i30 Owners Club

Fitted: TORCON One Bend Aluminium Intake SR Turbo

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Finished work this morning at 6am. Straight home & into bed..  Got woken up with a knock (bang) at the door from delivery driver at 10:45am
It was my Torcon aluminium intake  being delivered..  So kinda didn't mind being woken up about that..

So after waking up a bit & stumbling around the house a bit.    I got to work to fit it in.
I did start a stopwatch timer, just to see how long it takes from start to finish..  Just under 20 mins all up.
That's with taking photos along the way as well. Just to so anyone interested how easy it was to do..

1st step is to remove the original intake piping. By taking off the dump valve pipe off & oil breather line & the clamp around the turbo intake.

Then onto taking out the original airbox.  3 bolts hold it in place, 10mm socket works for this. Then the 2 clips that just push in before you can pull them out.
It all comes out all in 1 piece.

Then it's just a matter of fitting the Torcon intake silicone adaptor to the pipe & then to the turbo intake.
Tighten up the clamps nice & snug with a 7mm socket. Attach the K&N cone filter to the end on the intake tube.
A 10mm bolt on top of the engine needs to be removed so the bracket can be mounted. You do get a longer bolt in the kit to suit.
Then attach the oil breather & dump valve line using the original clamps.

Then finally put the engine cover back on.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

There has been claims by Tork Motorsports that their intake pipe adds up to 15hp..    I'm not sure about that
But now looking at the original intake pipe, it is quite restrictive.  So I would expect that there are some gain there for sure.
Also, there was a mention in my previous thread that fuel economy will be worse..   I have been driving for the last 2 weeks with
the standard intake pipe with the K&N fitted. And my economy has been exactly the same. I average 6.1 lt/100ks
I believe if anyone is getting worse economy, then it's just a case that you are putting your foot down more & more revs.
Because of the extra noise that the intake provides.
Also I don't think that having the filter sitting in the engine bay like it is gets effected by the warm under body temps.
In a NA car, definitely YES.   Turbo cars differ because the intake air is cooled by the intercooler before it gets to the engine.
And also the air goes through a pretty hot turbo as well.  So 20-30 degrees C is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
Stop start in very heavy traffic, I would say yes. But constant driving with just a few lights.. No.

Next up is the car goes in for the exhaust work on Wednesday..  I will throw up another thread with some video footage for sound purposes..

Enjoy
Peter    :happydance:
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work Peter. Thanks for the thread! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great work Peter and thanks for sharing :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
you might want to be mindful of the air flow sensor if odd things start to happen. mushroom air clearer on the commode caused issues long term kept blocking the sensor.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
you might want to be mindful of the air flow sensor if odd things start to happen. mushroom air clearer on the commode caused issues long term kept blocking the sensor.
I believe i30’s use manifold pressure sensor so shouldn’t be an issue unless throttle body was upsized.

Bloody maff sensors on commodoors were a terrible power diminishing  design, hence why everyone gets them tuned out.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

It's been pretty close to 2000 k's since I have installed this.   With no problems what so ever.
Except for that lovely noise when the turbo spools up  :happydance:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
OK..  Just a little update to the intake..

When I found out that Torcon now also have a heat shield available for the intake pipe. I contacted KDMHolic  to see if it was available as a stand alone piece.
I was told that it is only available as a kit with the intake pipe.  So after mentioning that I have already brought the pipe through them & I would like the heat shield.
More for the look in all honestly. As it just looks a lot neater..   He mentioned he will ask Torcon if it can be available as a stand alone piece.
Which took almost 2 weeks for them to decide that they can sell them as a stand alone piece.   As soon as he came back that it is available.
I brought it though their eBay store..   I received it on Monday, Thou I was on my way back from Melbourne.   Had to do a cpl of day shifts at work..
Then today, on night shifts for the weekend. Went out & fitted it all up.  Went together pretty easy..    Makes the engine bay look way better than just an open area for the filter..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks good and will be more efficient, I’m guessing it’s got a side and lower shield to block circulation from underneath  :undecided:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Looks good and will be more efficient, I’m guessing it’s got a side and lower shield to block circulation from underneath  :undecided:

Yeah it has the engine side panel as well.  Pretty hard to take a photo off..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
It's a nice neat fit :goodjob2: now to make benefit of the extra available air :D :link: 2018+ i30-Elantra GT 1.6 Turbo Big Bore Throttle Body - Shark Racing

It's not a perfect fit. As it is for the Elantra SR Turbo.  But it does fit the i30 quite well..  Just had to drill a 7mm hole of the far edge to put a bolt through.
But 100% agree. It does make it a lot more pleasing on the eye..

Not sure about a throttle body would make that much difference to a std engine. I would think an upgraded intercooler would be the 1st thing you would need.

I think this would be the next option I would go for..  But could possibly get it made locally for cheaper than getting it shipped over from the US.
The standard pipe is mainly rubber hose & is quite restrictive.    :link: Elantra Sport OEM Intercooler Hot Pipe Upgrade by SXTH Element Engineering

This video shows it being replaced. Which is quite an easy operation..  :link: Hyundai Elantra Sport Intercooler Pipe How To Install - YouTube

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes you'll get a much better result using an upgraded intercooler as well, the stock throttle body on yours is only 56mm so an upgraded 60mm will work wonders, especially since the manifold intake port is also 60mm :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes you'll get a much better result using an upgraded intercooler as well, the stock throttle body on yours is only 56mm so an upgraded 60mm will work wonders, especially since the manifold intake port is also 60mm :)

Really? An email offered me a 4mm enhancement once... I ignored it, didn't think it would make much difference!   :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Really? An email offered me a 4mm enhancement once... I ignored it, didn't think it would make much difference!   :crazy1:
Probably depends on if you’ve got enough to start with but I think you’d get better results with 4 inches  :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:offtopic: as usual , Dazz please try to understand these threads      :rolleyes:     .....

.....but  :hahaha:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

Agreed. As apparently the stock intercooler is quite restrictive on the inlet & outlet..

But it's not a cheap upgrade to do.. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Agreed. As apparently the stock intercooler is quite restrictive on the inlet & outlet..

But it's not a cheap upgrade to do..
Yeah performance stuff is never cheap :( did you see the Shark Racing Elantra Sport intercooler :link: 2017+ Elantra Sport Performance Intercooler Kit - Shark Racing being a bit larger will have better efficiency and works out to $1050 including shipping.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal