i30 Owners Club

Strange sound after replacing the timing chain 1.6 CRDI D4FB

sebnet · 4 · 2022

Offline sebnet

• 1st Gear

• Lodz
Hello guys,

I have a problem with my 1.6 CRDI D4FB 116 HP engine, I'm fresh after replacing the complete timing chain, I bought a full INA kit with all gears. Mileage of the car is 255000 Km (158400 Miles). Before the replacement, it was heard that the chain is already loose and needs to be replaced, I thought that after replacing the timing, there would be complete silence, but unfortunately this did not happen. When the car heats up, a strange metallic sound is heard from the bottom of the engine. I thought the accessory drive was a problem, but I removed the accessory belt and the sound was still there. Does anyone know what the reason may be? Is this a sound from an oil pump or from a damaged shaft pulley?

:link: Strange sound 1.6 CRDI D4FB - Clyp

:link: Strange sound 1.6 CRDI D4FB #2 - Clyp

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language ;)

Thanks for your help :)
  • I30 SW 1.6 CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Unfortunately, It sounds healthy to me so whatever it is it must be slight, may need some younger ears to listen to it. I thought I could make out a faint ticking but I thought it sounded like all mine except the high mileage unit which I have with a loose chain.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sebnet

• 1st Gear

• Lodz
The timing chain kit is the original INA with gears (Exactly the same as for the first assembly), all components were replaced, and the strange sound remained...

If the engine is cold, there is no strange sound, only when the engine warms up it can be heard, when adding gas you can hear how the sound gets louder.

Is it possible that this is a sound from a worn or damaged oil pump? Or a damaged crank shaft pulley?
  • I30 SW 1.6 CRDI

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Unfortunately, It sounds healthy to me so whatever it is it must be slight, may need some younger ears to listen to it. I thought I could make out a faint ticking but I thought it sounded like all mine except the high mileage unit which I have with a loose chain.

Same. Cant make out any unusual noise. Try a local mechanic, the sound clip may be masking the noise.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal