i30 Owners Club

How old is my new car?

marti30 · 17 · 4552

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
It's not a problem or issue as such but I wonder how I can tell from the Vehicle Identification Number the build date of the UK diesel pd that I collected last week. I'm the first owner and there were 12 miles on the odometer but the tyres are stamped 1706 which suggests that they were made about a year ago. The window glass has .....7 in the corner.
I knew that it wasn't built to order as it was already in the country when I agreed to buy on 2nd February but do wonder where it's been, for how long and whether it is the very latest model.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi marti30, build date and other information will be listed on the compliance plate inside the passenger door.

If you have the PD model then you have the latest model made, there havent been any updates to the PD yet...still series 1 :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 14:00:09 by CraigB »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No compliance plate on uk cars

We take date from date of first registration of use on uk road.

That date does not relate to date of manufacture.

Marti,
Another pointer for age is if you take the cover off say the fuse box you will see etched in the cover some figures and or box and or circle thingy.  Now looking at them they have markers which show date item manufactured.

Re tyres.
This shows week 17 so may 2006 for tyre manufacture

Are you sure figures not other way which would be february 2017.

I'm sure the vin will show period of manufacture but i'm not up on how alpha/numbers can be interpreted
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's weird :confused: where is the paint code writen on UK cars?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 17:17:36 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My paint codes were usually on a sticker in the door frame.

Regarding the VIN No's - the following was posted on the forum a few years back by one of our members - was it Lorian.  It will be out of date for new models but might still give a clue about the date.  On my Niro the 10th digit is H which equals 2017. My car was built in November 2016 which in Korea counts as 2017 because the new dates start in August.

However - the VIN No. does not give an actual build date.

Hyundai i30 VIN CODE

Digits 1-3 = Manufacturer
KMH  = Hyundai (Korea)
TMA =  HMMC (Czech Republic)

Digit 4 = Vehicle Model
D = i30 or Elantra (i30 hyundai Internal code is FD and in Europe FDe, Elantra Touring is HD)

Digit 5 = Series  (It will vary from country to country).
UK 2007-2010MY it should be:
B = Comfort
C = Style
D = Premium   UK 2011MY it should be:
B = Classic
C = Comfort
D = Premium

Digit 6 = Body Type
5 = Hatchback
8 = Wagon/Estate

Digit 7 = seatbelt type
1 for an i30 = Active seatbelts

Digit 8 - Engine Type
C = 1.4 Petrol (Gamma)
D = 1.6 Petrol (Gamma)
E = 2.0 Petrol (Beta)
S = 1.6CRdi U2 (Started in i30 production since about 07/2009 in Nošovice plant)
T = 1.6CRDi U (In EU some U2 parts used in U engines since about 07/2008)
U = 2.0CRdi

Digit 9 - Check Digit or Driver Side & Gearbox Indicator
In some countries 0-9 means its a check digit
In some countries:
A = Left Hand Drive Manual Gearbox
B = Left Hand Drive Automatic
L = Right Hand Drive Manual
M = Right Hand Drive Automatic

Digit 10 Model Year
7 = 2007
8 = 2008
9 = 2009
A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
<and so on>
Don’t be suprised if it makes your car seem 1 year newer than you thought. I think they start using the "new year" value from August.

Digit 11 Plant Code
A = Alsan, Korea
U = Ulsan, Korea
J = Nošovice (Ostrava), Czech Repiblic

Digits 12 to 17
Individual car serial number as it rolls off the factory floor.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 20:01:32 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I have a sticker on passenger door frame.

Tyre pressure is on a sticker on door frame , drivers side.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
A VIN inputted into a functional and current Hyundai Catalogued Parts System should reveal the production date.

for two of mine  i have 18.04.2008, 30.09.2008  from the VIN.

So the dealer should be able to pull that information for you
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Our GD is :
Built 09-16, over there, shipped at some stage ,complianced 12-16
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I have a sticker on passenger door frame.
Same here, that sticker also has my build date on it.

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Thank you for your prompt and informative replies.
I probably did get the tyre code the wrong way round!
Alan Ho's VIN explanation was particularly helpful and confirms that I have a right hand drive Czech built hatchback with active seat belts. Of greater interest is the tenth character J suggesting 2018 model year and post August 2017 build. The last six digits suggest that my pd was the just within the first 20,000 to be made, could anyone estimate when this might have been?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

My Niro car, built in October 2016 did mot arrive in the UK until the first week of March 2017. 5 months after it was built.

For the life of me - I can't remember how I found out the month it was built in - possibly from the dealer who I kept pestering for delivery information being desperate it was delivered before April 1st to get zero road fund license

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thank you for your prompt and informative replies.
I probably did get the tyre code the wrong way round!
Alan Ho's VIN explanation was particularly helpful and confirms that I have a right hand drive Czech built hatchback with active seat belts. Of greater interest is the tenth character J suggesting 2018 model year and post August 2017 build. The last six digits suggest that my pd was the just within the first 20,000 to be made, could anyone estimate when this might have been?

Not like the fords and bl cars of the 70's left in fields for years before sold  :goodjob2:

Any feedback from the stamps on the plastic covers on fuse box, etc which may give more accurate time line.

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Yesterday I looked under the bonnet for the first time and saw a sticker on the washer bottle 24/02/2017 but I don't think that tells me much. I haven't yet braved looking at the fuse box cover. Next time I'm at a dealer I'll ask them if they can find out for me.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The stickers on individual components probably refer to when they were made. Even the fuse box date could be misleading.

Relax mate - the car was built after August 2017 and its warranty starts the day you bought it. What will be, will be. Just enjoy a great car and stop fretting.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The stickers on individual components probably refer to when they were made. Even the fuse box date could be misleading.

Relax mate - the car was built after August 2017 and its warranty starts the day you bought it. What will be, will be. Just enjoy a great car and stop fretting.

Well said Alan.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Actually I am enjoying the new car. As I lack devices (and Mrs Ho to hold them) I cannot give an informed comparison of my pd against the 288,821 mile fd it replaced but it does seem quieter.
One area of concern is the fuel consumption. Historically my fuel efficiency has slightly exceeded the stated combined cycle figures. My first fill with the pd brimmed the tank just after the distance to empty went to nothing. It took 53 litres (the stated capacity is 50 litres). 690 miles later the DTE went to nothing and I brimmed again with exactly 53 litres. So fuel consumption for the first full tank was 59mpg, similar to my fd when that was new. But whereas the overall economy of my fd gradually improved to 63.3mpg (stated combined figure 62.8mpg) I find it hard to believe the efficiency of the pd will increase to its stated 74.3mpg consumption on the combined cycle. 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Marti30 , interesting read, everyone worry's about there new baby at the start.
that's a great inning's from your FD!! I loved my little FD i30 diesel's too. they never had the partical filter, & got good economy & performed.
I have not thought much about Partical filters in the exhaust system , till I saw a Mazda BT50 SUV ( near new catch fire while parked. seems the PDF gives off so much heat & must not have enough insulation , if you park over dry grass you might come back to a bush fire!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal