i30 Owners Club

Steering shaft spline, cracked plastic coating found when fixing steering knock

Offline MySistersCar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi All,

My first post. Having read about the all too common steering knock problem I replaced the flexible coupling in my sister's car and all is now good. Firstly, thanks to all those who've posted about it and especially about the technical bulletins, they came in handy. While I had it apart though I found that there were radial cracks at each end and in the middle of the plastic coating of the inner spline coupling of the worm gear shaft. (See first photo). When I just touched the piece at the inner end of the spline (bottom end in photo) it just broke into pieces and fell off. I wasn't able to have a good look at the spline socket it fits into (Second photo, sorry it's not a good angle) but from the shaft it looks like the metal splines are high enough that if the plastic went all together it would still engage OK except for some play maybe, not unlike when the flexible coupling perishes. The only purpose for the spline coupling I think would be either to allow for expansion when tilting the steering wheel or as part of the collapsible steering column in case of an accident or maybe both. If the plastic goes altogether then it may bind which in the first case would just make tilting more difficult but in the second case could this this be a safety issue. I was wondering therefore if anyone else who may have done this repair has noticed the same or whether anyone out there may have any insights or maybe some inside information on it. I showed the photo to the service manager of a local dealership and he said it was the first time he had ever seen it. I also checked with spare parts but the shaft isn't available separately so you need to buy the complete steering column assembly which was around $3,880 AU inc GST.

Thanks to all in advance.

• None - sister's car 2009 FD 5 Door, Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc: No need to go retail. Get one from a wreckers yard for a fraction of the cost. :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MySistersCar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for that Dazzler. Just need to be careful getting one from a wreckers. The one in my sister's car looks to have deteriorated from age so if you do, you'd have to check how old it is which is not always possible, unless it's still in the vehicle maybe. From the tech bulletins I've seen covering from the 2009 model I worked on up to the newer Kia's there seems to have been several design changes, particularly with the mounting bracket and how it attaches to the column so you need to be careful and check it's the same. I could only guess as to what differences there may be internally though they all still use the same dodgy flexible coupling.
  • None - sister's car 2009 FD 5 Door, Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good point MSC. It was just a spur of the moment reponse as I was out and about with SWMBO... You certainly couldn't justify buying retail though.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:link: HYUNDAI I30 FD 2007 - 2012 STEERING COLUMN | eBay

Is the part number 563102L500

If so for $450 I reckon I would take a punt myself
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal