i30 Owners Club

I30 Premium clutch issue

Offline Maximum989

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Cambridge
Hi all!
I have had my i30 for 4 months now and have done 4K miles in it (total mileage now 18000).
It had a full check by a independent technician when I brought it and a service in late December that again states clutch was okay.
Since I have owned the car I personally have found the car when pulling away would judder a lot like I wasn’t giving the car enough gas, and occasionally when in 2,3 or 4th gear it would over Rev like it hadn’t engaged the gear correctly.
This morning I was unable to change from 2nd to 3rd and had to pull over to give the car a moment to allow me to engage a new gear.
Also the over reving was near enough constant.

I spoke to Hyundai customers services, they stated that the clutch was faulty so to get AA response repair to take a look as part of their warranty.
The engineer turnt up, was in the car 30 seconds and said “yep, you can smell it, the clutch is knackered” before towing it away to Hyundai dealer 20 miles away.

My question is, the car was registered in nov 2015 so the clutch warranty has now passed states them, but surely a clutch should not burn out that quickly??
Also they haven’t done there investigation to see if it’s a manufacturer fault as it’s £130 per hour to find what the issue is before they make their judgement where it’s done to them or me.

Any help/ advice from others would be greatly appreciated.
  • I30 Premium CRDI

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The problem is you can never be sure how the car was driven before. 

A friend's wife had a new 2014 i30 diesel manual in which the reverse gear was a much higher ratio than 1st gear.  Their driveway in front of the house is very steep and it turned out that she had to rev madly and slip the clutch to get up the hill. He was blissfully ignorant of this - so he claimed. He didn't have any such problem with his auto ix35.

Her clutch got burnt out in the first year - I think at about 9000 miles - I can't recall how much it cost - he had it done by a independent and not the main dealer.

She has now been "advised" to reverse down the drive so she can drive out forwards and has now had the car for a further 3 years without clutch problems.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 19:35:51 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Maximum989

:wttc:

Clutch warranty is often an issue.

You will have to take out the gearbox to inspect the clutch thoroughly. That work is propably 2-4 hours. The problem is that the dealer can't promise you it will be covered by warranty before this work is done and if then the clutch is found faulty by wear (no mechanical issue) then no warranty.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If happy with price for new clutch let them replace but on the priviso that they keep the old one for inspection.

Based on findings submit claim to hy and see what they reply.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The problem is you can never be sure how the car was driven before. 

A friend's wife had a new 2014 i30 diesel manual in which the reverse gear was a much higher ratio than 1st gear.  Their driveway in front of the house is very steep and it turned out that she had to rev madly and slip the clutch to get up the hill. He was blissfully ignorant of this - so he claimed. He didn't have any such problem with his auto ix35.

Her clutch got burnt out in the first year - I think at about 9000 miles - I can't recall how much it cost - he had it done by a independent and not the main dealer.

She has now been "advised" to reverse down the drive so she can drive out forwards and has now had the car for a further 3 years without clutch problems.

All I can do is completely agree will Alan and advise you to put a new clutch in . Get a quote or two because the dealer will  :whistler: have his way with your pocket if not your body. :mrgreen:

I love the diesel manual, but stunned that the gearing is so high in reverse. I have a 150 metre drive way that has a 3.5:1 gradient (think mountain-side) If I stop when reversing up it, I cannot start again.

There is a possibility that an oil seal has leaked oil onto the clutch plate. In that case your warranty should cover you
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: "Max"

Early clutch failure is not common, fortunately,  but is a contentious issue with any brand when it happens. Very frustrating with a relatively new car and I feel for you. Be firm but fair, try to keep the dealer on side if you can because it can make a lot of difference if they go in to bat for you.

Fingers crossed things fall in your favour.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bushy871

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW

• 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual
I had a similar problem with clutch and it turned out (after agreeing to removal by dealer) that it was a front seal dripping oil into clutch area and was replaced under warranty. Had to agree to paying if not a warranty issue.

Had two quote from both mechanic and dealer and it was about $150 more if the dealer did the job although mechanic said if a warranty issue he would have to send to dealer anyway for replacement.

This did not happen if changing gears at higher revs normally so when I drove the car rarely did it but when wife drove did it regularly.

2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual
  • Hyuandi I30 Diesel 2012

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Bushy, welcome and thanks for your input.

Glad to see that your dealer treated you fairly.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Maximum989 Did this get sorted. An update on the outcome would be appreciated please.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
2010 fd I30 240k clutch shudder when cold due to warped clutch - pressure plate, developed a high spot.

note - don't teach daughter to drive in I30 until she's had lessons with driving school  :scared:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interesting, but not too surprising, that Maximum989 hasn't revisited this topic since he started it 4 months ago :rolleyes:

@Maximum989
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal