i30 Owners Club

CCleaner becomming adware

CraigB · 10 · 2277

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For those of you who use CCleaner to keep your systems tidy may or may not know that Avast acquired them several months ago, promises were made that they wouldn't mess with the product and leave it in the hands of the previous developers.

Much of those promises have held, though now that Avast has corporate greedy shareholders wanting their piece of the pie it was only time before CCleaner became adware/spyware, as of the latest update 5.44 offers are continually displayed every time the program is opened and the program is reporting home much more information than previously.

If you're using third party firewalls then it's quite simple to block the outgoing data transmission which will in turn block the advertising, the other option is to shove it up Avast's clacker and install another program with a similar feel and options layout that retains an equally safe reputation.

Complaints on the Avast forums are building and on Widers Security forums and many including myself are moving to the free version of Privacy Eraser which in my use of over the last week has been very reliable.

Do yourself a favour and stick it too the man :link: Privacy Eraser: 1-click browsing history deletion, PC optimization & more

The Avast/AVG antivirus programs are going this same route now days as well so you might see me here more once I get the boot from Avast :snigger:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 14:19:50 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, Craig. Will do. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
@CraigB

With CCleaner I can keep cookies for selected web sites irrespective of which browser I use.

I can't see how to do the same with Privacy Eraser.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB

With CCleaner I can keep cookies for selected web sites irrespective of which browser I use.

I can't see how to do the same with Privacy Eraser.
@AlanHo

Right here my good man :) clicking on the 3 dot tabs will provide save cookie options.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thank you - I will try that.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For anyone wanting to stick with CCleaner then there may possibly be a way to prevent advertising, using regedit navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and look for AvastAdSDK and delete if you have then exit regedit.

Then from within CCleaner go to Options/Cookies and save the cookie pictured below and hopefully that kills Ad's for you :Prayer: till next time :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've got rid of CC Cleaner  on my most used laptop and gone to the other product you recommended (seems ok so far) thanks Craig.  :goodjob:

See you early next week!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've got rid of CC Cleaner  on my most used laptop and gone to the other product you recommended (seems ok so far) thanks Craig.  :goodjob:

get together time?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

get together time?

I'm over for a couple of weeks for my Dad's 96th Birthday, 8th to 21st July.  So we might get a chance to catch up.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal