Tyre Pressure

Guest · 14 · 4999

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi guys (and gals??)

OK it snowed in the Granite City last night and as I am coming in to work this morning the dash is busy telling me that the front drivers tyre is low on air.  Had a look when I dropped off the little one at nursery and it looks fine.  Checked the pressures when I get into work and they are all at about 28psi.

I am thinking that it is just cold enough at -2C for the system to kick in, however I would have thought the pressures ar a little low for the 18 inch MS wheels :?:

The manual only states that the 17 inch version should be at 32psi, no sign of the 18 inchers.  Obviously this is the pressure the car was delivered to me at so should the 18 inch wheels be lower, the same or higher than the 17 inch??

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
G-Day Brian,
I have 18" alloys on mine and I run 32psi.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Brian,

I would be running 32 all around or even 34 if it doesn't effect the ride too much...It won't hurt your tyres...and shound help your economy... 8-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Thanks all

Have gone to 32 during the cold snap we are having and will check again when it is warmer that it has not gone past 34.

Cheers
Brian

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All,

For info on "Checking your tires" go to http://www.carbibles.com/tire_bible_pg2.html and scroll down about two thirds of the way to see what this well regarded site has to say. You might find the section on "The Max. Pressure -10% theory." will set you thinking.

The entire article (Two long pages) is worth a read as is the entire site. Not just the geeky info but lots of common sense ans useful tips to enjoy.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "TheBunyip"
For info on "Checking your tires" go to http://www.carbibles.com/tire_bible_pg2.html and scroll down about two thirds of the way to see what this well regarded site has to say....
What a brilliant read that was. I found the whole article fascinating (and I'm supposed to be working here  :lol: )
 Cheers
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Bunyip that's a great site...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Enjoyable read.

I remember some of the points in the article being discussed many many years ago after an horrendous accident when tyre pressure was 1 of the contributory factors blamed for the accident.

This article explains in clear engilsh.

Thanks Bunyip
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Too much info for now, its time for some shut eye, but skimmed through it and looked good. I am running 32 psi but might put it up to say 34-36psi and see how we go.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Well....................
The 10% rule would suggest that I COULD be going all the way to 39.6psi.  Guess I'll stick around the 34 mark and see how I get on :?

Offline cmonoz

• 1st Gear
At an advanced driving school I was advised never to drive under 36psi ...having a curb/driveway problem if too low at the front I am at 38psi front and 35psi at the rear  (I noted that the tyre says 40psi max)

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Did a 200km trip on the weekend and thought the ride was a little hard.
Decided to check the pressure on my tyres. They were running 40psi (from factory)

Let them down to 32 all round and the ride is much better.
:)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Quote from: "camerooney"
Did a 200km trip on the weekend and thought the ride was a little hard.
Decided to check the pressure on my tyres. They were running 40psi (from factory)

Let them down to 32 all round and the ride is much better.
:)

Cam I'd be careful there mate.

If you checked the pressure right after driving 200km you will have a much different pressure to if you had checked them before the drive.

Tyre pressures increase as the tyres warm up during driving. This is normal. The figures that are supplied are when the tyres are cold.

You might want to check them again BEFORE you drive, you will probably find that they are down in the mid to high 20 psi now.

But I have to admit 40psi does seem a little high after driving. cold they might have been 35-36.

Regards

Daniel

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Thanks for the info Daniel.
I should have mentioned I didn't check them straight away.
:lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal