Author Topic: LED Number Plate and Interior Lights  (Read 590 times)

• au Australia
    Sydney
LED Number Plate and Interior Lights
« February 10, 2018, 02:55:51 »
Hey Guys,

Just got delivery of my 2018 Hyundai i30 SR Premium!! WOOOO!
But the interior and number plate halogen bulbs are a disappointing yellow (which is weird given the rest of the car has LED lights right!?).

I am in no way experienced with ANYTHING electrically or mechanically technical but am hoping to change the number plate light and interior lights to white LED lights. Given my gross incompetence at any of this stuff I was hoping for some advice :)

NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS
:link: *NEW* MEGA White LED Parking or Number Plate Lights for Hyundai i20 i30 i40 i45 | eBay

These seem to be plug and play -> have I made a prematurely bad purchase or am I right in thinking that its a simple swapout? Have I made the right bulb choice?

INTERIOR LIGHTS
:link: Upgrade Car Interior Set Led Super White Color (8pcs T10 5LED + 4pcs T10 Lens) | eBay

These also seem to just be a plug and play -> what do you guys think? Now, I have no idea what a canbus is - is that something I need to worry about when it comes to changing the interior lights to LED lights?
In terms of number of LEDs per light and type of LED, these are T10 5 LED 5630 SMD - does that sound appropriate?

Thanks so much for all and any advice!! And thanks for putting up with my ignorance!

• 2018 i30 SR Premium

• au Australia
    Melbourne
Re: LED Number Plate and Interior Lights
« Reply #1 : February 10, 2018, 03:09:30 »
Congratulations on the new SR Premium  :Drive:

LED T10 can be used to replace the W5W type bulbs that are fitted to many of the low-wattage lights in your car.  So, your linked examples seem to be right.

However, the interior lights (map, room, vanity, luggage) bulbs are mainly festoon type. Search ebay for "festoon led". 
You will need to measure the length of your current festoon bulbs to get the matching LEDs, typically 31mm or 36mm.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Melbourne
  • Callsign GUNZ
    • Professional Biography
« Reply #2 : February 10, 2018, 03:16:45 »
 :iws:

36 will do the dome and boot, 31 will do the sun visors. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: 09HyperSilver5spSLXCRDi/bodykit/cammirror/dashcam/GPS/QiWireless

« Reply #3 : February 10, 2018, 04:24:36 »
You guys are legends! Thanks for the super quick input! I really appreciate it :)

Found the type of lights that the i30 uses in the user's manual which I have attached for everyone's convenience.

I have decided on getting the following LEDs for the interior of the car:
:link: 4x Canbus Error Free 31mm 6 SMD Festoon 5630 LED Car Interior Dome Map Lights OZ | eBay
:link: 4 x 36mm 5630 9 SMD Canbus Festoon LED Car Interior Roof Dome Plate Lights 12V | eBay

REMAINING QUERIES
 - Anyone have any further info regarding the canbus and whether or not I need to start learning about it?
 - Anyone have info regarding brightness / number of LEDs required / type of LED? (I'm not looking to increase the brightness, just change the quality of the light)

- Do I need to disconnect the battery before doing this? (If so, how do I do that?)
 - How do I safely open the housings for the lightbulbs?

Once again please excuse my ignorance!! I'll put up a summary of all the info I learn from this experience so changing lightbulbs will be a simple process for the next person to do this undertaking :)

• 2018 i30 SR Premium

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #4 : February 10, 2018, 04:28:33 »
 :welcumwagon: I like your attitude. Appreciative and considerate (you will fit in well).

I thought I was the only Legend around these parts. But I don't know much about swapping to LED globes... :-[ :snigger:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Melbourne
  • Callsign GUNZ
    • Professional Biography
« Reply #5 : February 10, 2018, 04:48:28 »
Canbus becomes important for high wattage such as exterior illumination but for cabin lighting your eBay cheap stuff (I've found 2 for $1) will do just fine. :goodjob:

As for opening lenses, it's always tense the first time but have patience and find the side and angle that works best for pulling it away from the lining. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: 09HyperSilver5spSLXCRDi/bodykit/cammirror/dashcam/GPS/QiWireless

• au Australia
    Melbourne
« Reply #6 : February 10, 2018, 15:50:45 »
There is no need to disconnect the battery.  Just ensure that the light is off while changing the bulb.  Since the back of the festoon bulbs have a large metal heat sink, there is a minor risk of shorting the socket's terminals while you're plugging them in; This is not an issue if the light is off.

Also, remember that the LEDs have polarity.  So, if you plug one in and it doesn't light up, try replugging it rotated 180 degrees.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

« Reply #7 : February 10, 2018, 18:57:04 »
Thanks Tia that's good to know! I could have totally seen myself installing them the wrong way and then spending hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong! haha  :head_butt:

So with relation to removing the lens covers, I have found this in the owner's manual (see picture).

The rear passenger side lights (my car has a moon roof and therefore no central dome light) they say to get removed by an 'authorised Hyundai dealer' and don't provide any info on how to remove them! Can anyone think of why? Or have insight into how I could do this safely myself?

Long thread over something seemingly simple, I know! haha :P

• 2018 i30 SR Premium

• au Australia
    Australia, Perth
« Reply #8 : February 10, 2018, 19:14:37 »
Good thread.

Used a 31mm festoon LED for interior, and T10 LEDs for map reading. I was bit ham fisted when changing my interior festoon and blew fuses twice as inserted LEDs with wrong polarity & then had to turn them 180.  :sweating:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

« Reply #9 : February 10, 2018, 20:04:29 »
Hey Crusty thanks!

Oooh blowing a fuse would be annoying! (the mrs is majorly paranoid about me voiding warranty and that would only fuel the fire!)

Any advice on knowing, before putting the LEDs in, which orientation is correct?

And still the query regarding the correct way to remove the rear passenger side light lens - insights?

Thanks team!!
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium

• au Australia
    Australia, Perth
« Reply #10 : February 10, 2018, 20:49:38 »
I'm sure  there is a way for determining polarity with Identiification on LED. Most of my LEDs have been from China so my Chinese is a little rusty. Thee are plenty of spare fuses in panel under driver dash, and they are easy to change if it does go wrong.

As others have said just make sure light is switched off first . It is quite easy to remove fuse using supplied fuse holder tool for interior lighting too, replace led & reinset fuse. Switch on & let there be light. If not repeat process. It won't damage The LED.

Don't do what I did as so excited about new LED I left in permanently switched on overnight  :whistler:

As for other query rear passenger light don't have one as just a standard PD SR no sunshine roof
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

anything