i30 Owners Club

Manual door locking on 2018 i30 does not work.

Footski · 56 · 17031

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
I recently discovered on my 8 month old I30 that when using the key to lock the doors it only locks the drivers door. Assuming a faulty central locking mechanism, I took it in for warranty repair, only to be told that this is how all i30's work. The mechanics were baffled and replaced the mechanism to no avail. They checked online and came up with nothing. Checking other new i30's they found they all works the same way. Obviously a design flaw in the new model I am told, but people need to be aware. If your remote key fails, you have no way to secure the car manually.
Unless someone out ther knows differently.
  • Hyundai i30 (new 2017/18 model)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Me extraña un montón, Malagueño. :confused:

Some of our new model owners will be along soon to confirm, but I would insist that this is not the intended design. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I recently discovered on my 8 month old I30 that when using the key to lock the doors it only locks the drivers door. Assuming a faulty central locking mechanism, I took it in for warranty repair, only to be told that this is how all i30's work. The mechanics were baffled and replaced the mechanism to no avail. They checked online and came up with nothing. Checking other new i30's they found they all works the same way. Obviously a design flaw in the new model I am told, but people need to be aware. If your remote key fails, you have no way to secure the car manually.
Unless someone out ther knows differently.
DO these have the lock all button inside the drivers door? Maybe push that and then lock drivers with key.

weird setup though. Not knowing the new model surprised it's not keyless
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
It is keyless, but if you need to use the old fashioned manual key, it does not work. Hyundai mechanics have been working on it all day and when they found the other cars in their stock were the same they were very surprised, nearly as much as me!
As for locking from inside, yes this works but as son as you open the drivers door to get out it unlocks all the doors. We have tried everything we can think of.

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
Me extraña un montón, Malagueño.
Malaga is still a wonderful place. After 19 years here we still love it.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Having hit Spain several times throughout our lives to visit family, we're seriously considering pulling out our Spanish passports and spending retirement chasing the sun, 6 months in Spain, 6 months in Oz.

I have family in Córdoba and the wife has them in Terrassa. I understand your pleasure at living there. Just last November I spent 2 weeks in Madrid teaching our next batch of military Embassy staff Spanish. The exchange rate coupled with Spain's CPI convinced us it would be a smart move to make the country our second home. :victory:

:welcome: to the forum, by the way.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
SO if the remote fails, whats' the backup start procedure? Fob against the start button? Maybe they expect you'll be rushing down to get it fixed? Any info in the user manual

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
I agree. We love the place and the people, although the manan attitude sometimes gets you down, like now when trying to get a simple problem solved, they just show little interest. Not their problem, Hyundai's.
Still, we wouldn't be anywhere else.

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
SO if the remote fails, whats' the backup start procedure? Fob against the start button? Maybe they expect you'll be rushing down to get it fixed? Any info in the user manual
No start button in my model. A key in the ignition job, so failure not a problem. The manual. Simply states that the key used in the drivers door will open and lock ALL doors. Of course this is not the case and the other doors do not have a key receiver.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
For such a recent model you are right to be surprised and disappointed. I do wonder whether this might be a programmable behaviour a la auto door locking at speed (which I had disabled at purchase - the mere thought of the locks activating ever 40kph would drive me nuts thinking of the extra wear on the mechanisms :crazy1:).

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
No start button in my model. A key in the ignition job, so failure not a problem. The manual. Simply states that the key used in the drivers door will open and lock ALL doors. Of course this is not the case and the other doors do not have a key receiver.
Ok, so when I said keyless I meant no key  to start.

Yeah that sounds like a stuff up. I expect we'll read more with a recall or fix of some sort. Manual states the function and that's not normal to me. Maybe it's a firmware or programming issue within the Body Control module.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
DO these have the lock all button inside the drivers door?

On the PD the switch is in the middle of the console under the screen.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yes I have just tried it with my Active PD model. When locking manually with the car key, only the driver's door is locked. All other doors remained unlocked. Obviously a design flaw. Need to bring it up to Hyundai Australia. Probably through my dealer.
  • 2017 i30 Active PD 2.0-litre Auto Phantom Black

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
This is about locking the car manually with the car key from the outside. Not from the inside.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yup.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

ns

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
SR PD owners, would you like to try to a do manual lock with your car from the outside? I'm curious to see if this issue only applies to Active models.

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
Yes I have just tried it with my Active PD model. When locking manually with the car key, only the driver's door is locked. All other doors remained unlocked. Obviously a design flaw. Need to bring it up to Hyundai Australia. Probably through my dealer.
Exactly my problem. Glad I brought it to your attention. I will be contacting Hyundai Spain. It really does require a fix from Hyundai.
Model names vary, depending on country. Here in Spain, mine is the Klasse.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Have tried it on PD SR Premium.  The key only locks the driver’s door. It’s something you would only find out if your key fob lock/unlock failed or the button on the door failed.

We all need to alert Hyundai in our respective country to this issue.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
And here I thought it was obvious that they are late model Hyundai owners of the world. :rolleyes:

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I text my friend who is the Service Manager at South Morang Hyundai and he says that it could be a normal thing. The intention is that the only time you will need the key to unlock the car is when the remote battery goes flat. Once the driver's door is  open, you can unlock the rest of the doors. But there is still the issue of a flat remote battery when you want to lock the car. So he will check with the relevant dept in the dealership and see whether it can be set up as a function with the Hyundai Global Diagnostic System GDS tool.

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
But, if you wish to use the key to lock the car, so as not to activate the alarm, for example when using a car ferry, you cannot do so. Also in areas where remote controls are blocked, i.e. Near some military installations or police stations. The bottom line is that all doors should lock using the key. It is nonsense for anyone to suggest differently and even the instruction manual says it works that way.
I think we will have to wait and see what Our relative Hyundai top dogs say......Interesting if annoying.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Footski,

Reminds me of a character from Red Dwarf.. :lol:

I have a PD SR so I will follow this with interest.

Looks like we've got plenty of ammunition /information to approach Hyundai with.    :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
Cheers Dazzler,
A pleasure to be here.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Insurance may be void if car stolen or theft from car and it came to insurers notice the car not secure.

Is the alarm activated even though all door not locked?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
Insurance may be void if car stolen or theft from car and it came to insurers notice the car not secure.

Is the alarm activated even though all door not locked?
No it is not. Using the key to lock the doors leaves the alarm off. This is for occasions like car ferries when car alarms must not be set.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
So why can you not lock the doors from the inside first using the central locking button on the dash, open the driver's door, get out of the car, then lock the driver's door back with the key. I tested it on my PD and it works. The alarm (immobiliser) also seems to come on after the timer expires as the LED on the top of the dash starts blinking.

I don't really see the big issue here or a design flaw as such. The only problem would be a depleted car battery that cannot run the door activators, so the central locking button would not work either.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Footski

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      La Vinuela, Malaga
So why can you not lock the doors from the inside first using the central locking button on the dash, open the driver's door, get out of the car, then lock the driver's door back with the key. I tested it on my PD and it works. The alarm (immobiliser) also seems to come on after the timer expires as the LED on the top of the dash starts blinking.

I don't really see the big issue here or a design flaw as such. The only problem would be a depleted car battery that cannot run the door activators, so the central locking button would not work either.
I do not know what a PD model is, but using the internal locking button is cancelled upon opening the drivers door. Please believe me. Hyundai mechanics have been all over it and it is a design fault.
As previously stated, if you park in an area where remotes are not permitted or you want to use a car ferry, it is a problem. If your remote fails, the key will not secure your vehicle, leaving you in a very insecure position. It may be that models vary somewhat from country to country.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I do not know what a PD model is

FD
ns

GD
ns