i30 Owners Club

Supression orders why bother?

beerman · 17 · 2449

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I recall the first season of Underbelly wasn't allowed to be shown in Victoria due to a supression order.

Back then, people sent the episodes interstate or waited until the box set was avaliable and dutifuly dispatched it down south to their starved relatives. It was hard work, and only the truly curious bothered.

Fast foward 10 years, and there is another high profile case, a very high profile priest has been found guilty of dispicable acts.  This time the supression order is for the entire country. Again the internet (and some very brave instagram posters) have brought attention to the verdict.  The Australian news has brought further attention to the case, reporting what they cant report, speaking in well lawyered code, actively pushing people to google to find out what they are talking about.

In this day and age, what is the point?? If a jury is able to find someone guilty of one offence and not another in the same trial, does prejudice really extend to he was guilty of one offence, so this must affect his guilt in another trial.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Apparently the Victorian legal system issues more than 50% of the suppression orders in Australia.

Then there's this.

Not subject to any suppression orders. In the Sunshine Coast Daily

George Pell removed from Vatican role

by Ellen Whinnett in Vatican City

13th Dec 2018 7:36 AM

Australian Cardinal George Pell has been removed from Pope Francis' inner circle of advisers.
The Vatican has confirmed Cardinal Pell, 77, is one of three cardinals who was not reappointed to the Council of Cardinals, known as the C9, which provides high-level international advice to the Pope.
A former Archbishop of Melbourne and Sydney, Cardinal Pell retains his role as Treasurer to the Vatican, its third-highest position, although he has been on a leave of absence for 18 months.
Chilean Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz and Congolese Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya were also not reappointed.
The Vatican said the Pope had decided in late October not to reappoint the three cardinals at the end of their five-year tenures.

The Pope's decision came after a meeting of the C9 in September, which none of the three men attended.
However, the Vatican only announced the Pontiff's decision on Wednesday.

Note the announcement on Wednesday, the day after the jury reached a verdict in the case subject to the suppression order.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks guys, haven't caught the news for a couple of days.
Just googled G. Pell guilty , went to a USA site that said the order across AUS was in force.
Even the Catholic News has the verdict - unanimously guilty .
I hope he goes to jail and gets his own back with interest.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wikipedia entry is up to date.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Local radio has just said that he's not being appointed as Treasurer by Vatican possibly due to reasons that are contained in an Australian wide Court supression order.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
He is 77,  there will no doubt be an appeal which will take a fair amount of time,

Then another appeal.

I suspect it ends when he is recalled by his maker.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
He is 77,  there will no doubt be an appeal which will take a fair amount of time,

Then another appeal.

My guilt is that until now, I missed this. Beerman I bow to you. Thanks  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Then another appeal.

Probably be diagnosed with dementia,  etc, get SFA.  :disapp:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Then another appeal.

Probably be diagnosed with dementia,  etc, get SFA.  :disapp:

He is already too sick to fly long haul.  :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

In this day and age, what is the point?? If a jury is able to find someone guilty of one offence and not another in the same trial, does prejudice really extend to he was guilty of one offence, so this must affect his guilt in another trial.

This is not an ideal situation but one must accept that His Honour has not been influenced by State or Church.
I note that further charges are pending and the suppression order may be intended to avoid prejudicing those matters.
Probably the most important fact is that radio scum such as Allan Jones et al. are gagged.

Thanks mate. :goodjob2:

As an early contributor to that page and as a Wikipedia contributing editor (10 years), it was on my watch list., but I missed this update.
The page was becoming loaded with unfounded statements and was being constantly vandalised , so it was decided that only a few trusted editors could access it. This is not usual Wiki policy.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

This is not an ideal situation but one must accept that His Honour has not been influenced by State or Church.
I note that further charges are pending and the suppression order may be intended to avoid prejudicing those matters.
Probably the most important fact is that radio scum such as Allan Jones et al. are gagged.

Thanks mate. :goodjob2:

As an early contributor to that page and as a Wikipedia contributing editor (10 years), it was on my watch list., but I missed this update.
The page was becoming loaded with unfounded statements and was being constantly vandalised , so it was decided that only a few trusted editors could access it. This is not usual Wiki policy.
@nzenigma

I suppose you sing and dance as well you talented bastard   :lol:  :rofl:  :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D
Nah rather a talent-less bastard, but thanks anyway, Mick.   :D

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Actually you haven't been Bastard for over a month!  :evil: Sorry couldn't resist!  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Surprise surprise...

He's just hobbled into the hospital.  :evil:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Getting a castration?
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal