i30 Owners Club

Lowered spring for PD i30

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I have been given confirmation that these Eibach springs fit the PD i30 SR.
And they are available in stock in Australia.

With Eibach being a solid European manufacture.  These look good at the price..
Also designed to work with the factory dampers..

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/eibach-pro-kit-springs-fits-hyundai-i30-n-pd-2016-on-e10-42-040-06-22

:link: PRO-KIT | Performance Springs | Eibach.com | Performance Suspension | English | Europe
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I ran Eibach 9 kg rear springs with KW Variant 3 coilovers on my 2006 STi and liked them, a quality spring. 

(The KW's came supplied with progressive 3~7 kg rear springs which was not suitable in design or firmness for my purpose).

Presumably you are thinking of buying front and rear springs?   What spring rates are you looking at?

May I ask why are you swapping out springs on a PD?  Do they need replacing; are you going to track the car; or, is it for more street cred. :)

Do you know the OEM spring rates (F & R) of your car?  (I don't know what mine are).

I'm not being a smart-ass, but may I say that unless you have the right quality tools -- spring compressor, and impact gun or big breaker bar for tight nuts & bolts -- and have played with springs before (and can have a mate there helping you) it's safer to get a (suspension) workshop do the work.       

EDITED to correct reference to spring compressor and impact gun.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:25:26 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Eibachs are great, got them on mine with 20mm drop.

They work fine with standard shocks though rebound is a little loose and would benefit more with the matching Bilstein shocks.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I ran Eibach 9 kg rear springs with KW Variant 3 coilovers on my 2006 STi and liked them, a quality spring. 

(The KW's came supplied with progressive 3~7 kg rear springs which was not suitable in design or firmness for my purpose).

Presumably you are thinking of buying front and rear springs?   What spring rates are you looking at?

May I ask why are you swapping out springs on a PD?  Do they need replacing; are you going to track the car; or, is it for more street cred. :)

Do you know the OEM spring rates (F & R) of your car?  (I don't know what mine are).

I'm not being a smart-ass, but may I say that unless you have the right quality tools (spring compressor, impact gun or big breaker bar. etc) and have played with springs before (and can have a mate there helping you) it's safer to get a (suspension) workshop do the work.       

There was a post earlier this month asking if springs are available for the PD.
But that thread has been locked..  So I have just put out the info on a new thread..

Am I looking into replacing them? Do they need replacing?   My car has now done 20,000ks. So they don't need replacing.
Would I like to??   After doing the google footwork. Maybe I would. But just to lower the car a little than what is is stock.
To me it does ride a little high, like pretty much all standard cars..   And with Eibach being a good manufacture. It can make sense.
Unknown to what spring rates come std. And I'm not sure if Hyundai Aust make that public knowledge.

Eibachs are great, got them on mine with 20mm drop.

They work fine with standard shocks though rebound is a little loose and would benefit more with the matching Bilstein shocks.

100% agree. Reports of Eibach are very good.
Matching shocks when changing springs would always help...

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Purplehazeffc.  Thanks for the reply, I understand better now. 

I appreciate that ride height/wheel arch clearance is very much a personal choice (and you're not looking at 'slamming' the car :)). 

I rang Hyundai this morning, the spring rates for my car* (2018 PD SR 1.6T) are:

Front 2.7 kg/mm, Rear 3.9 kg/mm (or, rounded off, Front 150 lb/in; Rear 220 lb/in).

As CraigB mentioned, matching springs with (new) dampers is the best way for handling...but more expensive.

If you go ahead with this mod, would be nice if you posted your impressions, comfort and performance-wise.

EDIT 1. *Only now realised after reading your turbo-problem post that your car is the same year/model as mine.  :)

EDIT 2.  Also just realised, in my first post to you I suggested if you were fitting the Eibach springs to have quality tools i.e..."spring compressor, impact gun or big breaker bar".  This was poor phrasing on my part because it could suggest the impact gun is for use on the spring compressor.  I did NOT mean that as it is considered "unsafe practice"! 

The impact gun or breaker bar are for the various tight nuts & bolts to get the shock absorber out and remove its "top".

Sorry, I can be a bit overzealous when it comes to safety when working on cars and wanted to clear up that point.  If things go pear-shaped, the stored energy in a compressed coil spring is not something you want unleashed around you. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:04:47 by TerryT »

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Purplehazeffc.  Thanks for the reply, I understand better now. 

I appreciate that ride height/wheel arch clearance is very much a personal choice (and you're not looking at 'slamming' the car :)). 

I rang Hyundai this morning, the spring rates for my car* (2018 PD SR 1.6T) are:

Front 2.7 kg/mm, Rear 3.9 kg/mm (or, rounded off, Front 150 lb/in; Rear 220 lb/in).

As CraigB mentioned, matching springs with (new) dampers is the best way for handling...but more expensive.

If you go ahead with this mod, would be nice if you posted your impressions, comfort and performance-wise.

EDIT 1. *Only now realised after reading your turbo-problem post that your car is the same year/model as mine.  :)

EDIT 2.  Also just realised, in my first post to you I suggested if you were fitting the Eibach springs to have quality tools i.e..."spring compressor, impact gun or big breaker bar".  This was poor phrasing on my part because it could suggest the impact gun is for use on the spring compressor.  I did NOT mean that as it is considered "unsafe practice"! 

The impact gun or breaker bar are for the various tight nuts & bolts to get the shock absorber out and remove its "top".

Sorry, I can be a bit overzealous when it comes to safety when working on cars and wanted to clear up that point.  If things go pear-shaped, the stored energy in a compressed coil spring is not something you want unleashed around you.

Thanks for that Terry.   Great that you have got the spring rates for the stock springs.
I might e-mail Eibach & see if they will give me the spring rates for their springs..   That might clear things up  a bit.

From reports it should lower it by 10 - 15mm.   Which would be just about perfect..

All good with changing out the springs..   I have done spring & strut replacement before on my TS Astra quite a few years ago.
So Iv'e still got my spring compressing tools, 1/2 torque wrench etc.   And now also a impact driver. Which would make it a lot easier.

But 100% agree..  It's not something you want to get wrong at any stage..

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Purplehazeffc, all good.

FYI, when I got the spring rates from young Shannon of Hyundai Customer Service (who said he got them from tech support) I queried whether there was a mix up i.e. the front spring rate he quoted should be the rear rate and the rear rate he quoted should be the front.  He said "No, Front is 2.7 kg, Rear is 3.9 kg".

Anyways, tonight I discussed this with a mate who used to help me prepare my STi for events.  He agrees that if the numbers are correct it is more likely that the spring rates are the other way around from what I was told.

So, I'm making a Captain's Call and now saying Front is 3.9 kg (220 lb) and Rear is 2.7 kg (150 lb). 
[EDIT: Bad Captain's Call, the rates apparently are Front  2.7 kg & Rear 3.9 kg].

I am sure your Eibach supplier will willingly give you the spring rates and lengths of the springs they recommend for your purpose.  It's more than likely they also will know your OEM spring rates and lengths.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable forum members can contribute to this conversation about OEM spring rates for your car.

Funny enough, I have a very nice spring tester in my garage.  So, IF you were local and IF you had the springs out of the car it would take me only two minutes to measure them. Too many IF's.  :) 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 22:45:10 by TerryT »

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I think Hyundai tech was very much correct in the the rear are stiffer...

The rates that I have got back from Eibach are as follows.

Front spring -> spring rate: 35 N/mm    Converted to Ft/pounds is 199.85     So 150 is std. Makes an increase of almost 50 ft/pounds

Rear spring -> spring rate: 45 N/mm     Converted to ft/pounds is 256.95      So 220 is std. Makes an increase of almost 37 ft/pounds.

So they make them slightly stiffer in the front to the rear..  Interesting.

On a side note. Are you able to get the spring rate for the i30N ??

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Purplehazeffc, thanks for that information.  Yes, interesting about the Front:Rear rates. I owe young Shannon from Hyundai an apology, thought he got it mixed up.

I didn't ask about the i30N but if you ring Hyundai (1800 186 306) and ask about its spring rates they should refer it to tech support.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Purplehazeffc, thanks for that information.  Yes, interesting about the Front:Rear rates. I owe young Shannon from Hyundai an apology, thought he got it mixed up.

I didn't ask about the i30N but if you ring Hyundai (1800 186 306) and ask about its spring rates they should refer it to tech support.

Cheers I might try that..   As these springs are marked as being for an i30N.
But the base platform where they all sit is the same on all i30 models.
Just the spring & damper rate would be different of course..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal