i30 Owners Club

Diesel GD2 '14 Engine Light and start/stop issues

t4orce · 39 · 12321

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Car is a 2014 i30 Auto Diesel 128HP GD2 Model bought a few months ago(Ex Ausgrid car with ~35k kms on the clock) ~45k kms now..

Problem: (Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to think what are the right steps to take)
2 days ago car gets stuck middle of the street while attempting to park in driveway(had to be pushed/parked by hand on the street),  engine was turning and at one point briefly started yet stopped when engaged in gear. Left it for about an hour and tried again, after a couple of tries managed to start, quickly engaged gear and drove into driveway. Engine management light came on and stayed on while car was operating.

I've read everything I could I think on this issue on these forums and ordered a OBD2 scanner which I'm waiting to arrive for further investigation but as far as I've read I wouldn't be surprised if something was up with the EGR system or perhaps oxygen sensor. I don't want to attempt to drive it as even after I've changed the oil/filter(as a precaution and as it was about due anyways) while the car started and ran fine at idle for 15 mins, as soon as I engaged gear to take it for a spin it stopped :neutral: While running at idle the yellow engine light stays on again..
To complicate things, I've got a Racechip Ultimate installed which so far ran great without issues(I've done about 8k kms with it and just returned from a long trip to Melbourne totalling about 2500kms)

Question:
Should I do diagnostics when the OBD2 scanner turns up with the chip installed or should I revert to the original computer for that?

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 23:49:42 by t4orce »
  • i30 GD2 CRDi 2014 Auto 128hp

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Car is a 2014 i30 Auto Diesel 128HP GD2 Model bought a few months ago(Ex Ausgrid car with ~35k kms on the clock) ~45k kms now..

Problem: (Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to think what are the right steps to take)
2 days ago car gets stuck middle of the street while attempting to park in driveway(had to be pushed/parked by hand on the street),  engine was turning and at one point briefly started yet stopped when engaged in gear. Left it for about an hour and tried again, after a couple of tries managed to start, quickly engaged gear and drove into driveway. Engine management light came on and stayed on while car was operating.

I've read everything I could I think on this issue on these forums and ordered a OBD2 scanner which I'm waiting to arrive for further investigation but as far as I've read I wouldn't be surprised if something was up with the EGR system or perhaps oxygen sensor. I don't want to attempt to drive it as even after I've changed the oil/filter(as a precaution and as it was about due anyways) while the car started and ran fine at idle for 15 mins, as soon as I engaged gear to take it for a spin it stopped :neutral: While running at idle the yellow engine light stays on again..
To complicate things, I've got a Racechip Ultimate installed which so far ran great without issues(I've done about 8k kms with it and just returned from a long trip to Melbourne totalling about 2500kms)

Question:
Should I do diagnostics when the OBD2 scanner turns up with the chip installed or should I revert to the original computer for that?

Cheers
When it comes to mods , I'm dumb. Can you expalin the mod? Is it a piggy back or whole new ECU? How does it integrate with all the security  features like immobos etc?

If it can be returned to  original easily I'd be looking at that  or dependant on any installation wty I guess.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
When it comes to mods , I'm dumb. Can you expalin the mod? Is it a piggy back or whole new ECU? How does it integrate with all the security  features like immobos etc?

If it can be returned to  original easily I'd be looking at that  or dependant on any installation wty I guess.

It's a piggy back indeed, bypasses the factory ECU and as far as I know shouldn't interfere with any security features and can easily be reverted to factory ECU. But funny you mentioned immobilisers as I have read a couple of threads about people using the spare key and transponder(I believe) going faulty. As a matter of fact I was using the spare key when it happened but I've also used my usual key and same thing happens, again, the engine light stays on.. thanks

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Return to original set up and see what happens.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wss:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Return to original set up and see what happens.

Will definitely do but I wanted to know if it throws any fault codes, guess I'll find out and report (hope it's not the chip though  :rolleyes:)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can't advise really except if I was in this situation and it can be reverted that's the first thing I would do

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I'd hazard a guess this may be something to do with the diesel pump. No reason, just a hunch. The OBD adapter should give an error code and some more insight into the issue. Best of luck!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Quick update:  (thanks tw2005 & PhireSide for the suggestions)

So while I'm still waiting for the OBD scanner which looks like should arrive next week I wanted to indeed try some elimination work so I unplugged the Racechip and plugged in the factory ECU. Car started straight away with engine light still on(didn't drive it). This was 2 days ago..
In the mean time I just remembered to check my air filter since I did the return trip from Sydney to Melbourne and it was filthy with certain dead critters stuck inside. Ordered new filter which was put in today, vacuumed the airbox and checked the Maf as well for any obstructions(all clear). Started the car with new engine oil, air filter and factory ECU..NO Engine light

While I was glad, I just had to take it for a test drive which ended up being about 40Kms (tank half full) of normal back streets driving at 60-70kms/hr and perhaps 10 mins of highway at 110Kms/hr on the way back. During this time I went through numerous roundabouts, stopped twice to check my oil level since I'd just changed it and kept driving in 'D' mode. The last 7-8 kms of the trip I changed to 'Sports' or manual mode as I kinda' enjoy it and have more control over the engine etc.. Got off the highway went through a roundabout then straight for about 1Km until the next roundabout.. Was in 3rd 'manual mode' and put my foot down as I was coming out.. ENGINE DIES! Hazards on, pulled over, checked under bonnet, nothing suspicious and no bad smells. After 5 mins start right back up and get home no problem in 'D' mode. At no point did any Engine light come on. So suffice to say I'm stumped for now..
I will purchase some fuel cleaner called Fuelmaster which I read about on here, guess it can't hurt  :rolleyes:

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Also can anyone tell me if they get the momentary red light coming on on the left side of the dash(white arrow) just before starting? Can't remember if that was there before the problem started. Does anyone one know what it is? It doesn't stay on so I guess shouldn't be worried, more curious than anything..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This thing has warranty if there's no evidence of "Mods" being 2014 model? looks like the fuel filter light. I'd guess it would illuminate as a check then go out. I'll check the FD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
yeah, illuminates then out in 5-10 secs. Be same deal for the GD too.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Would that light not perhaps be indicative of water in the fuel filter? Might be worth a check.

If it goes out after a while then probably not, but worth a check

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
yeah, illuminates then out in 5-10 secs. Be same deal for the GD too.

Not sure about warranty as I just bought it from fixed price Auctions(ex Ausgrid car) but was thinking to check on that anyways
Cheers for that, appreciate it  :goodjob2:

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Would that light not perhaps be indicative of water in the fuel filter? Might be worth a check.

Hmm, the red light doesn't stay on but I was wondering what the symbol was for and its significance. One of the things on my list was indeed checking for water in the fuel filter (I was reading up on it in the manual) so might have it looked at as well. Thing is tw2005 reckons the light is normal(I just wasn't sure)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Hmm, the red light doesn't stay on but I was wondering what the symbol was for and it's significance. One of the things on my list was indeed checking for water in the fuel filter (I was reading up on it in the manual) so might have it looked at as well. Thing is tw2005 reckons the light is normal(I just wasn't sure)
It's normal for all the lights to come on at ignition on and then majority extinguish before you even start cranking. Kind of handy to know th e globe or light is still working otherwise it's never going to illuminate.

By all means undo the sensor and drain the fuel fromthe filter for a look but what that light is currently doing is not a fault indication.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thankfully diesels are pretty easy to diagnose as all they need is pressurised air and fuel to ignite. Fixing them is...not so easy sometimes :sweating:

Something is causing your injectors to cease functioning, so at least that is a start in the right direction. The reason my mind wandered to the 'water in fuel' symptom was because you said it cut out after taking a turn around a roundabout. Perhaps at that stage the fuel in the filter sloshed around and the engine ingested some water? That being said, it may cause some spluttering, at most. Certainly not enough to turn the engine off unless the injectors turn off as a failsafe?

I'll keep racking my brains and post back here if I can think of anything

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thankfully diesels are pretty easy to diagnose as all they need is pressurised air and fuel to ignite. Fixing them is...not so easy sometimes :sweating:

Something is causing your injectors to cease functioning, so at least that is a start in the right direction. The reason my mind wandered to the 'water in fuel' symptom was because you said it cut out after taking a turn around a roundabout. Perhaps at that stage the fuel in the filter sloshed around and the engine ingested some water? That being said, it may cause some spluttering, at most. Certainly not enough to turn the engine off unless the injectors turn off as a failsafe?

I'll keep racking my brains and post back here if I can think of anything
Not so sure about the easy bit. Hyundai failed to diagnose and rectifiy my fathers FD diesel which would randomly turn off without warning and immediately fire back up on a key cycle. Nearly got taken out by a truck so he traded it.

Went on for a few years, he gave up in the end.

If you believe all the paperwork it was contaminated fuel, then it was several filters, then the filter housing, then fuel then the fuel pump which they claimed to have replaced but had not.

To me it was like a glitch, suspect computer or wiring. Never threw a code and never hesitated  100% normal running and power. The vehicle was over serviced and immaculate

Not an isolated case yet I've got 3 and nothing to report.  Could be right about the injectors shutting down or electronic based iss

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Yikes, I would trade it too if I had that sort of trouble with a car. That sounds really hectic. It does sound like some electronic gremlin to me too, seeing as the shutoff is instant without any spluttering or misfiring

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yikes, I would trade it too if I had that sort of trouble with a car. That sounds really hectic. It does sound like some electronic gremlin to me too, seeing as the shutoff is instant without any spluttering or misfiring
I did joke with him we could have transplanted entire looms etc from another wreck cheaper than spending 20 grand!  he has very few driving years left really at 86

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So for whatever reason I was confident I could take the wife out in the car, she wan't too impressed and specifically said 'why are we taking this car?' :whistler: Went to Auto1 first to buy a new fuel filter and then visited another shop and as we came out on the main road engine stops again. Wasn't even accelerating hard or anything..pulled over and car never started again(this was about 3PM). Engine turns and starts briefly, it looks like it wants to idle but turns off immediately.
Long story short, managed to get a lift home, got some tools and came back to 'attempt' to fit new fuel filter. What a PITA
Couple hours later and after having to put a screwdriver through the filter to actually unscrew, placed the new filter in the housing and tried to screw in the bottom sensor plug which doesn't fit :head_butt: They gave me the wrong filter..
Car is resting on the side of the road overnight 10 mins away, hope I find it in one piece tomorrow and will attempt take 2 if I can get the right filter.

I also managed to talk to Hyundai dealer dude down the road and he said to come back Monday/ Tuesday as the Service guys could check if the car is under the original Ausgrid Company Fleet warranty which he reckons it could be.
Fingers crossed nothing happens overnight :sweating:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The last 7-8 kms of the trip I changed to 'Sports' or manual mode as I kinda' enjoy it and have more control over the engine etc.. Got off the highway went through a roundabout then straight for about 1Km until the next roundabout.. Was in 3rd 'manual mode' and put my foot down as I was coming out.. ENGINE DIES!

So is the issue now to do with the ecu set up
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So for whatever reason I was confident I could take the wife out in the car, she wan't too impressed and specifically said 'why are we taking this car?' :whistler: Went to Auto1 first to buy a new fuel filter and then visited another shop and as we came out on the main road engine stops again. Wasn't even accelerating hard or anything..pulled over and car never started again(this was about 3PM). Engine turns and starts briefly, it looks like it wants to idle but turns off immediately.
Long story short, managed to get a lift home, got some tools and came back to 'attempt' to fit new fuel filter. What a PITA
Couple hours later and after having to put a screwdriver through the filter to actually unscrew, placed the new filter in the housing and tried to screw in the bottom sensor plug which doesn't fit :head_butt: They gave me the wrong filter..
Car is resting on the side of the road overnight 10 mins away, hope I find it in one piece tomorrow and will attempt take 2 if I can get the right filter.

I also managed to talk to Hyundai dealer dude down the road and he said to come back Monday/ Tuesday as the Service guys could check if the car is under the original Ausgrid Company Fleet warranty which he reckons it could be.
Fingers crossed nothing happens overnight :sweating:

What did they serve.

I thought  same one from 2007 -2017 FD & GD series Z707 RYCO or OEM 319224H001

Better listen to the Mrs, she who knows best. This is sounding like an issue that's going to be tricky. last thing you want is to be in a situation with no throttle and an imminent accident or disaster. It's sounding precarious :faint:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not sure if this FD instruction may have helped.

:link: i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

So is the issue now to do with the ecu set up

I really don't know but the engine cut out while driving in normal 'D'  mode as well, if that's what you mean.

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
What did they serve.

I thought  same one from 2007 -2017 FD & GD series Z707 RYCO or OEM 319224H001

Better listen to the Mrs, she who knows best. This is sounding like an issue that's going to be tricky. last thing you want is to be in a situation with no throttle and an imminent accident or disaster. It's sounding precarious :faint:

Well I did ask a couple of times if they were sure it was the right filter, today went back and gave me a different brand which was the correct one and said that there were '2 different filters for this car'. I knew about the Ryco one from Supercheap but it was $10 more. I ended up getting the 'army camo' version which cost more anyways lol

First pic shows the wrong filter installed in the fuel jacket on the left, original is on the right and you can even tell the bottom thread is different for the black plug/sensor to be installed

Second pic is the correct filter (next time I'll get the Hyundai one)

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Not sure if this FD instruction may have helped.

:link: i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe

Sure did, thanks  :goodjob:
I had an idea which one was the fuel filter but I'd actually searched on the forum earlier and came across it and had a look on youtube as well. Had to unlock the 2 clips for the airbox filter to pull the top slightly off to the side to allow the battery to come out, then take out what looks like the ECU?(see pic) to get to the actual filter. .

Offline t4orce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So the new fuel filter is in and I made sure to get the air out as per the manual instructions..

Car starts for a second each turn but not running, I'm going to pay a visit to Hyundai Service Dept tomorrow and see if they can help  :Good_luck:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So the new fuel filter is in and I made sure to get the air out as per the manual instructions..

Car starts for a second each turn but not running, I'm going to pay a visit to Hyundai Service Dept tomorrow and see if they can help  :Good_luck:
Beyond my experience. so you primed it with the plunger until it got firm? There's another pump in the top of the tank.

Thinking back to when I ran Liquidmoly through one of mine , it was able to run straight from can disconnected from the filter.
I don't know how much you want to fool around with this as  if this is going to be a waranty claim you may already be walking the line with an aftermarket filter and DIY but it is what is is already.

The guide is here.

:link: How to clean your Diesel Fuel System ? LIQUI-MOLY Australia

What I'm thinking is doing the same but with a container of fresh clean diesel and see if it runs.

If it does but does not when connected back to the main filter then that may point back towards the pump in the tanks.
Also are the lines connected the right way around? one is feed , one is return or basically are they connected how they were originally?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal