nogun · 275 · 56050

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@BrendonL  looks good.

How did you attach the bulb to the adapter?
Old superglue I just glued the h7 ring to the adapter. I doubt it’ll hold for long so I plan on trying some high temp cold weld from supercheap on the weekend.

Loctite 401 or 406 are like super glue but more permanent...  :cool:
Do you think the leds would get hot enough to melt the loctite?

I don't reckon. It's amazing stuff. A mate put me on to it a few years ago and pretty much everything I've ever used it on since has been a permanent repair. It's great stuff.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Awesome I’ll get some today and give it a go after work.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Awesome I’ll get some today and give it a go after work.

I've got the 401 and the 406 (which is supposed to be even better for plastic repair) but I think they are very much the same so either should be fine.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I got the 401 I’ll see how it goes this arvo.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
So anyone looking to buy the jw speaker direct fit h7 don’t bother those with them already be very careful 1 of my bulbs just died

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
So anyone looking to buy the jw speaker direct fit h7 don’t bother those with them already be very careful 1 of my bulbs just died
Faulty , replace or refund from seller.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Got them 3 weeks ago off eBay so hopefully the seller will replace or refund them.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Got them 3 weeks ago off eBay so hopefully the seller will replace or refund them.
Disappointing :disapp: They'll replace them no doubt, there is also a two year manufacturer warranty.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Disappointing :disapp: They'll replace them no doubt, there is also a two year manufacturer warranty.
I just read that on their eBay listing so I’ll be sending a message soon to get a replacement.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My direct fit JW's turned up this morning so I got straight to it :)

They actually fitted in reasonable easy on the GD using the suitable adaptors :link: 2pcs H7 LED Headlight Bulb Holder Adapter For KIA K3/4/5 Hyundai Sonata 9 | eBay

Only adjustment I had to make was the dust caps, another 2mm clearance and they would have screwed back on with no modifications but luckily I'd thought ahead expecting they would likely require some extra room and had small rubber boots here if needed.

The rubber boot mod would likely be suitable for the PD owners as well, a couple of these boots are what I used :link: 2Pcs 70mm Inner Dia Rubber Housing Seal Cap Dust Cover for Car LED Headlight EB 609876370981 | eBay

Core cut a 56mm hole in the dust caps

Insert the boot into the caps as shown, no glue required as they're a nice snug fit.

Gives me just enough clearance to the fuse box

Installed my Philips T10 LED parkers for a better colour match to the new JW low beams.

Only briefly tested against the garage wall at this stage, waiting for night to roll in so will put another picture up later showing them...doesn't seem to matter which way the bulbs are rotated either from my quick test as the cut off lines are still horizontal.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Some night shots, levels seem alright so I don't think I'll bother with any adjustments.

They're a little brighter than my halogen Narva Sapphire bulbs and a fair bit whiter.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good stuff Craig. Looks like a win to me.  :goodjob:

Dantrasy
@CraigB looks very good.

Are they fitted in a projector housing?

As for my attempts, I haven't had time to try anything in the car.

But I did try a washer alternative - an oblong piece of thin, but stiff, wire. Compared to the washer the chips are further forward and the whole unit is solid. Chip position matches a halogen filament. So the result should be better.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are they fitted in a projector housing?
Yes, GD’s are projector low beam the same as PD’s, they just use a different adaptor.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just ordered 2 sets of the direct fit from great wall parts - they accepted offer of $100ea for 2 pairs. May not do any better than $112.50 for one pair but doesn't hurt to try guys.
I just ordered another pair of JW direct fits from Great wall parts, for the high beams this time :)

Price has gone up to $125.99 so I thought I'd give your idea a go and offered $100 and they came back at $105, I'm happy with that :happydance:

Dantrasy
I think I recognise the shopping center roof top pic. haha And the stretch of freeway south with no lights.

The passenger side went in and looked ok first try. 

But I've really struggled to get the drivers side to look ok. I've adjusted the bulb many many times. I keep getting dark spots or a strange lit up shape above the cutoff (which also appeared when the halogen were installed).

This is how looks now. The drivers side still has the lit up shape and a dark spot bottom right. I'm not sure if this is an issue.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:04:13 by Dantrasy »

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I think I recognise the shopping center roof top pic. haha And the stretch of freeway south with no lights.

The passenger side went in and looked ok first try. 

But I've really struggled to get the drivers side to look ok. I've adjusted the bulb many many times. I keep getting dark spots or a strange lit up shape above the cutoff (which also appeared when the halogen were installed).

This is how looks now. The drivers side still has the lit up shape and a dark spot bottom right. I'm not sure if this is an issue.

I had a dark spot on my drivers side as well. Don’t know what causes it yet.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Stockland shopping centre Baldivis, the road picture was on Mundijong rd :)

I hope you get the lights sorted out, I certainly don't have black spots with mine though it is a different model.

Do any of the other N Line owners get that white box above the drivers side cutoff :undecided: looks to be very clean lines, like it's supposed to be there :undecided:

Dantrasy
There are three silver stripes inside the assembly adjacent to the projector lens. My guess is that one of these silver stripes is reflecting the light that creates the shape above the cut off. If you cover the stripes with your fingers the shape disappears. The shape appears with halogens, so yes, it must be a deliberate feature. Still, I don't like it very much.   

I can adjust the led bulb so that the shape above the cut off disappears, but the trade off is very bad dark spots, right where the hot spot should be. If I adjust so that the shape is present, the best I can achieve is 'less bad' dark spots. Either way the result against the wall is unsatisfactory and not even worth testing on the road.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Either way the result against the wall is unsatisfactory and not even worth testing on the road.
You might see a different result when testing at the correct distance, 7 to 10 meters from a wall works best to see if some adjustments are required to the beam angle.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:32:36 by CraigB »

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Managed to take a quick shot of my PD low beam LEDS from Cherry Tuning down some dodgy back street.  :sweating:

• 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Crustycottage Scott the left side of the beams seem extremely high :undecided: also that artefact above the right beam :confused:

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
Look fine to me.
Left side is supposed to kick up more.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Look fine to me.
Left side is supposed to kick up more.
Not that much, roughly 6 inches above the right beam is where the left should be at 10 meters, the angle of the shot against the corner doesn’t give the best view of the left beam though.

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
True.
There are plenty of 'how to' guides online that show the correct heights of the beam and at what distance from the wall etc.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is a model specific guide on headlight adjustments in the owners manual  :wink:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
@Crustycottage Scott the left side of the beams seem extremely high  also that artefact above the right beam

yes that "artefact" is strange but more like Dantrasy oblong block. I have not adjusted any heights ever myself. However, I did ask Hyundai to ensure they were correctly adjusted at last service in July as even the upgraded halogens bulbs were average on unlit roads.  :crazy2:

Your lights Craig seem bit brighter and more evenly spread.

I don't mind the left beam lighting up the gutter, at least a chance to see drunk pedestrians or kangaroos. will RTFM read the f*cking manual for further adjustments.  :rolleyes:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

High beams are in, plenty of room. Low beams, the adaptor (one linked previously suitable for GD) needs spacing - trip to the big green shed tomorrow to suss out a solution.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
High beams are in, plenty of room. Low beams, the adaptor (one linked previously suitable for GD) needs spacing - trip to the big green shed tomorrow to suss out a solution.
Are you sure you've twisted the adaptors far enough to click in? mine were very tight just on the last few mm till you actually feel them click in properly, especially the passenger side as access is much more restricted.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal