i30 Owners Club

If you have issues with the Blind Spot Detection System in PD model...

Dazzler · 14 · 33913

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My awesome 2017 1.6T PD i30 SR has been virtually trouble free over the first 32,000 kilometres driven so far, apart from several hiccups with the Blind Spot Detection system.

Anyway, typical of me I never thought to RTFM (read the manual) ..

On a US based Elantra GT Facebook group they recently discussed the issue and someone posted an excerpt from the manual. I've found and posted a clearer version here. The Radar Blocked message is apparently often triggered if you drive on a quiet country road because the system does a self check and thinks it isn't working (no traffic detected) This is in line with when it happened to us. So that is good to know.

Mine was reprogrammed at my last service and so far so good.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
RTFM would be B3 in Indonesian - Baca Buku, Bodoh (read book, idiot) :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Do you know what exactly did they do?
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do you know what exactly did they do?

Not sure sorry Hati. I think from memory I've had three different messages regarding BSM come up over the 14 months i've had the car. The first two I think they said "we reset the software" or something like that and I stopped getting the message.

Then more recently I started getting the radar blocked one. I got it supposedly reprogrammed at the 30K service and haven't had the message come up again in the last 9 weeks (2000 kilometres)

I have not been driving quite as much as usual and had 2 weeks in WA in that time. Mostly shorter trips lately except 650 kms this weekend just gone. I'm half expecting it to still happen as per the manual if I drive long enough on a quiet stretch of road. Traffic was pretty steady over the weekend.

The worst occurrences happened on our road trip to Queensland in March/April on long quiet stretches of road in central NSW.  :cool:

Offline Romiman

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      somewhere between Hamburg and Berlin
Mi i30 PDE displayed "Spurwechselassistent prüfen!" ("Check blind spot detection system") the second time since the 3 month I have it.
For the last time, the dealer have resettet the system and it works properly for the next two month (about 4000km). Until yesterday.
  • i30 PDE Hatch; MY2019; 1.4 T-GDI; DCT; Premium

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My dealer said this: the system will reset if it does not detect anything for an extended period. That is when you get the error. My occasions align with this "statement" and it did not happen since. Then again, I did not drive out in the middle of nowhere either. He did not say how long the "extended" period supposed to be in minutes.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Romiman

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      somewhere between Hamburg and Berlin
For me this also can't be the reason. I regularly drive on highly frequented roads, the system were permanently in action, when it was alright.
  • i30 PDE Hatch; MY2019; 1.4 T-GDI; DCT; Premium

Offline The Don

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Guys I have had  the BSD light come on four times now the first three times it was reset now the rear cameras  behind the rear bumper adjusted with some special tool from Hyundai Aus so hopefully this has fixed it as each time it came on about four to five thousand klms before each service was due so fingers crossed it doesn’t come on near the 50,000klms service  as it’s starting to shit me a bit
  • 2018 i30SR 1.6 blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guys I have had  the BSD light come on four times now the first three times it was reset now the rear cameras  behind the rear bumper adjusted with some special tool from Hyundai Aus so hopefully this has fixed it as each time it came on about four to five thousand klms before each service was due so fingers crossed it doesn’t come on near the 50,000klms service  as it’s starting to shit me a bit

I had a couple of different messages earlier in my ownership experience but I can't recall any BSD error messages in the last 10,000 kilometres. (I've done around 57,500 now)

It does partly relate to the sort of driving you do. As mentioned earlier in this thread,  One of the messages "radar blocked" does happen more often on long relatively straight deserted roads where the systems self check thinks it is not working properly, but they may have re calibrated that.

Offline The Don

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Yes quiet roads will set  light on I drive from Gold Coast to Brisbane five days a week so that’s not the problem fingers crossed it’s ok now
  • 2018 i30SR 1.6 blue

Offline The Don

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Bugger the light is back on again 48404 klms so dealer getting phone call first thing Monday  anyone else having problems
  • 2018 i30SR 1.6 blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bugger the light is back on again 48404 klms so dealer getting phone call first thing Monday  anyone else having problems

Sorry to hear that. I've done another 8000 kilometres (now over 65,500) and not one BSD error.  :undecided:

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Yes we have had problems since new.  It has been re calibrated  twice and has not been working for the last 10k. Our car has 50k on it. The fault code is calibration required  but my scan tool is unable to re calibrate it. I had the car booked in a couple of months ago but the wife forgot the appointment as there was a 5 week wait for a loan car andvthe slack dealer didn't  send a reminder text. I have  told the wife it's her car and if she wants it fixed  she can organise it.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes we have had problems since new.  It has been re calibrated  twice and has not been working for the last 10k. Our car has 50k on it. The fault code is calibration required  but my scan tool is unable to re calibrate it. I had the car booked in a couple of months ago but the wife forgot the appointment as there was a 5 week wait for a loan car andvthe slack dealer didn't  send a reminder text. I have  told the wife it's her car and if she wants it fixed  she can organise it.

Must say I am lucky with my local Dealer. I think it helps I've bought about 7 cars from them and have this strong club association.  It shouldn't have to work like that but it does.  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal