmas bonus, so I ordered a camera. Decided to go with point and shoot one. It was sony rx100 or hx400v. As I am going to get sony xz1 phone at some point I felt it would be too close to the rx100, size in mind. Eventhough the mk3 rx100 would have been nice. But I assume I will be doing a lot of long distance shots so I went with the hx400. It is old, not good sensor when compared to later rx100 models, but it was cheap.  Rx10 would have been also nice, but they were a bit pricy and I don't think I wont be filming videos anyway... It seemed the hx400 had enough features for me. I use canon eos 1100D and 1300D almost daily at work and 100% of the time we just shoot it with automatic settings. Of course we use it for reporting and we are not doing art. Dslr might have been overshoot to what I have in mind.

Just got mail from the dealer telling me there are some delays with the order. Hope I get it before weekend.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Like Dazz showed, you can get nice pics with later technology gear (at least I liked those pictures). In some things I am a bit gearhead, but I am trying to learn more enjoying the actual doing instead of focusing on the gear you do it with.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Sundiz,

I googled your choice. Very impressive compact camera (50x zoom)  :mrgreen:

I'm sure it will do the job nicely, I just hope you will not find it too bulky to cart around constantly.  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm confused! I thought Sundiz got this one?

:link: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V: Digital Photography Review

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Yeah I went with the massive superzoom HX400 like Dazz said. If I had gone with rx100 models, I would have been in the position to get the mk3 or even mk2. The mk4 rx100 costs almost 1000€ here at the moment. Not to mention rx100 mk5 which is 1100€...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:18:36 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah I went with the massive superzoom HX400 like Dazz said. If I had gone with rx100 models, I would have been in the position to get the mk3 or even mk2. The mk4 rx100 costs almost 1000€ here at the moment. Not to mention rx1000 mk5 which is 1100€...

:Shocked:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Yeah I went with the massive superzoom HX400 like Dazz said. If I had gone with rx100 models, I would have been in the position to get the mk3 or even mk2. The mk4 rx100 costs almost 1000€ here at the moment. Not to mention rx100 mk5 which is 1100€...

It is possible the RX100 may lack the zoom you desire anyway. Enjoy the new cam.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I ordered suitable camera bag from another store. I chose to use private courier, so they would deliver it to a place 300m from my apartment. Instead of they used normal post. Had to go over 1km to pick the package. And this is how they packted it. The paper on the bottom is A4 size receipt.

Slightly smaller box would have been nice...

Still haven't got the actual camera. Some shipping issues, wrong inventory issues etc...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hope the camera comes soon!  :sweating:

That packing is crazy! :crazy1:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
50x zoom  :scared:

You will likely need a tripod for shooting at maximum zoom. It would also make long-exposure night photos possible.

Also, learning to use manual controls and thinking how to compose the image in order to get it more interesting, is never a bad idea.  :cool:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I ordered suitable camera bag from another store. I chose to use private courier, so they would deliver it to a place 300m from my apartment. Instead of they used normal post. Had to go over 1km to pick the package. And this is how they packted it. The paper on the bottom is A4 size receipt.

Slightly smaller box would have been nice...

Still haven't got the actual camera. Some shipping issues, wrong inventory issues etc...

Had the same problem with a package from America that the envelope was the same size as the A4 sheet and it only had two snooker cue tips inside...the size of two fingernails....go figure......

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
thought I would mention, as you will be using zoom. a tri pod helps a lot.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thought I would mention, as you will be using zoom. a tri pod helps a lot.

They do, but can be a pain to cart. I've done a fair bit of zoom photography over the years and there is usually a fence or something you can use as a prop or I sometimes just brace myself against a wall.  :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Walls are handy, especially if you have had a few sherberts.  :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Went to office garage to wash the car as the temps dropped and there is no slush anymore. Took the camera with me as it was first sunny day in two months for me to enjoy. Took few test pics by the sea. Nothing fancy, just point and shoot with auto settings. Both pics are taken to same direction. The 50x zoom is quite a beast.

Freehanded zoom pic.

Definately need to take tripod with when playing with the zoom. Hard to stabilize in longer zooms.

Took earlier some tit pics (not that kind of) with 50x zoom & tripod

The macro is much better than in my phone.

Now I just need to learn to use the damn thing. Too many options for a siple man like me.

Also noticed that the central locking system does not want to open rear doors when temps are below -10'C. I guess I need to remove the door trim to get access to the lock systems. It needs some lubrication. As the car heated up the locks started to work again. Had the same issue last winter, but was too lazy to fix it...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Impressive.  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal