i30 Owners Club

i30 GD Auto sometimes won't start

Laine · 5 · 2440

Offline Laine

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria, Australia
I am having intermittent trouble starting my 4 year old i30. When in park, and all the lights are on the dashboard, the engine is completely dead.  The thing that I have found helps to start the car is by pushing the gear stick firmly into the park position.  Sometimes I take it off park and push it back into park, quite firm and then the car starts.  This has only started happening recently but is getting worse and more frequent.  Any ideas what the problem could be?
  • 2013 i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
By the sound of it you have an electromechanical issue (parking position microswitch?)

I guess you can reproduce the problem by pulling the stick gently away from park then trying to start?

Seems like you have some warranty left - why not give your nearest Hyundai service depot a call?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I am having intermittent trouble starting my 4 year old i30. When in park, and all the lights are on the dashboard, the engine is completely dead.  The thing that I have found helps to start the car is by pushing the gear stick firmly into the park position.  Sometimes I take it off park and push it back into park, quite firm and then the car starts.  This has only started happening recently but is getting worse and more frequent.  Any ideas what the problem could be?

2013 + 5 = 2018

Yeah, warranty. Any left?

I think you may have the answer though. Sounds like an interlock issue. Now could be cable adjustment, maybe a worn selector bushing(cabling) or the contact itself which I'd have to research. Could be integrated into th eselector shaft switch on the box which also may have an alignment issue but I would think rare that would work loose.

Does the dash display "P" when this happens? I hired a Falcoon with about 10000k many years ago, exact same situation. Had to drive that selector hard to get it to start then noticed the gear selection indicated was mismatched.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
By the sound of it you have an electromechanical issue (parking position microswitch?)

I guess you can reproduce the problem by pulling the stick gently away from park then trying to start?

Seems like you have some warranty left - why not give your nearest Hyundai service depot a call?
:MeToo: :whsaid: :beer: :oops:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Laine

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria, Australia
Thanks.  It's under warranty till 30th June.  I'll try reproducing it as Shambles suggested then go to my local dealer.
  • 2013 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal