i30 Owners Club

Oil on lower FD engine cover

Paolo5 · 16 · 8190

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

My FD has now done 90,000km and I have owned it since new. I remove the lower engine cover every 2nd oil change to have a peek. It has always had oil on the side that faces the engine. I remove the oil each time.

I have a drip tray under the engine and it shows some drops...but most oil collects on the engine cover.

What you can see in the photo has accumulated over 10,000km. I just checked the dipstick and it is showing a couple of mm below the full mark.

Does any other diesel owner have oil on their cover like mine?

Should I be worried?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you tried inspecting around the engine to see where it might be coming from :undecided: it could be coming from any number of places but any leaking is always serious, once oil gets over bushes - rubber boots and wiring those parts will deteriorate much mores quickly.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Craig,
There is no oil residue on either the driver's side or the passenger's side of the engine...and none at the back either.
It seems to be on the left side of the middle  :head_knock:... the oil filter is on the right side of the front of the motor (but it doesn't seem to be coming from the oil filter).

I just rang my mechanic who told me that he gives a yearly service to another FD that has the same issue...but that one has travelled 480,000km!!

I have it booked in with him next Tuesday. He is going to use some degreaser and then take the car for a run and check it again. He can put the car on his hoist and have a good look.

There is nothing obvious to me just peering in/under and around the engine...and I know that a tiny bit of spilt oil spreads out and looks like a lot. The subframe? that the bottom cover attaches to is also covered in oil.

The weird thing is that there has been oil on this cover from the first time that I looked...when the i30 was a mere puppy!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With any luck it is just a little spilt oil during service top ups, unless openly obvious the only way to trace down leaks is to degrease the engine as your mechanic has suggested.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi my friend, I would not be concerned about such a small amount of oil. Rest Easy  :D
As Graig has said , clean up and watch for the drip lines.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi my friend, I would not be concerned about such a small amount of oil. Rest Easy  :D
As Graig has said , clean up and watch for the drip lines.
staring at the ceiling again Gary?  Those damn drip lines . :happydance:

Well I own 3 of these.  No real drama in that area. . 388000k 230000k 77000k motors.  Hatch auto however had valve body replaced and they used a gasket instead of OEM sealant. That will not seal and weeps. Also the sump plug crush washer should be replaced every time. I have had one stick  and accidentally stuck another on top of it and that gave me a  leak.  Serves me right for not getting right under to check it was clear.

All I can think of  apart from a weeping  seal or gasket.  Looks pretty slow not exactly wet with oil.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks guys...

I plan to do an oil and filter change on Wednesday. I will have a better look when I am underneath.
I will also report back with the mechanic's findings.

Curious though....do your diesels have any oil on this cover at oil change time?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Also the sump plug crush washer should be replaced every time. I have had one stick  and accidentally stuck another on top of it and that gave me a  leak.

:rolleyes: how could such a perfectionist fail so abysmally.

:happydance: to you too.   :evil:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks guys...

I plan to do an oil and filter change on Wednesday. I will have a better look when I am underneath.
I will also report back with the mechanic's findings.

Curious though....do your diesels have any oil on this cover at oil change time?

Cheers,
Paolo

The stain around the sensor and pump may indicate that a small bit of oil is escaping from the front crank seal. That is not unusual. Some do, some don't. Don't loose sleep over this. If you find a pool on the garage floor then we can say its a LEAK.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Also the sump plug crush washer should be replaced every time. I have had one stick  and accidentally stuck another on top of it and that gave me a  leak.

I know, I know but then i could have said nothing giving nothing away. It was a bit of a rush job with the car on the ground.

:sweating:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I know, I know but then i could have said nothing giving nothing away. It was a bit of a rush job with the car on the ground.

:sweating:

:link: The Tremeloes - Silence is Golden - YouTube

Silence is golden
But my eyes still see
Silence is golden, golden
But my eyes still seeā€¦

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
An update....

Have to say how amazed I was to see the engine cover when I first removed it....there was an oil sheen all over the bottom engine cover....it looked tragic  :faint:

I treated my i30 to an oil and filter change last week. There was a drop of oil on the bottom of the sump plug. It was either because it was the lowest point (and oil had gravitated there) ...or the plug was the site of the leak.

The sump plug that I have had fitted for a few years now is a "Dimple"
:link: Magnetic Drain Plugs - Dimple Products

It has a small flange that I have been a bit surprised at each time I have done an oil change. I have used a large washer in conjunction with it. I have a strong feeling that when tightening it, it hasn't been sealing perfectly.

I bought an aftermarket sump plug...it has a much more substantial flange.

I bought a white teflon washer and fitted both to my car and finished the oil change.

The next day I put the old girl on some ramps and degreased everwhere that I could see oil residue.

Yesterday I drove 200km. I parked the car over its newly-cleaned drip tray and I was extremely pleased to see no sign of oil on it this morning.

I have cancelled the mechanic's appointment....and to his credit he was happy...in spite of him missing out on some business from me.

In hindsight, I think that the slight leak was caused by bad sealing at the plug and/or spilling a bit when addling oil to the engine at oil change times....now I use a funnel made from a cutaway bottle each time.  :whistler:

Thanks for your input here guys. Much appreciated!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
An update....

Have to say how amazed I was to see the engine cover when I first removed it....there was an oil sheen all over the bottom engine cover....it looked tragic  :faint:

I treated my i30 to an oil and filter change last week. There was a drop of oil on the bottom of the sump plug. It was either because it was the lowest point (and oil had gravitated there) ...or the plug was the site of the leak.

The sump plug that I have had fitted for a few years now is a "Dimple"
:link: Magnetic Drain Plugs - Dimple Products

It has a small flange that I have been a bit surprised at each time I have done an oil change. I have used a large washer in conjunction with it. I have a strong feeling that when tightening it, it hasn't been sealing perfectly.

I bought an aftermarket sump plug...it has a much more substantial flange.

I bought a white teflon washer and fitted both to my car and finished the oil change.

The next day I put the old girl on some ramps and degreased everwhere that I could see oil residue.

Yesterday I drove 200km. I parked the car over its newly-cleaned drip tray and I was extremely pleased to see no sign of oil on it this morning.

I have cancelled the mechanic's appointment....and to his credit he was happy...in spite of him missing out on some business from me.

In hindsight, I think that the slight leak was caused by bad sealing at the plug and/or spilling a bit when addling oil to the engine at oil change times....now I use a funnel made from a cutaway bottle each time.  :whistler:

Thanks for your input here guys. Much appreciated!

Awesome.  Great to hear. Thanks for getting back to us.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
What he and she said
Well done mate  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal