i30 Owners Club

Mirrors change on folding one in FD

Offline Jakubek89

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hi all! I have i30 2011 gasoline. I have heated + electrically adjustable mirrors. I would like to change them on mirrors with those two options + electrically folding. I now that I need to buy new mirrors ( 7PIN or 8PIN - with indicators) + side panel with additional switch.

Did anyone of FD owners conducted such modification? Is this difficult and is it necessary to exchange entire cable kit? Maybe there is somewhere manual how to do such modifications? - unfortunately I didn't found anything helpful. thanks
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Hatch, Gasoline 1.6, Manual (6), Silver

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Would take some research. You would have to find a donor car and get the correct harness. Then you'd be reliant upon whether the power was present or not at the other end at the Junction box. You'd also have to look at the side indicators how you'd get them to work and you also have the side ones in the panel.Then you'd have to source the switch and a new cover or insert that goes over the switch gear.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Jakubek89

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
i prefer mirrors without indicators, to avoid another problem which is making them work. I spent two days looking any information regarding changing mirrors, but didn`t find any instruction.
In theory I know that:
- need to change panel and but extra switch
- buy mirrors with folding option
- I found movie how to remove mirrors and side panel

but didn`t find any movie/ tutorial how to change and plug folding mirrors ,when you do not have those from beginning.
I think that this is possible, especially as people did such modification as adding Cruise control, which I think is far more difficult. :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day Jak,
Seems like your the first,  there is kit on ebay to get mirrors to open and close via ignition. No switch needed then.
Blinkers would be a pain  but as  tw says a harness would be handy.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: My memory isn't what it used to be (if I remember correctly)  :snigger:

But I can't recall any of our members ever doing this.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In this wide open land of milk and honey we call Australia, I have never felt the need to retract the mirrors. Just another complexity that will eventually fail and need repair. :p
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
In this wide open land of milk and honey we call Australia, I have never felt the need to retract the mirrors. Just another complexity that will eventually fail and need repair. :p

We've had our GD for 14 months now, and I STILL forget to put them back out.
   :head_knock: :head_knock:  :crazy1:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Jakubek89

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Gadget, it's true  :D ... but it's handy. For now, I am parking my car on street, so for safety I prefer to close the mirrors to not provoke anyone to stupid ideas ;) and to do that, I need to go around my car and do it manually. And to be honest it wouldn`t be such a pain in the ass, if I haven't forgetten to unfold them on the next day... more annoying is that you realizing that you need to unfold them, when you are sitting comfortably in the car ;p .

p.s. could someone explain the translation of harness as it comes to car context? thx     

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The harness is the set of cabling from one end of connectors to the other, like the nervous system in the body, often referring to a cable used as an adapter as well.

Offline Jakubek89

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
o, right....Okay, I called that  a cable kit. 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
o, right....Okay, I called that  a cable kit.
:goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal