i30 Owners Club

Brake problem

middy · 13 · 5554

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Has anyone else had a problem with the brakes not releasing properly?  I noticed it yesterday after picking the car up from the dealer.  After braking for a corner, I take my foot off the brake and start to let the clutch out but you can still feel the car braking.  At first I thought it was just compression braking as the clutch starts to connect, but when I was reversing into the garage last night I noticed that after taking my foot off the brake, that the brake lights remained on for a second or two and then went off.

Sticky caliper perhaps?  Missing return spring on the brake pedal?  I don't know at the moment.  I will investigate further as I do more driving today.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like a bedding-in "problem". I'd see how you go over the next 2 weeks middy mate.

Mine grabbed like hell when I first picked her up. It was like whoaaaahh at the slightest touch.

Now, they're very good with all 4 calipers grabbing evenly  :)  and smoothly
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Just did a bit more diagnosis on the way to work.  The brakes actually release slowly and not straight away.  If I am travelling downhill and I brake to a stop, when I take my foot off the brake the car holds there and doesn't roll forward for a couple of seconds.  It then starts to slowly roll forward as the brakes release.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
This will probabley sound silly, but I noticed the brake pedal on ours stick for a moment or two after release and found the carpet floor mats to be at fault. The brake pedal was scapping on the edge of the mat. After re-adjusting the mat to sit a centremetre lower. the problem went away.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check the spring connecting the pedal to the car body under the dash.

Has it been set correctly or is it catching on bodywork.

??? Is there fluid in the brake pot????
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
This will probabley sound silly, but I noticed the brake pedal on ours stick for a moment or two after release and found the carpet floor mats to be at fault. The brake pedal was scapping on the edge of the mat. After re-adjusting the mat to sit a centremetre lower. the problem went away.
I don't have carpet floor mats I'm afraid, and I checked the carpet itself, but nothing looks like it is rubbing against the brake pedal.

Quote from: "eye30"
Check the spring connecting the pedal to the car body under the dash.

Has it been set correctly or is it catching on bodywork.
Can't really see any spring from the quick look I had.  Is it easily visible.  Talk about having to be a Chinese gymnast to get your head down into the footwell!   :shock:

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Hi middy,

Get it checked out as i had a friend who had this exact same problem. She had sticky brakes and i think they fixed it for her.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

The dealer is going to look at it on Monday morning, so I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Took the car in yesterday.  The problem is not completely fixed and they want it back on Wednesday for the whole day.  They checked out the pedal box and everything checked out fine there.  They suspect a bush is binding at the master cylinder side of the car.  The master cylinder is on the passenger side you see, so there is a long pivot rod that runs across the car from the brake pedal to the passenger side.  They need it the whole day so they can see if they can reach the bush on the passenger side and it will probably involve removing large portions of dash.   :o

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Service dept. had the car for the whole day today, but they managed to fix the brake problem.  The problem was with the bar that runs across the firewall, connecting the brake pedal to the master cylinder.  The pivot housings at each end of the bar were slightly out of alignment, enough to cause the brake pedal to bind a little when released.  The guy re-aligned the housings and the brakes are now as they should be.  Kudos to the service dept. at Zupps Hyundai, Browns Plains.   :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Glad it's sorted. Brakes are important. Just like my missus, so she says  :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nizzkid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie
Hows your dash looking??
I know how much of a pain in the ar-se they are to take out...and they never seem to go back in again 100%.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

The dash looks OK to me and there doesn't seem to be any squeaks and rattles.  Maybe he only had to drop the glovebox and not remove too much.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal