Appalling Multi-Vehicle Accident on UK M5 Motorway

AlanHo · 13 · 3148

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There has been a serious accident on the M5 motorway in Somerset tonight, Several people have died.

Early reports suggest that it was wet and foggy at the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15603124

My guess is that yet again vehicles were driving too close - especially lorries and white vans. I also guess that people were driving too fast in fog.  This is the inevitable result of the police doing little to prosecute drivers over many years regarding such dangerous driving habits. Tailgating is endemic on British roads. The authorities are quick enough to nick people for parking violations - but do little to address the serious problem of motorway driving standards.

Rant over - I'm going to bed to sleep it off.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thought with those who have lost loved ones,

and to the emergency services who will spend the night rendering the scene safe, patching up the living, recovering the dead and trying to work what went wrong
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

I was quite impressed with large signs above the expressways in Brisbane which constantly broadcast messages about excess speed, seat belts and TAILGATING.. it made we think and drop back a bit..

I found it quite daunting being amongst so much fast moving traffic... :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Horrific stuff, but it is little more than a week since Kim and I were out and about and commenting on the standard of driving you now see in this country.  There is multiple undertakes and overtakes going on all around you all of the time, even if you are sitting on the speed limit, loads of cars,buses, lorries and motorbikes go zooming past you on all sides, I could only liken the rush hour 30 mile trip on mainly dual carriageway as a 30 mile first lap of a Grand Prix!  Utterly ridiculous.

Only yesterday whilst driving home I had an Audi TT sitting on my jacksie as I was sitting at 40 mph about to filter off the dual carriageway to the right (ie about to cross the oncoming traffic, so effectively sitting in the overtaking lane).  It went scooting up the inside of me then proceeded to cut back across the front of me into the filter lane.  Just a bloody idiot. :Shocked:

When I was taught to drive it was my responsibility to be safe, apparently now it is my responsibility to avoid all the unsafe pinball machine drivers all around me  :undecided:

Unfortunately for all of those involved, in my mind it was and is only a matter of time :disapp:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This made the news in Oz tonight too.
Horrific stuff.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Horrific stuff, but it is little more than a week since Kim and I were out and about and commenting on the standard of driving you now see in this country.  There is multiple undertakes and overtakes going on all around you all of the time, even if you are sitting on the speed limit, loads of cars,buses, lorries and motorbikes go zooming past you on all sides, I could only liken the rush hour 30 mile trip on mainly dual carriageway as a 30 mile first lap of a Grand Prix!  Utterly ridiculous.

Only yesterday whilst driving home I had an Audi TT sitting on my jacksie as I was sitting at 40 mph about to filter off the dual carriageway to the right (ie about to cross the oncoming traffic, so effectively sitting in the overtaking lane).  It went scooting up the inside of me then proceeded to cut back across the front of me into the filter lane.  Just a bloody idiot. :Shocked:

When I was taught to drive it was my responsibility to be safe, apparently now it is my responsibility to avoid all the unsafe pinball machine drivers all around me  :undecided:

Unfortunately for all of those involved, in my mind it was and is only a matter of time :disapp:

Well, now I see the situation is quite similar to one we have got in Russia, but it gradually receding nowadays.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
There is multiple undertakes and overtakes going on all around you all of the time, When I was taught to drive it was my responsibility to be safe, apparently now it is my responsibility to avoid all the unsafe pinball machine drivers all around me  :undecided:

Have you been watching Ice Road Truckers - Deadliest Roads, set in India.

Now I wouldn't want to drive there as every trip could be your last...

re M5 - It says some may have been burnt alive in their vehicles as the heat was so intense.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Seven confirmed dead. Tragedy

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is the scene near anyone we know on the forum?  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seven confirmed dead. Tragedy

Yes, that is a terrible loss of life (and doesn't include those who were maimed for life  :undecided:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Back on topic, the police and ambulance/hospital services report that they expect more deaths in the coming days, many of the survivors are on life support and in critical conditions :undecided: :-[
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On the news last night the Police are now looking into a possibility that a firework display next to the motorway may have contributed as part of the cause to the accident.

They had a bonfire and smoke was being blown across the motorway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15615992

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15612315
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee it would be even more tragic if that was the cause.. :'(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal