i30 Owners Club

Glow plug - Experience

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Hi,
it's a few days that I have noticed a difficulty of the engine to turn on in the mornings when is cold. Now it the mornings the temperature outside is -3 to +3. I think that maybe the glow plugs of my i30 diesel 2013 start to worm out but I am not sure. The battery of the car is one year old and is good condition. Also the car's engine turn on easily in the afternoon. Have you experience this problem and have u ever changed glow plugs?

Also it does not appear any orange glow plug icon  on the screen that stays for some seconds to be sure for the problem.

I will appreciate your experience in this issue - problem.

Regards!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 21:57:08 by chris_i30gd »
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Chris. The orange dashboard indicator is slaved to current flow in the glow plugs, which might be suggesting that the glow plugs are not getting the current to 'glow'.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi, Chris. The orange dashboard indicator is slaved to current flow in the glow plugs, which might be suggesting that the glow plugs are not getting the current to 'glow'.

Is there are specific fuse @The Gonz ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is there are specific fuse @The Gonz ?
I've never needed to look, but I'll see what I can find.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:link: Embarrassing question - how do I remove glow plug fuse? might help, but our techs may be able to make better sense of it. For instance, no glow current might cause much greater starting difficulties, or the logic driven by a glow plug's temperature sensor somewhere may be the culprit.

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
My mistake in description of the problem. On the dashboard the glow spark icon appear for a sec and it then  disapear. But it does not stay after the engine starts. So the car does not indicate problem in the glow sparks. But the morning start is difficult and it takes 3-4 secs for the car to start!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 19:36:00 by chris_i30gd »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My mistake in description of the problem. On the dashboard the glow spark icon appear for a sec and it diisaper. But it does not stay after the engine starts. So the car does not indicate problem in the glow sparks. But the morning start is difficult and it takes 3-4 secs for the car to start!

You never get that inducation in the dash about the glow plugs. If the car is difficult to start and it then run rough for a few seconds it's very likely one or more glow plugs is dead.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Problem fixed. I went to a car mechanic friend of mine. He took out and test the glow plugs and all 4 were dead. The car does not produce an error code when all the glow plug are not working. I bought 4 new denso glow plug and is fine now. So when the battery is ok and the car does not start easily
 in the  cold days of winter, will  need new glow plugs. Cost near 70euro
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:20:04 by chris_i30gd »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good result. :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As we suspected.  :goodjob: Good price too if that included testing and swapping them out.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
The price was 70euro for denso glow plugs
+ 35euro  for  both front brembo  brake pads 
and 30euro for the work to test and change all the previous :)

About the glow plugs, the i30 gd don't have and icon that shows the problem when they are burned.
So can understand  that you have all 4 burned glow plugs if the car int he cold does not turn on easily
and when is turned on it smell from wrong burn of the engine is bad :)

Offline rnblade

• 2nd Gear
It might seem a silly question but are they easy to change? I don’t want to be shelling out over £120 here, to be smashed with fitting charge as well??
I’ve recently changed the battery and it still is sluggish to start. Tried the double glow plug warm technique and then it eventually starts.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It might seem a silly question but are they easy to change? I don’t want to be shelling out over £120 here, to be smashed with fitting charge as well??
I’ve recently changed the battery and it still is sluggish to start. Tried the double glow plug warm t
echnique and then it eventually starts.

Yes and no. Usually they come out easily enough but apparently there are a couple of tricks to it including I think a warm engine and a good spray of crc or wd40 a few hours before trying. We had one member @Asterix who is an experienced technician and he had a couple that wouldn't come out. He ended up needing a new head. Not his, the one on the engine.  :snigger:

Offline rnblade

• 2nd Gear
I’ve recently changed the battery and it still is sluggish to start. Tried the double glow plug warm t

Yes and no. Usually they come out easily enough but apparently there are a couple of tricks to it including I think a warm engine and a good spray of crc or wd40 a few hours before trying. We had one member @Asterix who is an experienced technician and he had a couple that wouldn't come out. He ended up needing a new head. Not his, the one on the engine.  :snigger:
Many thanks for the answer. So it might be prudent to get a garage to do them in case I snap one.
Is there a part number and any recommendations?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the originals are NGK?  But my memory isn't what it used to be!  :undecided:

Something like these..

:link: 4x NGK NTK Diesel D Heater Glow Plugs For Kia / HYUNDAI Models No. 91843 5054716394019 | eBay

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Many thanks for the answer. So it might be prudent to get a garage to do them in case I snap one.
Is there a part number and any recommendations?

If happy to try why not have a go but if you find one is stuck give up before you cause damage
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rnblade

• 2nd Gear
I might be being thick, but it looks like a bit of a pig job. Remove the heat shield etc, and Sod’s law I would break one. I’m thinking about doing it, but don’t want to make a hash of it, plus as I’m a bit shorter, difficult to reach over engine. Excuses I know, but it would be just my luck to snap one. I have been looking for a tutorial but can’t find one. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
, plus as I’m a bit shorter, difficult to reach over engine.

Stand on a stool to give hight and reach as i have to use a stool if i want to give the centre of my car roof a good polish otherwise i can just about give the centre part a bit of a flick
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you don't feel confident you can do it successfully, bite the bullet and pay a garage to do it.

Having said that, it is fairly easy. First time I changed them, no problems, but I made 1 mistake; I lubricated the threads thinking they would be easier to remove next time. Wrong.!

As said, put some oil on a day before and make sure to remove the glow plugs when the engine is warm, at operating temperature.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Hiya, I am new, picked up my car on Saturday 17.3.18.. Anyway, the weather took a turn and the temperature dropped to -6 for 3 days and when I went to start it it took 4 goes, the glow plug light only stayed on for a second or two, I would have expected 4-5 seconds as it is on my Berlingo 1.9D..
 I'm thinking Glow plugs need changing, after reading these replies.. Would I be correct that the issue with my car is similar to the ones in this thread ?
 Which brand work well ?? I use Beru in my Berlingo, they have lasted 100k miles and the van is in daily use.. Genuine are expensive, Bosch are cheap..
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
it is possible that you need glow plugs.

Beru are double price. They may last more but not sure

Bosch and the all the other are much cheaper.

I think beru are more expensive because they heat up little faster but that is not a major +.

Offline rnblade

• 2nd Gear
To add to my post, I’ve ordered Bosch set from reputable EBay seller. Going to have a go at this myself using all the great info received. Might even take a few pics and do a tutorial. Check me out 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:drinks: good luck with it!

Offline rnblade

• 2nd Gear
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312030541026
Decent price I thought, free next day delivery too, considering EuroCarParts want £30 for 1 !!
Going to try and fit them this weekend if the weather stays fair. Fingers crossed I don’t fcuk it up and end up calling for a mechanic

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Any luck with these ? Have you noticed any difference good or bad ?
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi All,

The weather has got a bit colder down here in Tassie, and I noticed the i30 was cranking more than normal before it started, with a small cloud of white smoke on start up.

I suspected the Glow Plugs, (140.000 kms), I priced a set from Hyundai, ($440.00).

I took the car to my mechanic, (it was out of warranty in march). He confirmed the Glow Plugs were cactus and for the diagnosis, supply and fit new plugs the cost is $250.00.

Will let you know how it starts when I get the car back.
  • 2019 Holden Astra RSV. 2019 Tucson Highlander.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi All,

The weather has got a bit colder down here in Tassie, and I noticed the i30 was cranking more than normal before it started, with a small cloud of white smoke on start up.

I suspected the Glow Plugs, (140.000 kms), I priced a set from Hyundai, ($440.00).

I took the car to my mechanic, (it was out of warranty in march). He confirmed the Glow Plugs were cactus and for the diagnosis, supply and fit new plugs the cost is $250.00.

Was that $440 fitted?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi All,

That's a lot better Eddie  :victory: The $440 was just for the plugs if my memory serves me correctly?

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Nothing wrong with your memory Dazzler, yes that was the price of the plugs, $110.00 each, plus fitting.
  • 2019 Holden Astra RSV. 2019 Tucson Highlander.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal