i30 Owners Club

HYUNDAI i30 CW (FD) 1.6 CRDi 2009 Turbo change

Bignat · 4 · 2968

Offline Bignat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hey guys I’m going to be replacing my turbo in the coming days and would love it if I can get some tips and pointers from people that have previously done it . This will be first time changing a turbo (am pretty mechanically minded) so any help would be great . Cheers nat
  • 2009 i30 cw crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hey guys I’m going to be replacing my turbo in the coming days and would love it if I can get some tips and pointers from people that have previously done it . This will be first time changing a turbo (am pretty mechanically minded) so any help would be great . Cheers nat
Not sure if I can give tips, I did a turbo swap but I left it on the exhaust manifold, was very awkward done on the side of the road with ramps.  If the manifold can stay and you can get to the bolts, I'd say find 6 sided sockets, not the 12 point for  anything on the turbo, give them some pre tretment of wd40 or equivalent . Theyre brass and round very easily which I think is why I went down the manifold path.

There's a solid oil line from the base of the block to the turbo which needs undoing and there a the typical copper sealing washers, ideally use new ones, I got away reusing mine. Precharge the turbo oil port with clean oil. I've also read it's a good idea to replace the oil line too, I'd also either give the engine a fresh oil change and new filter too at the same time before you fire it up with the new turbo. Good set of long handled grips to get the intercooler hose clamps  off or if you have the correct tool even better, they are quite highly sprung and awkward to get on and off.

I'll have a quick read of the manual and see what it says
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
There's 2 oil connections, on top is the feed , single bolt and washers, under is 2 bolts, a flange, gasket and returns to the block

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal