i30 Owners Club

i30 GLS Premium 1600 2013 - Alternator Pulley just came off..

Offline Cbeebee21

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Johannesburg
Hi Everyone,

Would just like to know if anyone has ever experienced their alternator pulley just 'coming' off?

We were driving yesterday, heard a noise like the sound of a rock hitting the bottom of the car, stopped quickly to check tyres were fine thinking we had ridden over something all was a okay. Drove not even 600m car started to overheat (one notch over halfway on temp gauge) which made me stop immediately because we have never had that happen before. Popped the bonnet  and  no alternator pulley or belt.

Car has only ever been worked on mechanically by official dealership. Recently went in for noise from engine bay investigating, dealership reported back that it was the release bearing making a racket and replaced same under warranty, noise didn't actually go away. No other mods or work done to car at all.

Mileage currently 81452km.

Have posted pics taken yesterday after we popped the bonnet.

Any advice or experience with having something like this happen?

Thank you

• 2013, i30 GLS Premium, Hatch, 1.6L, Manual, Gunmetal

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Cant say I've ever heard of that happening, I suspect when Hyundai were fault finding they've removed the pulley to check for wear and haven't torqued the bolt correctly when replaced :undecided: I'd certainly be contacting them as soon as possible for an explanation and fix.

Offline Cbeebee21

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Johannesburg
Thanks so much CraigB, making contact with said dealership first thing I'm the morning.
  • 2013, i30 GLS Premium, Hatch, 1.6L, Manual, Gunmetal

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No problem :goodjob2: hopefully they admit to either removing the pulley and not re-installing it correctly or in the case they didn't touch the pulley then they should have picked up the problem when fault finding.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Presume you checked back to where you had stopped/heard noise for pully/belt

Get on to dealer to ask what work had been done to see if they had loosened it to investigate noise prior to work on bearing/clutch

Get to towed to dealer to save on over heating etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This is what I'm thinking. Release bearing? likely means one way clutch pulley on  the alternator.

generally they fail in time and seize. when they do can make a hell of a racket as all the engine vibration passes through the belt and pulley system.

There's a special splined  tool that inserts into the pulley and you would use an impact gun to to get these off and on.

If that's what they've worked on then something has gone wrong with the reinstallation. maybe that pulley was not tight and it's unscrewed itself on deceleration as the inertia and forces would act in the opposite direction but the clutch should release and it should free spin in that scenario.

Either way , the dealer should be expected to wear all costs with this event if this is what they have only just finished working on.

:link: FD i30 CRDi drive belt and alternator rebuild
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I may have to retract, but just realised that's not a FD diesel, GD seriesn petrol or diesel?

Anyway if they use a clutch pulley on that alternator what I've said applies, if not then again I'd assume the pulley was not correctly fitted or tight and the momentum of the alternator spun the shaft on deceleration.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Damn lucky you stopped and had a look and then noticed that it was getting hotter, you may have cooked her.   :sweating:

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Damn lucky you stopped and had a look and then noticed that it was getting hotter, you may have cooked her.   :sweating:

:whsaid: A good effort as not many would notice. The word is the temperature gauge can be quite slow to reflect an increase too (In earlier models anyway)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal